Which 4x4 ?

shawi72uk

Good question and the simple answer is which ever one you can afford to run,taking into account TAX, Insurance, and running costs

although they do look quite cool sitting on your driveway for 6 months of the year :yes:

Just make sure you know a bit about mechanics and welding before you take the plunge

was thinking landy disco, landy defender, or hilux surf ?

Then get the disco,the defender is an uncomfortable rattle bus and be prepared to either do it your self or pay for others to keep it going :stupid: with your budget you should seriously look at the vauxhall frontera/four track/trooper :good:

What do you want it for???

If its for shooting in fields etc (that get boggy in the winter) then go for a pajero 2.8TD (SWB) or 4trac if you want a compact shoot vehicle or Isuzu Trooper (LWB) 3.1TD if you want a big comfortable shooting wagon. Ironically the trooper gets better milage than the pajero... As I have just found out.

If you want to go mad off road and go proper 4x4ing then I doubt you have enough money with the budget your talking off. Besides which I've got out of a serious mud bowl in a trooper. just depends what tyre you put on it (if your really concerned fit a winch)

You can pick up decent troopers or pajero's for less than £2000 - Landy's are really only for those who want to say 'I own a land rover - a proper 4x4' - that is to say Landy's are the puritans (Brits) 4x4 where as those who like a bit of comfort (like me) and have a limited budget go with the rice burners....

ive had, fourtrack,hilux,patrol,defender,navara but i would recoment the Hilux surf as my brother has one. reasonable fuel costs, enough power, excellent off road, seats 5 with ease and good on the road. i love landrovers but unless you are a mechanic avoid!! troopers are very heavy and thirsty but a good lump. most japanese 4x4 are very reliable just check the chassis for rot, imports have poor rust proofing. good luck

I think I've owned just about every 4x4 out there at one time or another.

Always end up going back to a Mitsubishi Delica.

It's basically a shogun with a people carrier body, does the lot, tons of space, great for lamping out the double sunroof.

You can find em on Ebay, sometimes listed as L400

If you are looking for a truck to go shooting in then you must look at the frontera (3rd time,i will shut up now),its brilliant the whole top lid comes off with 4 clips and you can get two people standing in the back,its comfortable,high and low gear shift,16 ats and it will do anything,mine went through all last winter on road tyres 235/70/16 and never got stuck,fuel consumption is low twentys or worse in 4wd but on the road its about 30 ish.

With 2.5k you could get a decent one and fit big at/winch/suspension lift/lights/bull bar :ernyha:

Jeep Cherokee 2.5tdi then you could run it on vegetable oil for 8 months of the year with no modification and save yourself around £40 a tank saving £1,400 a year in fuel. As the meerkat says simples...
how can you run them on veg oil and only for 8 months tell me more ???

how can you run them on veg oil and only for 8 months tell me more :hmm:

you put veg oil in instead of diesel its that simple only 8 months as when its cold the veg oil thickens up and causes blockages in the fuel system.

200/300tdi land rovers run well on it aswell or so im told ???:yes:

it will do anything,mine went through all last winter on road tyres 235/70/16 and never got stuck

Don't mean to be rude but you can hardly be doing any serious if road tyres were adequate. Show them wet grass and you spin!

If you want a comfortable road car that's more than happy off road, a huge amount of room, all mod cons and doesn't look too agricultural it has to be a hilux surf.

Mine is a 1995 gen 3 and its perfect for road use, the dog, motorway driving and throw some at tyres ok and in my eyes its an ideal all rounder. That is unless you want a pure 4x4 for shooting but then you sacrifice road handling.