Bedford Rascal and similar little vans

njc110381

Right lads. The other day I was driving past a small local car dealership and spotted one of these things parked outside. I think it was actually a Suzuki Carry? They want £1k for it and it's done about 40k miles. I'm thinking it could be a useful addition for the days that I only need to carry a spade and fork to work to do light maintenance in peoples gardens? It was a pickup, so could even be piled fairly high with cuttings as long as they're not heavy.

What MPG do they offer? It was a 1.3 16v which tells me it should do a lot better than the 2.5tdi Defender that I have now! I wouldn't sell the Landy, rather just only use it when I need to tow/carry/ram things that are heavy. I think I could get my £1k back in about four month just in fuel savings alone? Ok I'd have to insure it but I can't imagine it's going to be a group 20?!

Does anyone here use/own one? Are they any good for light duties or are they just too small and light to be practical?

Sooty thought they were great :yahoo:

That's exactly what I used to think. For years I laughed at them and to an extent I still do now. They're funny little vans! With things being as tight for us as they have been recently all my self respect has gone out of the window! If I can run a van on 1/3 the fuel my landy uses I think it's well worth consideration. In a year it could save me enough money to buy a decent gun! :good:

simply put wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, check really well for rust and don't bet on the economy being fantastic, better than a defender but not much. Tin worm usually gets them before the mechanicals give up though

Sorry, only just noticed your reply! Is the fuel economy really that bad? I was thinking they'd do at least 40 to the gallon!

My mate's nickname is 'corbett' Thats not his name but he used to have a sooty van. Bright fricken orange it were too!. Got scrapped after three fake mots and a wooden passenger floor. Just an aside Corbett is a drummer and used to ferry his kit about in said sooty van!

Sorry, only just noticed your reply! Is the fuel economy really that bad? I was thinking they'd do at least 40 to the gallon!

We used to have a works pick up one.......(oooops our was a honda acty van)

We could get 40mpg if driven sensibly.......

they are a very capable little pick up if used properly......

i know a guy who had a camper one (just him and his dog) went all over europe in his.... :yahoo:

dont let them put you off, they're just jealous.....

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

I'm assuming its the same engine as in the Suzuki SJ's which 40mpg with me driving was never possible. Bear in mind the only money you save is the difference between that fuel cost and your defenders, 10-15mpg difference is one hell of a long way that you have to travel to save 1K in money terms. Then you have another MOT and tax on top I'd be surprised if you saved anything

Rascals are horrid little vans.The tiny sewing machine engine has zero power and vibrates uncomfortably under your bum which might be nice for the ladies,but not men.The crumple zone is your knees should you have an accident and unless your planning on hauling more than 40 fags i wouldnt bother!

Edited by Imperfection

All points taken on board chaps, and thanks for the opinions. Quite often I need talking out of these wonderful ideas I have! So far I've been quoted £300 for insurance, so then there's tax and MOT every year on top of that. It really doesn't make sense with my current situation.

Where the idea stems from is that at some point in the future I want to buy a classic Unimog. Some of my work would cover it's use but some wouldn't. The tax class as an agricultural vehicle counts out using it for anything other than a towing unit or implement carrier. It would be great to run a chipper, log splitter and large mower with but for smaller jobs it will be too much. So I need a second vehicle and ideally a cheaper one than my Defender. It wouldn't need to be 4x4 (although it's always a bonus) and it wouldn't need to have the power for heavy towing or the solid front end for ramming things that need adjusting. The Mog will do that nicely.

I was thinking a Rascal could be the answer but if it's not that cheap to run then perhaps I may look for something a little bigger. Perhaps even something like a Fourtrak would do to bung small tools in and tow a small trailer?

All points taken on board chaps, and thanks for the opinions. Quite often I need talking out of these wonderful ideas I have! So far I've been quoted £300 for insurance, so then there's tax and MOT every year on top of that. It really doesn't make sense with my current situation.

Where the idea stems from is that at some point in the future I want to buy a classic Unimog. Some of my work would cover it's use but some wouldn't. The tax class as an agricultural vehicle counts out using it for anything other than a towing unit or implement carrier. It would be great to run a chipper, log splitter and large mower with but for smaller jobs it will be too much. So I need a second vehicle and ideally a cheaper one than my Defender. It wouldn't need to be 4x4 (although it's always a bonus) and it wouldn't need to have the power for heavy towing or the solid front end for ramming things that need adjusting. The Mog will do that nicely.

I was thinking a Rascal could be the answer but if it's not that cheap to run then perhaps I may look for something a little bigger. Perhaps even something like a Fourtrak would do to bung small tools in and tow a small trailer?

I sit opposite this place whilst on standby sometimes, all sorts of wild and wonderful unimog contraptions. http://www.southcavetractors.com/

Right lads. The other day I was driving past a small local car dealership and spotted one of these things parked outside. I think it was actually a Suzuki Carry? They want £1k for it and it's done about 40k miles. I'm thinking it could be a useful addition for the days that I only need to carry a spade and fork to work to do light maintenance in peoples gardens? It was a pickup, so could even be piled fairly high with cuttings as long as they're not heavy.

What MPG do they offer? It was a 1.3 16v which tells me it should do a lot better than the 2.5tdi Defender that I have now! I wouldn't sell the Landy, rather just only use it when I need to tow/carry/ram things that are heavy. I think I could get my £1k back in about four month just in fuel savings alone? Ok I'd have to insure it but I can't imagine it's going to be a group 20?!

Does anyone here use/own one? Are they any good for light duties or are they just too small and light to be practical?

I had a rascal for 5 yrs, it was one i cut and shut back in the day, very good little van used it for all sorts but mainly as a run around, they like the synthetic oil as the 1000cc engine has small galley ways and cheap oil will gum up.

I run mine on it for 5 yrs, then sold it to a florist who had it for 4 yrs!

TEH

I sit opposite this place whilst on standby sometimes, all sorts of wild and wonderful unimog contraptions. http://www.southcavetractors.com/

I think it's only new kit they sell? I'm after an old 406/U900 round cab. There's no way I could afford a new Mog, you don't see much change from £100k!

I think I'll give up on the Rascal idea for now, at least for as long as I can't afford a Mog!

The best thing I have ever owned was the subaru Sumo van selectable 4wd if you got stuck you opened the door got out one foot on the go pedal and the other pushing.

On a more practical note I am in the same work as you nick all I have concerntrated on doing is only seeking work within 15 clicks max of home and plan so work is one area one day etc .

I run a defender and spend no more than £40 a week on juice the outlay for another van is outweighed but insurance tax etc.

Regards OTH

What about a berlingo or Combo LPG? rareish some around can tow a small trailer, cheap as chips to run...http://www.lpg-car.co.uk/pub/show_vehicle/515 etc considering one myself at some point....

Of the bedford rascal type there are quite a few, Suzuki and Daihatsu some even have a 600cc engine! Can be made to look the part.......

deck%20van%20front.jpg

100_3356.jpg

100_3447.jpg

100_3371.jpg

Edited by HDAV

I own a Rascal Camper (not the sooty van) but a minibus like camper conversion

danbury_1.jpg

Bedford rascal Danbury and to be honest I find it's perfect for a couple on their own. It is a 2 berth with 2 burner hob / sink / wardrobe and loads of under seat storage etc it's unbeleivable what's in such a small van.

It's only done 66.000 miles and runs really well returning about 43 to the gallon on the 970cc engine and will cruise all day at 50-55mph.

Yes (rust) is an issue with these vans but mine is 23 years old and only requires the front O/S wheel arch welding. It passed it's MOT about 3 weeks ago but needs a new wheel arch panel welded in (under £40) for the panel and just the cost of welding it on.

Engine is solid as is the rest of the van for 23 years old.

We were looking to sell this to move up to the Bambi next year

What about a berlingo or Combo LPG? rareish some around can tow a small trailer, cheap as chips to run...http://www.lpg-car.co.uk/pub/show_vehicle/515 etc considering one myself at some point....

don't believe what it tells you, the diesels are cheaper to run and definitely a lot more reliable we run a few astra LPG's and it works for us as they are in London every day so saves £8 a day congestion charge. If it didn't then they would be gone the next day unreliable heaps that they are. Heads need an overhaul at 100K sensors and EGR valves seem to go so regularly its unbelievable. MPG on gas is about 25-30 in town, the diesels do 50mpg and don't break down all the time, as for engine management lights we now ignore them till something breaks as otherwise they are in being read every other week.

NJC cheapest option for your line of work I'd suggest would be a decent pickup rather than this defender nonsence 30mpg and reliable you will struggle to beat them for running costs by having two vehicles