Britain’s biggest wild animal shot dead on Exmoor

Flashman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bambi brigade will be on Radio 2 between 12 & 2 today as Matthew Bannister, sitting in for Jeremy Vine, is having a phone-in on the subject.

Another balanced assessment of matters rural by the Islington set...

Did you listen to it? Full of people with **** all facts and a blinkered view on the countryside! :blink:

I've just watched a report on the ITV News about the shooting of The Emperor and they are saying it was a shooter from the South East that took the shot. If it was and The Emperor turned out to be a bit of a runner and was lost that way I'll bet the shooter was a bit sick about losing such a "Trophy"! I surpose that if this was the case then it highlights the need for a good dog when out stalking deer! (Not being a stalker myself I am not sure of the position regarding using dogs to help to track and find "runners", maybe a stalker could clarify any points on that subject!)

I've just watched a report on the ITV News about the shooting of The Emperor and they are saying it was a shooter from the South East that took the shot. If it was and The Emperor turned out to be a bit of a runner and was lost that way I'll bet the shooter was a bit sick about losing such a "Trophy"! I surpose that if this was the case then it highlights the need for a good dog when out stalking deer! (Not being a stalker myself I am not sure of the position regarding using dogs to help to track and find "runners", maybe a stalker could clarify any points on that subject!)

Perfectly legal and encouraged by some!

Yes,what's all the fuss? sometimes I think the non shooting public are just a little jealous that we have firearms,and want them but either can't be bothered joining clubs etc,or getting land,or don't know how,or have been given instruction at a range day to get a taste of shooting sports. I wonder if our laws went the way of the usa tomorrow, how many firearms owners would there be in the uk by the end of next week? I wonder.

Reading some of the comments on the BBC site make me realise how stupid some people are.

The animals should be culled (which it was), others saying the animals should be controlled but not by people with guns, although I don't think you'd get the wild deer lining up for a nice injection down the vets :rolleyes:

On the radio they interviewed a photographer who was after a shot of this stag locking horns with another stag.

He had been trying for a number of years to get the picture but had always failed and he was now moaning that he would never get the shot.

Maybe he is the one that got this onto the news.

"Nasty person with big gun kills the largest wild animal in the country" makes a better headline than "local lazy ar$e photographer still fails yet again"

Edited by Wriggler

It said on the news that the stag was shot then loaded onto the back of a pickup, so alls well, end of errand.....just what is all the fuss about, was it somebody's pet or summat? :rolleyes:

thats what I worked out between the lines, the probable issue is someone was out early morning trying for a photo. Were they where they should have been no one will know but highlights how careful you need to be of people lurking in the countryside when you would least expect

The animals should be culled (which it was), others saying the animals should be controlled but not by people with guns, although I don't think you'd get the wild deer lining up for a nice injection down the vets :rolleyes:

Re-introduce wolves, who are a predator of deer.

I for one was watch Spring/AutumnWatch with renewed vigour with packs of these roaming the set. My money's on Bill Oddie being the first victim...

I thought the Scots guy from BASC was a bit glib. A bit lightweight and his voice was 'catching' as he struggled with the limelight. He looked and sounded as though he did actually think the shooting was wrong. Contrasting his weak performance was usual polished and impactive contribution to BBC radio 2's lunchtime phone-in. Whilst he can sometimes come across a little arrogant, he got the words and the tone spot on today.