camo?

fiiish1987

Hi. I've done a little bit of pigeon shooting using a brown baggy fleece and dark trousers. I've bagged a few birds but cant help feel that i stand out like a sore thumb. My shoot is all grass, with areas of longer grass (like a wild hay or something.) Ive just bought a load of deeks and i fancy some proper cammo. Only thing is i dont know what pattern is best. as there are no trees or hedges to hide in (thats a lie actually. Theres a group of conifers ans something looking very naked at one end of the vally), so i rekon advantage timber and hardwoods green will loke about as inconspicuous as a Bull elephant at the very white mouse convention at honiton! Any ideas for what would work well in this scenario (the grassland not the white mouse convention. obviously a big white mouse costume would be the appropriate attire for there (for added authenticity you could allways hold a block of cheddar as well! :lol: ))

Much has been written about matching the colour of your background not being important (remember the orange road works netting experiment ?).

Breaking up the outline and minimising movement is.

I have set up an ex MOD camouflage netting (greens and browns), on a wheat stubble field and the pigeons were not spooked at all.

I use this netting for all hide locations , in all seasons (even snow) and have never felt, or been proved, to be at a disadvantage against any other camouflage. :lol:

the birds eyesight isnt as complex as ours so aslong as you dont wear colours that arent naturaly occuring in nature i.e blue or orange, then you should be ok, a blend of greens and browns will work best, either standar military cammo or as i prefer advantage hardwood, this works in most situations, basicaly aslong as your colours dont catch there eye then youll be fin, and im a big chap with man boobs to boot so if it hide me then you shud be fin, lol haha

I'm unsure about the effectiveness of different camo patterns, having used everything from British, German, Dutch, Advantage patterns in my time, and seen no major benefits from one over the other.

I always maintain it's movement that will spook birds. Keep your head/face covered and keep still.

I'm unsure about the effectiveness of different camo patterns, having used everything from British, German, Dutch, Advantage patterns in my time, and seen no major benefits from one over the other.

I always maintain it's movement that will spook birds. Keep your head/face covered and keep still.

you mist one of my old faviortes , your dads old donkyjacket that you could hide an airgun under it . i think you will fined that camo is for the person wearing it not the quarry being stalked, like browning said its movement :lol:

Browning is right.

Hat with good brim essential, :rolleyes: but most important, keep still.

Been out with guys who, soon as they see a pigeon on the horizon, gun up (flash of barrels), face towards the bird, surprise - surprise, the bird turns away.

Bird coming, dont move, anything!!!. You only need to raise the gun when bird is in range.

Wear camo if your happy but comfort is more important.

Just back from OZ and shooting roo,s needs a whole lot of patience and keeping so so still.

RTR

When I shoot pigeons I normally wear a green baseball cap. But wife got me a trilby type hat with a wide brim for Christmas. I wore it today to keep her happy looks a bit daft but those pigeons just flew right up to me. I'll definitely wear it again - much better than a baseball cap!