Ferretting taster days whats your thoughts

Rights boys and girls I have a large amount of ferretting available now this would not be free but I was thinking of charging £50 a day for a adult to join us and £20 for under 16s whats your thoughts .

I am fully insured now for taking paying clients is there a need for taster days for ferretting :yes:?

Cheers OTH

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are expensive and all i see on here lately are days for sale and im sick of it :lol:

Not a dig at you personally :yes:

Thanks Ok

Do you have alot of land to shoot etc ,it just that I have just woke up to that I have awful lot of land that would on average not be available to any shooter that after some conversations with farmers under my gudiance I would be able to let others enjoy the sport.

The reason I would charge is that it would be a form of income not just a quick buck and I have a genuine intrest in introducing new blood to our sport.

Now as you and I understand I cant take others out 6 days a week with no income so would have to charge to regain the costs of doing such a thing and also feed myself.

Cheers OTH

i have to say that im always keen to take people with me to just promote what we do, because i enjoy it and bunny burgers are tasty.

Thats not to say people would not take you up on it and im sure you would show them a wonderfull day and if that gets moor people ferreting then that can only be a good thing. not sure many people would pay 50 notes though (unless you through in lunch or something)

I though £50 was cheap myself if I had one adult a day I would be on less than the min wage per hour let alone providing a lunch .

This would be a income not a top up hobbie cash in the hand venture it seems strange that other things like deer stalking commands such prices yet a days ferretting is seen in this way.

Cheers for your thoughts as well OTH

£50 sounds reasonable to me, to think what tuition cost for clay shooting per hour, i think its something i would consider doing and a great chance for any youngsters who maybe thinking of doing any country sports at an affordable cost.

I also agree I find it very strange that some find paying for a whole days ferretting at 50 notes too high.

But are quite happy to have either there boiler serviced or car serviced at £50/60 a hour very very strange.

Cheer also for your imput OTH

Edited by Over the hill

I though £50 was cheap myself if I had one adult a day I would be on less than the min wage per hour let alone providing a lunch .

This would be a income not a top up hobbie cash in the hand venture it seems strange that other things like deer stalking commands such prices yet a days ferretting is seen in this way.

Hello OTH

I am quite new to the sport

Just my opinion i mainly associate ferreting as vermin control, i would be very grateful for any permission but would like to feel that the agreement between me and the landowner was a mutual one and that having the permisssion plus maybe a xmas drink to the landowner

is payment for controlling the vermin.

I would be willing to pay a small price but i think that £50 is a little expensive.

i ges im being bias't cos iv only got derv costs to think about when i go,

i dont want to sound negative,

give it a go you might end up serving me some humble pie when you have a waiting list to come with you

Its not about humble pie its about offering a service to others crumpets after reading the other post about grouse shooting where there charging £175.00p plus VAT to shot two bloody grouse .

Cheers OTH

Edited by Over the hill

My thoughts are expensive and all i see on here lately are days for sale and im sick of it :lol:

Not a dig at you personally :lol:

So what would you get in a taster day? as it takes years to learn the art of ferretting and you come up against different stuff every time you go out.

Different countys have so many styles, and i am afraid you will not be able to give any real value for the £50 that you want to charge.

Just in the way you despach a rabbit quickley, is a art in its self, let alone deciding not to net up a warren as the signs say "dont bother" and move on to the next hedge etc!

The list is very long...........................

:yes:

TEH

So what would you get in a taster day? as it takes years to learn the art of ferretting and you come up against different stuff every time you go out.

Different countys have so many styles, and i am afraid you will not be able to give any real value for the £50 that you want to charge.

Just in the way you despach a rabbit quickley, is a art in its self, let alone deciding not to net up a warren as the signs say "dont bother" and move on to the next hedge etc!

The list is very long...........................

:yes:

TEH

Taster means TASTER not full trainning in the art of ferretting OH dear I can see its going to be hard work.

Again no Dis but fletch has a good point , in my book vermin is a favour to the land owner to get rid of, and as a good gesture a bottle a xmas to keep the job right :lol: for game then I put as a luxury and then a fee maybe introduced as according ! :yes:

I agree but what about the huge amount of guys and gals who dont have access or the time to do it full time .

Also you here of the struggle for some to gain permissions I have alot of access to areas that if others trying to gain permissions would be impossable .

So some of you guys think I should take everbody out for free provide lunch and transport and say thanks for the help today lads I am off home without a penny to my name :lol: .

Cheers anyway OTH

To be honest mate, you will have a very limited market, as those types of people who shoot grouse for large sums of dosh, dont like to get their hands dirty.

so the ones you are looking to pay £50 you would be better advertising in country life magazines, or something similar, but good luck and best wishes to you, for your business mind. :yes:

Edited by jonevo

Not a dig at you personally :yes:

100% agree with the above there seems to be alot of people charging to go out on there permission lately. For me learning the art of ferreting was by going out and learning by your mistakes net not on right, rabbit slips the net, or a small bolt hole missed under the nettles. I for 1 wouldnt pay for a days ferreting of shooting of any vermin. Yes getting land is very difficult I know but it is out there if you look hard enough and I think the £50 you will be better off putting in your tank and get yourself out door knocking. What happened to the days where you just went out ferreting or shooting and took a couple of your mates along for the day all this charging to take people out to me takes the enjoyment out of our hobby and turns it more into a full time job. If you are wanting to do this as a full time job then that is a different matter, this is certainly not a dig at yourself or others charging for this service but if people have that much shooting or ferreting that they cannot manage it themselves and then in the next sentence say how hard it is for people to get there own permission does that not tell you something.

Ps you cannot compare vermin control to game shooting vermin control is a hobby/job game shooting is a sport and we all know most sports are expensive.

100% agree with the above there seems to be alot of people charging to go out on there permission lately. For me learning the art of ferreting was by going out and learning by your mistakes net not on right, rabbit slips the net, or a small bolt hole missed under the nettles. I for 1 wouldnt pay for a days ferreting of shooting of any vermin. Yes getting land is very difficult I know but it is out there if you look hard enough and I think the £50 you will be better off putting in your tank and get yourself out door knocking. What happened to the days where you just went out ferreting or shooting and took a couple of your mates along for the day all this charging to take people out to me takes the enjoyment out of our hobby and turns it more into a full time job. If you are wanting to do this as a full time job then that is a different matter, this is certainly not a dig at yourself or others charging for this service but if people have that much shooting or ferreting that they cannot manage it themselves and then in the next sentence say how hard it is for people to get there own permission does that not tell you something.

Ps you cannot compare vermin control to game shooting vermin control is a hobby/job game shooting is a sport and we all know most sports are expensive.

Spot on with your reply mate :yes:

Well said. I have had all sorts of grief for charging for pigeon shooting, but it is my job, I dont expect to go into a garage and have the mechanic do the car service for free just because its fun and he enjoys it...

Anyone who thinks it's easy money might want to come and work with me for a week, humping kit across muddy fields, driving miles and miles doing recce's, dragging gas guns in and out of fields, fixing equipment and keeping dozens of farmers happy. A days pigeon shooting is great, but imagine taking people pigeon shooting and not getting your gun out when the action is good because you have to go prepare for the next day.

A lot of people do not either have permissions or have the time to do all the recce work to get a decent day. Or as I get, just a lot of people who want a break and change of shooting scenery. It seems, that pigeon shooting is not seen as being worthy of payment unlike driven days or stalking. Yet people will happily a couple of hundred quid or more to shoot 10 pheasant or go for a walk where you may or may not see a Deer...

The same would apply for my venture and I totally agree with you snozzer .

If we was doing such a favour controlling rabbits/pigeons then there would not be such high numbers of shooting Rabbitting wanted posted on this very forum.

All I am trying to do is provide a top quality service for the not so lucky .

Cheers OTH

Edited by Over the hill