Sportsman Gun Centre.

Cranfield

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only dealt with the Sportsmans "newport store" sincve it was the sportsmans, Clive was great when i bought my cabinet, since bought clothing Carts all sorts there, pricing is often better than ebay if you can collect. Yes they get busy and yes they forget to phone back, haven't been to an RFD that doesn't get busy and phones back straight away. I have been to other shops, some are full of people who seem to go every week for a chat and nothing else, I would give Sportmans newport 9/10 on the service i have personally received. Never seem to get a coffee but then rarely spend over £50.

Also to expect any shop assistant to know the level of detail required by forumites about the whole stock is unreasonable IMO. They are only shop assistants...

I have only dealt with the Sportsmans "newport store" sincve it was the sportsmans, Clive was great when i bought my cabinet, since bought clothing Carts all sorts there, pricing is often better than ebay if you can collect. Yes they get busy and yes they forget to phone back, haven't been to an RFD that doesn't get busy and phones back straight away. I have been to other shops, some are full of people who seem to go every week for a chat and nothing else, I would give Sportmans newport 9/10 on the service i have personally received. Never seem to get a coffee but then rarely spend over £50.

Also to expect any shop assistant to know the level of detail required by forumites about the whole stock is unreasonable IMO. They are only shop assistants...

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

There was a time when Shop Assistant was a noble profession with training, knowledge and expert advice.

Unfortunately in this modern age it does seem to have been devalued somewhat.

Nevertheless, I feel RFD is a trade still requiring the personal touch, knowledge, experience and advice, the Sportsman is following the modern trend of "Saturday" staff simply interested in earning some beer money.

I regret this is a syndrome of modern life, I also know and accept some staff there are well versed :hmm::good: !

• 1 month later...

Re; Mailorder/online/telephone - If its in stock i've never had a problem, dispatched in a timely manner, great :good:

If its not in stock, especially actual firearms i wouldn't touch 'em with a pooey stick :no::lol:

Mark

If its to do with firearms and it's not in stock, they lie and use every conceivable excuse.

I am waiting to see what there next excuse will be why i haven't got my third winchester sx3 in 2 months but thats another story

I have been down the Sportsman Newport shop a few times in the past month. Twice, I had good service, from Shaun and Nigel, the other times were just awful. Only myself and another customer in the shop, and three staff walking about with clipboards, just totally ignoring you. When I work in the retail industry, if a customer came into your shop, you stopped what you were doing, and attended to their needs.

Sadly, this seems to have gone in some stores now. :no:

I have used the SPORTSMAN GUN CENTRE between WEYMOUTH and Dorchester many times and always found the staff very friendly and helpful,even if its some small item you need or even advice about something.I think the guy in charge is called Bert and nothing is too much trouble for him. :good:

And if your thinking I have any connection with the shop,no I do not.I think its easy to complain when you get poor service,but when the service is good you should acknowledge it. :good:

Pete.

As mentioned in a previous post some time ago, the Newport branch is the old LITTS shop, and quite a few of the LITTS staff work there. Unfortunately, they still work in the old LITTS way, ignorant with a could'nt care less attitude.

I have written directly to the managing director of the company to express my views.

I also mentioned in an earlier post about the Exeter branch. Now that's the way a customer should be served and attended too.

I used the dorest regularly and find they great

Always help unlike Avalon gun witch is only 8 miles away and now would used if you paid me.

Great shop and friendly staff what more could you ask for

Nick

They probably are if you go and see them. But there sales man told me today that there not posting out guns at the moment as they have to much other stuff to post. After some heated words they have promised it by tuesday, they better have a good excuse like santa's reindeers cant fly because of a blizzed

They probably are if you go and see them. But there sales man told me today that there not posting out guns at the moment as they have to much other stuff to post. After some heated words they have promised it by tuesday, they better have a good excuse like santa's reindeers cant fly because of a blizzed

You should have said mate i was in there the other day. And there was one in there as rich and i looked at it

I also agree with Steve in what he's saying in the above post!I know that Steve has spent thousands of pounds at the Newport store when it was the old 'Litts'!I also have spent a few hundred quid there too but what I'm getting at is that there's still a lot of cobwebs that need to be cleared out of that store!What i mean is there are times I've gone there and don't get the Customer Service that would expect from them,which is very disappointing and will definately turn customers away!!

I have used the SPORTSMAN GUN CENTRE between WEYMOUTH and Dorchester many times and always found the staff very friendly and helpful,even if its some small item you need or even advice about something.I think the guy in charge is called Bert and nothing is too much trouble for him. :good:

And if your thinking I have any connection with the shop,no I do not.I think its easy to complain when you get poor service,but when the service is good you should acknowledge it. :good:

Pete.

Hi,

The name is the same as is the trade and there's only a few miles in it. Is Bert ex Sportarm? If he is then you're dead right, you couldn't ask for a more helpful chap.

Cheers

Hi,

The Exeter one is just up the road from me and I've been known to darken their door on occasion if the Chard brothers haven't got what I'm after and need it soonest. The in-shop service is fine and many of the negative feedbacks relate to out of stock purchases and the wildly inaccurate delivery forcasts.Over a week ago they were going to get back to me before end of play that day and I'm still waiting.....well, actually, I'm not have gone somewhere else!

Cheers

top guys bought my 325 off them a few months back!

Edited by ste 2712

I also agree with Steve in what he's saying in the above post!I know that Steve has spent thousands of pounds at the Newport store when it was the old 'Litts'!I also have spent a few hundred quid there too but what I'm getting at is that there's still a lot of cobwebs that need to be cleared out of that store!What i mean is there are times I've gone there and don't get the Customer Service that would expect from them,which is very disappointing and will definately turn customers away!!

Got to say I have only really used the store at Newport since the sportsman took over and i go into the store, Good range decent prices and will let you wonder the shelves without being hassled, but will always assist you if you ask and most of the time ask you anyway, I have been to most of the big RFD's in south Wales except Lloyds in Lampeter (very helpful on the phone) and Neath Gun shop, I have also been to avalon and the Gun shop rugby Sportsman's Newport is as good as avalon, Rugby etc like alot of shop based internet sellers they struggle with out of stock stuff and can forget to ring back but the service I have had is pretty good.....

Some of the best service i have had is from Brecon Retail for accessories

still no gun, apparently no couriers turned up yesterday.

Tried phoning them yesterday after 3 pm no answer.

Was that the Exeter store? considering the weather yesterday around Exeter I would not be surprised if they had closed early and had no deliveries...

Got to say I have only really used the store at Newport since the sportsman took over and i go into the store, Good range decent prices and will let you wonder the shelves without being hassled, but will always assist you if you ask and most of the time ask you anyway, I have been to most of the big RFD's in south Wales except Lloyds in Lampeter (very helpful on the phone) and Neath Gun shop, I have also been to avalon and the Gun shop rugby Sportsman's Newport is as good as avalon, Rugby etc like alot of shop based internet sellers they struggle with out of stock stuff and can forget to ring back but the service I have had is pretty good.....

Some of the best service i have had is from Brecon Retail for accessories

Have you a contact number or address for the Brecon Retail that you mentioned please?

I used the dorest regularly and find they great

Always help unlike Avalon gun witch is only 8 miles away and now would used if you paid me.

Great shop and friendly staff what more could you ask for

Nick

Its the same with me. I have used their Exeter and Dorset shops either by calling in when passing or online and have always had very good service. Never tried the old Litts store, never really needed to. Have to say I never had good service from Litts the few times I tried them.

I have to agree with you too in regards to Avlon Guns. Called in there once and got some of the worst customer service I have ever encountered and have never bothered since. I wont even visit their Game Fair stand. The gun shop at Minsterly Range in Shropshire was just as bad.

I have always had excellent service from Uttings.

I've generally got on fine at Sportsman Newport. They sold me my CZ rimmy (as Litts) a few years back and gave me a good deal. I buy cartridges and clays there too and they always round the final bill down a little, which is appreciated. I do sometimes need to be patient to get served but generally they're attentive enough and will help when asked.