328 pigeon, another brilliant day

Elby

Well, what can I say. Last Saturday evening after we'd shot 104 woodies, 6 ferals, 6 crows and our first canada's I was absolutely made up and said that it would be a very long time before we bettered it. Then today, 288 woodies, 33 ferals, 4 carrion crows, 2 jackdaws and a rook between us - OMG. Shot 122 woodies, 11 ferals, a crow and my first jackdaw to myself today. Also, I reckon we lost another possible 30. Dad had the best kills to cartridges ratio with 1.5:1, I had 2:1 and Tayler had 2:1 which was all good seeing as we were tail shooting as well. We both shot 20 bores and dad shot a 12 bore with 3/4 and full choke as he loves to shoot long stuff and is bloody good at it as well.

Thank you so so much Les, what a day. Been totally spoilt. See you soon, cheers Cameron.

P.S. 390 woodies, 39 ferals, 13 crows and 2 geese off of 1 field in a week.

Edited by Cam-S94

Well, what can I say. Last Saturday evening after we'd shot 104 woodies, 6 ferals, 6 crows I was absolutely made up and said that it would be a very long time before we bettered it. Then today, 288 woodies, 33 ferals, 4 carrion crows, 2 jackdaws and a rook between us - OMG. Shot 122 woodies, 11 ferals, a crow and my first jackdaw to myself today. Also, I reckon we lost another possible 30. Dad had the best kills to cartridges ratio with 1.5:1, I had 2:1 and Tayler had 2:1 which was all good seeing as we were tail shooting as well. We both shot 20 bores and dad shot a 12 bore with 3/4 and full choke as he loves to shoot long stuff and is bloody good at it as well.

Thank you so so much Les, what a day. Been totally spoilt. See you soon, cheers Cameron.

P.S. 390 woodies, 39 ferals, 13 crows and 2 geese off of 1 field in a week.

that is some tally off one field are there any other stubbles in the area? if not that would explain why they are concentrated in that particular spot

that is some tally off one field are there any other stubbles in the area? if not that would explain why they are concentrated in that particular spot

The field we shot over was one of the last ones in the area. When we arrived at 8am we pushed about 700 off of the field. However, on the way there, the pigeons were everywhere, on drillings and disced stubble despite a lot of rain yesterday which made the ground very sticky.

Once again, thanks for another outstanding day on the woodies.

Wont beat that in a long time if not ever.

Dad says that I look like I've been on the Stella but its from firing all the carts :lol:

Thanks, another day to remember :good:

See you soon on the drilling.... after I get some more cartridges :lol:

The field we shot over was one of the last ones in the area. When we arrived at 8am we pushed about 700 off of the field. However, on the way there, the pigeons were everywhere, on drillings and disced stubble despite a lot of rain yesterday which made the ground very sticky.

[/quote

its the same round us good numbers of birds but a lot of stubbles;breaking them up so we are making 40 bags;where a 100+bag is possible :good:

I expect that woodland in the background has something to do with it..

And a large town on the other side provided a steady supply of scabbys. (Ferals) :good:

I found the birds to be quite decoy-shy and very few woodies actually committed and came in, despite me changing the pattern several times and using all dead birds.

The pattern did work by pulling birds off two flightlines to have a look but the rotary was an absolute no-no. I set it up and both flightlines dramatically shifted away from it.

Many thanks to Sir Les (Elby) for putting us on the pigeons yet again. He expertly placed all three of us under decent flightlines that were like pigeon motorways with two-way traffic. Awesome...................................The best pigeon guide in the area.

And a large town on the other side provided a steady supply of scabbys. (Ferals) :yes:

I found the birds to be quite decoy-shy and very few woodies actually committed and came in, despite me changing the pattern several times and using all dead birds.

The pattern did work by pulling birds off two flightlines to have a look but the rotary was an absolute no-no. I set it up and both flightlines dramatically shifted away from it.

Many thanks to Sir Les (Elby) for putting us on the pigeons yet again. He expertly placed all three of us under decent flightlines that were like pigeon motorways with two-way traffic. Awesome...................................The best pigeon guide in the area.

How many decoys did you use including shot birds? the pigeons round here spook if I use to many decoys I have been using 7-10 only, find they come close enough for a look but spook if to many out :good:

How many decoys did you use including shot birds? the pigeons round here spook if I use to many decoys I have been using 7-10 only, find they come close enough for a look but spook if to many out :yes:

You could well be spot on. I had a dozen out and know what you mean. I had birds flaring over the pattern and went to have a look suspecting a bird belly-up but it was just a large number of shot birds around the pattern.

My youngest son DoubleTap was 500 yards away with 8 birds (mainly flocked shells!) in his pattern and the birds poured in for him.

My 2 flightlines were leaving the field over me into the sun yet DoubleTap was getting the return flight in the centre of the field with the sun behind them.

Oh the joys of pigeon shooting..............too many ifs and buts.