Gun Fit; advice vs. perception

spence

Purchased the gun a few months back, felt OK in the dealers and he said it was good. My right thumb was close(ish) but not right under my nose as with some others I had tried. At a recent lesson the instructor said that the gun looked a little short. I went into the grounds shop and tried a couple of spacers between the butt and shoulder; the dealer suggested a half-inch plate. This has now been fitted, although the rib now seems flatter it feels a little wrong; slightly stretched with my usual left hand position and when mounting as I’m finding I’m pushing more outwards and then up rather than just bring the gun up to my cheek to stop it catching the vest.

I know this is early days and I probably need more time to acclimatise but was wondering if it’s better to feel right to me than look right to an expert?

How long is the LOP and how tall are you?

I’m a bit of a short-ar$e and my shotguns are @ 14¼” LOP, but if you are 6’ 1” and have long arms then you will want 15”+.

Remember that to correctly mount a shotgun you should push with both hands and bring the gun into the shoulder.

Don’t make the mistake of dropping the muzzles and pulling the stock into the shoulder, and then trying to lift the muzzles back up.

G.M.

Edited by Graham M

Two schools of thought on this one . The best is to have the gun properply fitted to you ,may cost a few bob but without a doubt the best way . Or get used to the gun by shooting it and find out the best postion to mount the gun to in your shoulder . I have shot many a gun over the years that had never been fitted to me and shot well with them . My newest gun a beretta self loader came with spacers and different butt pads to enable you to fit the gun to you . I tried all the variables and decided it fitted me better as it was out of the box .

Harnser .

Thanks all.

Graham, measured LOP at 14 15/16” now so would have been 14 7/16” prior, I’m just over 6’. As for mount I believe I’m OK bringing gun up level (not criticised by coach yesterday) it just seems an exaggerated movement at the moment. More familiarisation I guess.

Can anyone recall what the standard LOP on a Browning 425 (c 1998) would have been? I don’t recall having issues when I had one but it’s been a few years since I had to get rid of it. :hmm:

Bite the financial bullet and get it properly fitted. You can then concentrate on perfecting your shooting style, something completely impossible all the while the gun doesn`t fit and you are having to constantly adjust yourself to the stocks ill fitting dimensions.

In the long run it will pay for itself many times over.

You will never regret having your stock dimensions properly measured and your gun stock altered to match.

Bite the financial bullet and get it properly fitted. You can then concentrate on perfecting your shooting style, something completely impossible all the while the gun doesn`t fit and you are having to constantly adjust yourself to the stocks ill fitting dimensions.

In the long run it will pay for itself many times over.

You will never regret having your stock dimensions properly measured and your gun stock altered to match.

Standard LOP ona B425 I'm pretty sure is 15". Mine was anyway.

Get yourself a copy of Mike ***********s book on gunfitting. It'll help you understand about how different adjustments affect the fit and mount and also goes into good shooting technique. It will help you make up your own mind about what you want and give you a good idea if the "proffesional" your speaking to actually knows what they are talking about.

I reckon LOP is less important than things like cast and the drop of the comb. My new Maxus is proper short (3/4") less then my Beretta O/U but I shoot well with it because it comes up to my face nicely and I am looking straight down the rib.

cheers,

I am just getting a gun fitted to me now, and whilst the LOP and comb were not exactly to my measured spec (I had a gun fitting session at a shooting school last year so have the measurements for a s*s), both were barely perceptible differences and I and the gunsmith agreed it would not present any issue = no fitting adjustments needed.

Cast on the otherhand was a major matter - I am a leftie so need cast on; most guns are neutral or slightly cast off if I understand correctly so some work now to be done there to make it appropriate.

Getting the message, gun fit. So rough estimates on costs and any recommendation for the Northants/Beds/Bucks boarder region?:good:

Although, I'm planning on trading up a couple of times over the next year or so, may wait until I've a gun worth the expense and effort. Nothing against the Lamber, just you know...........

pigglet, that would make sense as the B425 was great from new.

Ta.

Im 6 foot 1 and when i had a Silver pig S it had 14 5/8 LOP and fitted me spot on. I could fire 42 gram cartridges through it and wouldn't feel a thing and i could shoot rather well with it so im not sure you need 15 inches LOP on a single trigger O/U that is however what my dad uses on his and what i have on my double trigger S/S However my grandfather at 6 foot 2 insists that the 14 1/2 LOP on his old double trigger side by side are perfect for him :) I am not so sure.

G

Philr, replied to your PM before seeing your post, re Luton :)

G. total height's not the relevant measurement I guess, unless it's ducking under a doorway. Everyone's proportions are different, I'm taller in top half rather than the bottom ie short'ish legs longer trunk. Bit of a pain in other things such as bike fit, need lower stand over compared to reach. Same sort of thing really.

At Northants you are not far from John Trayling at Courteen Hall... he's very pragmatic as a coach and on gun fit, plus he's got a good teaching set-up and style.

Does fit make a difference?? For me I suppose its about the tool being adapted to me - not me having to adjust to it and thus something less to think about (or 1 less excuse for my poor performance!!)