Interest in Dogs

Ballymac

Was going to post a topic before, regarding the interest in buying a gundog or pet for that matter, when I read the previous topic regarding the number of people who hunt without a dog.

I would have assumed that anyone who shoots would have a dog, if not they are the type who only shoot driven days and dont need one.

Now, as I am trying to sell some pups I have noticed that other people who were trying to do the same on here recently, didn't receive great responses( they may have received pm's). I didn't expect to get that many due to geographical and numerical reasons, I am in N.ireland and the number of members from this part is relatively small. :rolleyes:

I was thinking that the lack in interest was due to the current state of the economy with people being hesitant to spend money on an item that they could do without, or possibly will cost them more.

With other posts on the previous thread stating that there are not enough dogs on their shoots you would think there would still be a demand for pups. I was wondering has the market for gundogs stalled, like most things at the moment.?

And as an after thought will prices for walked up shooting/driven days follow. (maybe a different topic)

Was going to post a topic before, regarding the interest in buying a gundog or pet for that matter, when I read the previous topic regarding the number of people who hunt without a dog.

I would have assumed that anyone who shoots would have a dog, if not they are the type who only shoot driven days and dont need one.

Now, as I am trying to sell some pups I have noticed that other people who were trying to do the same on here recently, didn't receive great responses( they may have received pm's). I didn't expect to get that many due to geographical and numerical reasons, I am in N.ireland and the number of members from this part is relatively small. :rolleyes:

I was thinking that the lack in interest was due to the current state of the economy with people being hesitant to spend money on an item that they could do without, or possibly will cost them more.

With other posts on the previous thread stating that there are not enough dogs on their shoots you would think there would still be a demand for pups. I was wondering has the market for gundogs stalled, like most things at the moment.?

And as an after thought will prices for walked up shooting/driven days follow. (maybe a different topic)

what a load of cobblers

doc

what a load of cobblers

doc

:rolleyes:

i dont shoot driven days...and i dont need a dog.

yes it is nice to have a dog SOMETIMES and work it but i enjoy meself enough without

i shoot because i enjoy it, with or without a dog...but i dont NEED 1

Edited by TJ91

I know several people who shoot and don't have a dog. It isn't always necessary but once you have had a dog you will hate going shooting without one as I found out a couple of years ago when Merlin was laid up.

If you don't have a dog you need to be prepared wo wade through mud or thrash through brambles yourself looking for anything you have shot. I know of one commercial gameshoot that doesn't allow dogs in the beating line. There are so many birds there you don't need them.

I have to say that rough shooting would be hard work without one.

I know several people who shoot and don't have a dog. It isn't always necessary but once you have had a dog you will hate going shooting without one as I found out a couple of years ago when Merlin was laid up.

If you don't have a dog you need to be prepared wo wade through mud or thrash through brambles yourself looking for anything you have shot. I know of one commercial gameshoot that doesn't allow dogs in the beating line. There are so many birds there you don't need them.

I have to say that rough shooting would be hard work without one.

i enjoy the searching side of it, but i know when i get abit older i wont be able to wade through deep mud and fight through brambles etc...so i will get a dog!

i do alot of rough shooting and i know that i most probably walk over 90% of the pheasants rabbits etc that sit tight...for that i do wish i had a dog!

if you shoot the sort of countryside i shoot in then it would be madness to go without a dog , i dont fancy crawling threw whin bushes in search of shot woodcock or swimming a icey cold river on a winters morning to get to the far side of a river for a duck what do all you shooters who claim they dont need a dog do when you have a runner i had several runners last year and without my dog them birds would of been lost

ballymac i had 2 pups for sale about 7/8 moths ago and i had 2 calls 1 women came that nite and bought 1 the orther man who rang was a know it all who wasnt the least bit interesred in buying a pup he was a time waster a local lad bought the orther pup i advertised the pups eveywhere and as i say i had only 2 calls but i had a litter last year and sold 9 pups in fact i could of sold 30 pups i found i got most calls from the gumtree site and from the local paper

Edited by monkeyboots

if you shoot the sort of countryside i shoot in then it would be madness to go without a dog , i dont fancy crawling threw whin bushes in search of shot woodcock or swimming a icey cold river on a winters morning to get to the far side of a river for a duck what do all you shooters who claim they dont need a dog do when you have a runner i had several runners last year and without my dog them birds would of been lost

ballymac i had 2 pups for sale about 7/8 moths ago and i had 2 calls 1 women came that nite and bought 1 the orther man who rang was a know it all who wasnt the least bit interesred in buying a pup he was a time waster a local lad bought the orther pup i advertised the pups eveywhere and as i say i had only 2 calls but i had a litter last year and sold 9 pups in fact i could of sold 30 pups i found i got most calls from the gumtree site and from the local paper

only shoot em my side of the water

and i dont shoot woodcock <_<

and runners...i dont have em, if i did, i would shoot em again to stop em running :rolleyes:

only shoot em my side of the water

and i dont shoot woodcock :blink:

and runners...i dont have em, if i did, i would shoot em again to stop em running :rolleyes:

I believe you <_< if you are out rough shooting without a dog then you'r just scraching about,yes you do use a bit of field craft but if you used a dog you would have the satisfaction of hunting up quarry and making good use of the land you hunt over.but then again i suppose you don't loose any shot game ( other than woodcock)or loss time or disturb other quarry when you pick up .

runners

like marathon runners?

some people need a sense of humour, of course i get runners, everyone does, but not alot we can do about is there, yes a dog helps in certain circumstances but i get along just fine without 1

i dont mind if i am just scratching about, that is what i enjoy doing so thats what i do, i dont care about blasting away at every bird mammal or whatever that moves.

a couple of brace and a rabbit or 2 does me just fine...

i dont get satisfaction from working a dog, i get satisfaction from haveing a walk about and having the odd pop at a bird or 2, whats wrong with that............nothing

each to there own fella

Edited by TJ91

like marathon runners?

some people need a sense of humour, of course i get runners, everyone does, but not alot we can do about is there, yes a dog helps in certain circumstances but i get along just fine without 1

in orther words you just let wounded birds run on :rolleyes: thats why i take a dog everytime im shooting for when a situation like that arises

Edited by monkeyboots

HI

Not everyone want the hassle of looking after a dog,to be honest.

I know guys who shoot and dont have dogs, but for me I enjoy seeing the Spaniels working and i also have a lab pup for my wildfowling and hopefully picking up etc.

Im thinking about employing someone to pickup after my dogs at home :rolleyes:<_<

I think last month there was about 40 litters of cockers for sale on one site, so i guess if you were after a pup, you maybe interested in its pedigree lines and that may influence which litter you would look at, or maybe you are not interested in its pedigree, so in which case you may just look at the price of the pups....

so depends what you are selling and what the public is looking for in a pup, which decides if you have loads of interest or not

I believe you :rolleyes: if you are out rough shooting without a dog then you'r just scraching about,yes you do use a bit of field craft but if you used a dog you would have the satisfaction of hunting up quarry and making good use of the land you hunt over.but then again i suppose you don't loose any shot game ( other than woodcock)or loss time or disturb other quarry when you pick up .

i make good use of it.

i do disturb quarry when picking up...just like a dog does..but the dog doesnt have a gun to shoot what it disturbs when picking up

in orther words you just let wounded birds run on :rolleyes: thats why i take a dog everytime im shooting for when a situation like that arises

like i said before...i would just shoot it again

i only take shots i am pretty sure of, i dont shoot at ridiculously high birds that will drop 10 fields behind if i do hit it

Docholiday cobblers to you it was only an assumption based on my experiences of shooting. I went rough shooting without a dog before and enjoyed it, but now that I have shot with a dog it makes it more enjoyable. As monkeyboots has said there are more reasons to have a dog especially rough shooting.

Thanks for your post monkeyboots, I have put them on gumtree and local paper with some interest, but as you have found last year you had no problem selling them and I was wondering how other people had got on in the last few weeks.

It is just to guage what is the demand for pups.

Also been reading some of the topics on the shooting available thread and leads me to believe that there will be a lot more days available at keener prices.

Edited by Ballymac

Docholiday cobblers to you it was only an assumption based on my experiences of shooting. I went rough shooting without a dog before and enjoyed it, but now that I have shot with a dog it makes it more enjoyable. As monkeyboots has said there are more reasons to have a dog especially rough shooting.

Thanks for your post monkeyboots, I have put them on gumtree and local paper with some interest, but as you have found last year you had no problem selling them and I was wondering how other people had got on in the last few weeks.

It is just to guage what is the demand for pups.

Also been reading some of the topics on the shooting available thread and leads me to believe that there will be a lot more days available at keener prices.

cobblers here, where did you see reduced prices, all the things I have seen shows prices still high, hoping to take a few days away from our shoot but 200 bird days 600 - 1500 still

doc

TJ you don't know what you'r MISSING . :hmm:atb have a good season.

maybe i am missing out but i have fun doing what i do.

i will get a dog 1 day, no doubt about it, i would love to have 1, all i am saying is i dont necessarily need 1!

there are a lot off people that shoot that just dont have the time for a dog end off story really, so should they stop shooting? i have 2 dogs but 1 is a pup still an they live in as we cant have kennels where we live.but i have just started working full time nights an my wife works 9am till 6pm i work 6pm till 7 am most days, so i'm considering letting my dogs go as its not fair on them with being in the house all day an most the night

simple fact is you can shoot fine without one but having one is a nice experience and you gain a lot from working one as well as having backup when needed but they aren't essential

p.s Pavman best post on this thread so far :rolleyes:

Edited by al4x