Help!!! please.

martin s

Assuming you are decoying them and attempting the shot within 30 yards or so, 1/4 choke in 1st barrel and 1/2 choke in the 2nd, 32g cartridges in 5's and a little bit of lead and you should be hitting them. Keep the gun moving and shoot where they will be and not where they have just been

Who knows on what you have said, but in simple trems you are not placing the lead where the bird is going to be...too high, low, behind, whatever, can you not see the wad at all???

Thanks for all replys im shooting 32g num 5 i aim in front but like you've said i may be stopping the gun on firing. I cant see any of the wad on the gun no. Thanks again

Assuming you are decoying them and attempting the shot within 30 yards or so, 1/4 choke in 1st barrel and 1/2 choke in the 2nd, 32g cartridges in 5's and a little bit of lead and you should be hitting them. Keep the gun moving and shoot where they will be and not where they have just been

Hi thanks for reply im not decoying at the moment im hiding in there flight path between fields i've looked at some decoys but un sure what to get. Sorry but only been shooting this new gun twice and not been shooting shot gun for 12 months yet.

You've asked for advice in the right place, I had help from this forum

last week regarding clay shooting. (advice I still haven't put to practice yet).

Check out this video, it may not be of much use but it's doing the rounds on here

and is enjoyable to watch.

Smoothly does it everytime.

Hi there thanks vary much just watched it and it makes a lot of sense to me for where i think i know now where i'm going wrong. Once again cheers

Hi thanks for reply im not decoying at the moment im hiding in there flight path between fields i've looked at some decoys but un sure what to get. Sorry but only been shooting this new gun twice and not been shooting shot gun for 12 months yet.

Get to a local clay ground and do some practise, ideally get a lesson on a sporting layout rather than Trap. I dont pigeon shoot but until you get the lead sorted, you wont hit consistently best place to practice is on clays where you can see the same bird at the same speed over and over until it clicks, spend £25 ish on a lesson otherwise you'll waste far more than that in carts trying to figure it out.

You also need to eliminate the obvious.

Is there a master eye problem?

Just a static test with the hand or card may say you are shooting eye dominant, but the brains a clever thing and can switch eyes when the lower periphery vision is blocked by the action even if you a shooting eye dominant.

A pattern plate test will reveal of your point of aim is the place of shot delivery. A coach should also be able to pick this up, but make sure the test is "on the gun", not just a finger pointing / hole test.

Also, if the mount / gun fit are a problem, head lifting, bead stopping , looking past the side of the action ( comb too low) will all cause problems - so, get to a clay ground, see a coach, try a pattern plate. Make sure that there are no eye problems and gun mount fit issues. Then address your technique and method of shooting.

Ditto to everything that clayman has posted.If you're a relative beginner then there is so much to learn,and so much to 'get right' between picking up the target and taking the shot.It takes time and lots of practise to get that moving gun mount the same each and every time you do it.A few lessons with a good coach will be well worth it.

Pigeons and crows are moving faster than you think;don't be deceived by those crows that just seemto be 'hanging' there in the sky,they're definitely moving!We've all been through it,so find a coach and persevere.

All above posts are really good advice,the only thing I say to people to do is put up a giant piece of card (pallet size) put a gert black mark in the center,put it in the hedges or side of a suitable backstop hill at the same distance uve been shooting at aim and fire at the mark,did the shot go where you thought? Try it a few times with freash card do it quickly once or twice to simulate a fast bird. If nothing else it will improve you're confidence knowing where you are shooting. Good luck.

Alot to be said for relaxing and shooting instinctively once you have checked out what Clayman has pointed out. My best instructor just got me to go ahead and shoot . The worst one was the bloke who kept telling me off . Guess which one got me hitting most clays ? You could go out next time and get a bag full . Take advice and enjoy the good days and the bad. We all have them. :good:

Is there a master eye problem?

It could bw as simple as clayman said here. I am right handed left eye dominant and before i knew this i was hitting about 1 in 15. After one lesson with a coach i would say that on pigeons and crows i was hitting 7 out of 10. It cost me £50 for an hours coaching but believe me it was well worth the time and money. All i do is close or squint my left eye.