Road Kill

pavman

Gents

I get to pick a few deer and birds from road kills, as my route to and from work often provides such opportunities, personally as long as the kill is fresh it seems a waste to leave such meat on the black top, I have had 3 deer and many pheasant all have been good eating, birds or ground game to banged up for the pot are used for training the lab, pretty sure there’s no pikie :) in the pavman clan before you start (Highlander) Question is do any of you guys do the same?

Pavman

com'on you knew I would...why don't you use Tesco like everyone else :)

Did hear of a guy one time who used to do that for his ferrets until they died of salmonella poisoning :) but I guess if it's fresh and genuine road kill (as oppossed to ill or old death) and you cook it thoroughly then it should be OK.

In the USA (where else) have seen little tin souvenir pots like pate labelled 'Armadillo-genuine Texas road kill' :)

There was pice on the news the other day about people who live out of the bins out the back of shops that through sarnies away as soon as they have been on the shelf for a few hours! They have now set up a service to take the stuff away to feed the homeless.

Funny that, as by law that is actually theft. Beleive it or not. :)

There was pice on the news the other day about people who live out of the bins out the back of shops that through sarnies away as soon as they have been on the shelf for a few hours!  They have now set up a service to take the stuff away to feed the homeless.

Funny that, as by law that is actually theft. Beleive it or not. :)

They call themselves 'Freegans' :)

I think the fact it is illegal was mentioned but they don't care, they just want to make people aware of how much waste there is in the world.

Perhaps we should give them Pavmans details :)

Edited by stuartp

I was always concerned about giving road kill (no matter how fresh) to my ferrets (or family), just in case it had been sick/poisoned, which is why it got run over.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was illegal to pick up dead game from the road, unless you had a game licence.

Sounds like the sort of stupid law we would have. :)

I was always concerned about giving road kill (no matter how fresh) to my ferrets (or family), just in case it had been sick/poisoned, which is why it got run over.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was illegal to pick up dead game from the road, unless you had a game licence.

If you knock a deer over for instance and kill it then pick it up you are breaking the law.

:):)

If you are following someone else who knocks the deer over and it is killed then you can pick it up no problem that is legal :lol::):)

If you knock a deer over for instance and kill it then pick it up you are breaking the law.

If you are following someone else who knocks the deer over and it is killed then you can pick it up no problem that is legal :lol::):)

if you say so

If you are following someone else who knocks the deer over and it is killed then you can pick it up no problem that is legal

Aparently, if you run over something and pick it up, it is considered poaching.

If you pick up a large animal-say a deer-at the side of the road,it should belong to the land owner(on the road,the council).

The problem is how do you know whether or not the"large animal"was put down just recently by a vet using a hypo of Heaven knows what?

This could be the end of you/your dog/ferrets/best mate/neighbour(in no particular order.

Pheasant,partridge,rabbit........different ball game I would go for it :)

Having said that last year I had 2 road kill Roe,but there again they were not there when I first passed but there shortly after. :):):lol:

if you say so

the Law says so not just me. :/:D

com'on you knew I would...why don't you use Tesco like everyone else :lol:

:):):)

Last deer was knocked down in front of Mrs pavman and I as we where a couple of cars back and we could not believe the guy pulled round it and drove off, left the deer in the road!

Bumper or full metal jacket its all the same, if its dead and a fresh kill then why let it go to waste?

I am on the Norfolk/Suffolk boarder and my route to work takes me past many farms who rear (can see the game pens in the fields) and woods with a good head of deer, its inevitably that some don’t know the highway code and end up as casualties.

What do you guys do when you shoot game or deer, you hang it for a week or so to mature and soften the meat, any road kill I have picked has been flaccid (like Highlander) and not had the riggers, a good indication of a fresh kill, in which case its in the boot and home in time for tea!

If you pick up a large animal-say a deer-at the side of the road,it should belong to the land owner(on the road,the council).

The problem is how do you know whether or not the"large animal"was put down just recently by a vet using a hypo of Heaven knows what?

This could be the end of you/your dog/ferrets/best mate/neighbour(in no particular order.

Pheasant,partridge,rabbit........different ball game I would go for it :)

Having said that last year I had 2 road kill Roe,but there again they were not there when I first passed but there shortly after. :):):lol:

if a vet had put it down you could be in trouble that why i leave them well alone there loads round my way on the sides of the road ,phesy ,rabbit hare i will pick up for the ferrets deer i leave well alone unless i seen it run over :)

I don't know the letter of the law in this area but the analysis I heard was

1. If you kill it and it is a wild animal then it is yours. You "reduce it into your possession" and it changes from being no-one's property to being that of the killer.

2. If you abandon it, it then belongs to the owner of the land. HM the Queen.

And thus it was that in the house of a certain police officer, the family regularly sat down to feast upon Her Majesty's bounty, the police officer being a servant of the Queen and entitled to remove the deer on her behalf.

Pavman,

Is this your old motor??

DeadCentre1.jpg

****** me, if that's what a roo can do i'd better be carefull.

Off to Australia for five weeks on 23rd of Jan (not rubbing it in honest :):) )

But as for picking up road kill, you can't be to carefull.

Deer once killed by any means become the property of the Land owner/ Road kills become the property of the adjacent land owner and not the Highway authority's.

This is from Deer: law and liabilties.

I believe, and so do many others, that the statement in '1.' is incorrect.

The idea is to stop people deliberatly killing wildlife with their cars.

stuartp, nice pix you are as mad as a hatter :)

Gents please don’t miss the point , as long as it was not hit by me I can pick it,

It would seem none of you guys do likewise, at ££££ per Kg I find it hard to leave good fresh meat on the blacktop, that if 500(?) yards away from the road just felled on would be deemed a sporting kill with Rifle an eaten all the same :)