Danny Nineham Big Cat Expert.

Frenchieboy

I was talking to a relative from the West Country about "General Country Matters" and the subject of "Big Cats" came up. While I am a bit sceptical about their existence in the Countryside around Great Britain I know that there are some who firmly believe in them. This chap web site was pointed out to me and I was wondering what you guys thought of it. I was led to believe that he has told people that he is allowed to use a rifle to track and shoot any big cats he finds, is it possible that he has a FAC with the condition to shoot "Big Cats out in theConntryside", I find that questionable, and even if he does I bet he doesn't get through much ammunition! I have to say that I am still very sceptical as some of the photos of "Big Cats" on the site on the "Sightings" page just don't look right to me and one or two (In my opinion) are just domestic moggies with nothing nearby that can be used to get a true impression of their size. Anyway, here is a link to the site, have a look and make your own minds up guys!

http://dannynineham.150m.com/index.htm

Edited by Frenchieboy

A BIT Questionable?:D?

Is this guy for real- no evidence to suggest he actually shot and killed a "Big Cat" on his webpages - and by Big Cat Im not talking about a large Feral Tom cat- we've all come across if you shoot around farm buildings as I do!

Beast of Bodmin?:D I think I dated her in my youth :blink: :):)

There are no doubts in my mind that the possiblity of Large predatory cats being in remote area's as they, by the nature of a big cat will shun human contact- the images displayed on this web site of his- could have been images of a dead roe, thnat had been found by a fox or foxes and half eaten- Ive come across sheep looking like that which have died in Lambing and the fox fancies a free easy meal

Im not convinced!

Les :blink:

Edited by Lez325

the whole remote area thing just doesn't wash, most of it is hunted over at the very least and you're only got to look at the US to see that hounds hunt big cats and tree them, it would be hard not to believe if it had ever happened in the UK but it hasn't. The existence of the odd lynx is one thing but big cats quite another. For a start it would require a breeding population as they only live about 15 years so since the dangerous wild animals laws came in you would be into second generations of them which means more than one is out there in a certain area.

The summer of 2000 saw me at Trelleck, Monmouthshire, after Chief Inspector Nigel Russel of Gwent Police called me out to investigate an incident where 11year old Josh Hopkins was injured by a female leopard in its black form which we call a black panther. There, I took charge, and flew in the forces helicopter with heat-seeking equipment surveying the whole of the Wye Valley in the hunt for a female black panther. During my investigation I was interviewed by every major television and radio show worldwide.

Theres a good thread about big cats in the uk on the jref forum.

Personally i think there were big cats released years ago, for a variety of reasons, firstly they get to big for a domestic enviroment and secondly the laws on keeping them changed.

You used to be able to buy anything from harrods, including lion cubs of the shelf so to speak, just walk in and buy one and take it home.

Those i think were the forerunners to todays myths, as i cannot see them being numerous enough at the time, to ever cross paths, never mind at the right time to breed.

If they were still about, i am pretty confident that you guys, or guys just like you would of scoped them at night by now.

Edited by manxman2

The summer of 2000 saw me at Trelleck, Monmouthshire, after Chief Inspector Nigel Russel of Gwent Police called me out to investigate an incident where 11year old Josh Hopkins was injured by a female leopard in its black form which we call a black panther. There, I took charge, and flew in the forces helicopter with heat-seeking equipment surveying the whole of the Wye Valley in the hunt for a female black panther. During my investigation I was interviewed by every major television and radio show worldwide.

my mate was working in trelleck relaying water mains and he swears he saw a big cat and he is not a liar

I'm in the same position. People I know well and would trust with my life have seen them, and I have no reason to doubt them. I've never seen one myself however, even after working the nature reserves of Gloucestershire on and off for over ten years and shooting in very quiet places for longer!

If they are out there they're either extremely smart or very rare! If I do ever see one I'll shoot it because I don't believe they have a place here.

I'm in the same position. People I know well and would trust with my life have seen them, and I have no reason to doubt them. I've never seen one myself however, even after working the nature reserves of Gloucestershire on and off for over ten years and shooting in very quiet places for longer!

If they are out there they're either extremely smart or very rare! If I do ever see one I'll shoot it because I don't believe they have a place here.

Unless you have got Big Cats listed on your FAC make sure you say you shot it because you feared for your life!

Talking about unusual exotics gone wild.

Any of you guys want to add wallaby to your list of species nailed.

It would be alot cheaper to nail one here as travel to NZ/AUS.

They started out as rumor here, i never saw one on all the land i covered, and there wasn't much of it i didn't cover.

But you see them now for fun from the car in the fields large as life, and there's plenty.

Edited by manxman2

i personally have never seen one, even after spending days in observation posts and nightime standing patrols etc on exercise with the armed forces in some very remote parts of the uk.

but i do believe its possible they are out there, a few years ago a common caiman was found in a lake in the midlands!

ever since the dangerous wild animals act was brought in ensuring keepers of dangerous exotic animals were licensed and had proper experience and housing for such creatures the trade in these animals hasnt stopped. i have kept reptiles for most of my life and have been offered many illegaly improted animals during my time, for those who have the money and the connections it really isnt that difficult to aquire alligators, cobras, monkeys or indeed big cats.

i think its entirely possible for someone to get hold of one of these animals only for it to escape or be releasd once it became too much of a handfull or the reality of keeping one really set in.

i doubt they are here in sufficient numbers to breed as that would need an adult pair of a particular species in relatively close proximity to eachother but a slow trickle of these animals escaping or being released is possible.

sounds nice to have them mooching about the country and a bit chilling to think of bumping into one. but cant say im a beliver sorry there is not one slice of footage iv seen that made me think other wise. that kids face would have been ripted to shreds i watch the doc on that story what a load of munty balls

sounds nice to have them mooching about the country and a bit chilling to think of bumping into one. but cant say im a beliver sorry there is not one slice of footage iv seen that made me think other wise. that kids face would have been ripted to shreds i watch the doc on that story what a load of munty balls

i do agree that the photos ive seen really dont prove anything and im sure if it really was a leopard that attacked that kid he would be sporting more than a few scratches, my jack russel can do that playing around!

but i still believe it is possible they are out there (among other things)

Danny Nineham lives fairly local to me and is well known in the Forest. I remember the Trelch incident well working locally to it and have seen pawprints myself whilst out walking. I have heard a few interesting things about Nineham and have my own opinion. Not going to air them on here however.

Unless you have got Big Cats listed on your FAC make sure you say you shot it because you feared for your life!

I've got any other lawful quarry on my FAC. As officially they're not even here I don't suppose shouting that they're protected is going to get anyone far?! Is it lawful? I don't know but proving it unlawful would be a real challenge!

I'd have thought an arguement that it's a dangerous predator that will do no good for native wildlife would help swing it my way too?

EDIT... All this is assuming I shoot one. As they're rare as rocking horse **** if they exist at all I'd say the chances are slimmer than slim!

Edited by njc110381

I saw one in my Father in laws garage...it was mean looking with big glaring eyes, and silver grey colour almost metallic looking coat...boy did it purr....and roar.....5.3 litre Jag.

The only big cats around here are in Longleat.....

However Im sure I saw a HIPPO in the thames last week.

We have all the technology with Infra red imaging etc to track a field mouse in a Barley field from a mile up in the air but we cant strangely find one of these mythical beasts.

I think that chaps got too much time on his hands and ought to consider charity work.

However if he wants to pay me £500 quid, soak me in pigs blood and tie me to a tree in the Forest of Dean armed with a camera, 20 cans of Stowfords a cattle prod and a Walther P45... Im game. !

I did honestly see a Lynx a few years back that had escaped from a Wildlife Park. The farmer shot it for killing his lambs. he will deny this of course and so will I, and probably the Wildlife Park as well.

• 3 years later...

Being a scientist, I am VERY doubtful of any big cats in the UK.

there may have been some big cats released in the UK in the past but no way near enough breeding pairs to maintain population.

There was also a programme on TV featuring all the big UK cases (including the ones menitioned by this guy) where some South African big cat hunters/trappers came over and looked at all the evidience for big cats in the UK (now these guys ARE experts) and they faound NO evidence whatsoever of big cat presense and all the cases where dead animals were found (bodmin etc) were clearly dog attacks (they said).

Also, (not meaning to be personal) but the guy in trellech who claimed to have been attacked is a big liar, he vandalised the church and I wouldnt trust a word he said (also I think he admitted to his mates that he made it up).

Thirdly, a colleague of mine used to work with him and said he wasnt the most intellegent of chaps and certainly wouldnt be qualified as an expert.

(there have been a few sightings and filmings, all of which have turned out to be big black domestic cats and or black dogs)

Conclusion.... NO BLACK CATS IN THE UK!

Edited by James_w12345