"Slating Off" other members?

Frenchieboy

I'm afraid I can't agree with that.

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, and it's imperitive, for everybodys sake, that everyone knows the law regarding the type of shooting they are participating in.

I don't think I know anyone who knows the law "inside out".

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, and it's imperitive, for everybodys sake, that everyone knows the law regarding the type of shooting they are participating in.

Bingo!

they're not toys, they're deadly weapons, treat them as such.

target species are living breathing things, treat them with some respect.

I may not entirely agree with some of the laws regarding live quarry shooting, but if i did unwittingly break the law i'd expect a bit of a ####ing if i went on here bragging about it.

I don't think I know anyone who knows the law "inside out".

Maybe you shoot witha bunch of cowboys then, If you shoot you should know the laws relating to shooting. If you drive a car, you should know the laws relating to driving cars.

To say you didn't know what the speed limit was after being stopped for speeding is no defence.

If you are going out to shoot at night then you should know what you can or cannot shoot at night.

I understand why you cant shoot partridges at night, but WHY NOT pigeons? Ive been lamping and seen hundreds of them fly out over my head, easily recognisable as pigeons, they would be fun to shoot with a shotty and lamp.................... :o

you can lamp ferals :good:

personally i can't see whats wrong with asking on a forum.if you don't ask you won't learn!!

fair enough if you've made a mistake you're going to get some response that's less than helpful,but that hapens everywhere.no one else ever make's mistake's in anything :hmm:

how many people stick to the law when driving?.how many people can say that they've never done something they should'nt of while out shooting?.i personally wish i was perfect but deep down i know i'm far from it :blush:

you can lamp ferals

I was aware that you could in an industrial/building type setting.

I know that you arent allowed to shoot pigeons at night....BUT my question is WHY not? What is the justification for the ruling?I have a wood on one of my shoots that is full of pigeons at night and would be a good opportunity to cut down their numbers, and probably quite good fun..(i have never tried it just for the record) :hmm:

There are some truly arrogant **** heads on this forum,not the sort of people I would want to share a days shooting with.

Istarted shooting as a young lad,crawling through the hedgerows with a battered .177 air rifle.I knew nothing of the rights or wrongs,these were things I learned along the way,by experience and the knowledge of others.Google the laws first?No google in the early sixties.

There may be some naive beginners out there(both in making mistakes and then posting it on here)but it doesn't help belittling anybody.

Making others look and feel small in order to make yourself look big is the sure sign of a bully....I can't abide bullies.If you can't give constructive criticism(like you would to one of your family)then don't bother.

Surely it is because pigeons are protected by law and the only way you can shoot them is by complying to the OGL. If they are roosting at night they aren't damaging anyones crops and you won't have tried all non lethal methods of getting rid of them.

If you were to stick a gas banger in the wood they wouldn't roost there for long.

To be fair, the amount of work one has to do - especially nowadays - to be given a driving license, is faaaaaar greater than being handed a SGC or FAC.

OK, there are certain hoops we need to jump through on the route, but the knowledge side just isn't there in the same way.

At no point in my SGC application did anyone ask me if I knew what species I could shoot, or what the seasons were, how far shot can travel from a shotgun. Nothing like that was discussed.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had a much more in-depth discussion with their FEO?

To be fair, the amount of work one has to do - especially nowadays - to be given a driving license, is faaaaaar greater than being handed a SGC or FAC.

OK, there are certain hoops we need to jump through on the route, but the knowledge side just isn't there in the same way.

At no point in my SGC application did anyone ask me if I knew what species I could shoot, or what the seasons were, how far shot can travel from a shotgun. Nothing like that was discussed.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had a much more in-depth discussion with their FEO?

So did you just go out and shoot what you wanted when you wanted or did you research it first?

There are some truly arrogant **** heads on this forum,not the sort of people I would want to share a days shooting with.

Istarted shooting as a young lad,crawling through the hedgerows with a battered .177 air rifle.I knew nothing of the rights or wrongs,these were things I learned along the way,by experience and the knowledge of others.Google the laws first?No google in the early sixties.

There may be some naive beginners out there(both in making mistakes and then posting it on here)but it doesn't help belittling anybody.

Making others look and feel small in order to make yourself look big is the sure sign of a bully....I can't abide bullies.If you can't give constructive criticism(like you would to one of your family)then don't bother.

Things have moved on since the early sixties.

There's no excuse not to know the law nowadays.

I haven't seen any bullying on here. Just differences of opinion, as you would expect to find anywhere. No cussing or swearing either.......until the opening line of your post.

That is quite handy seeing as though I wouldn't want to share a days shooting with someone who is to ignorant not to know the laws.

I understand why you cant shoot partridges at night, but WHY NOT pigeons? Ive been lamping and seen hundreds of them fly out over my head, easily recognisable as pigeons, they would be fun to shoot with a shotty and lamp.................... :o

You CAN shoot Partridge etc at Night, but just not using any form of artificial illumination.

Feral Pigeon is the only bird you are allowed to use the lamping kit on!

This has brushed on another topic but it does tie in slightly with the question asked here by Humperdingle - I was chatting with the son of one of my neighbours this afternoon when I got back from zeroing my Hummer. He has a SGC and only shoots clays. He said that he had the same FEO as me (The one I am having a few problems with at the moment) and told me that when this FEO came and did his home visis his main concern was what he wanted a shotgun for. When he was told it was just for clay shooting he said that was fine but he didn't like guns used for shooting animals! - Do you think this FEO is in the wrong line of work?

So did you just go out and shoot what you wanted when you wanted or did you research it first?

Aah yes, I missed that caveat.

In fact, on the thread the OP is referring to, I did enquire as to whether the guy had knowledge of the laws concerning lamping.

My position is that you should be fully conversant with the "Do's and Don'ts" concerning shooting, just as you should have a good grasp of the Highway Code when driving. If you're unsure, go away and look it up. Let's face it, a decent mobile phone is all you need to access internet info these days.

But a higher level of "Education", or the requirement for it, is needed IMO. It would certainly cut down on these kinds of threads.

This has brushed on another topic but it does tie in slightly with the question asked here by Humperdingle - I was chatting with the son of one of my neighbours this afternoon when I got back from zeroing my Hummer. He has a SGC and only shoots clays. He said that he had the same FEO as me (The one I am having a few problems with at the moment) and told me that when this FEO came and did his home visis his main concern was what he wanted a shotgun for. When he was told it was just for clay shooting he said that was fine but he didn't like guns used for shooting animals! - Do you think this FEO is in the wrong line of work?

I would be tempted to report him but could drop someone else in the """""

When he was told it was just for clay shooting he said that was fine but he didn't like guns used for shooting animals! - Do you think this FEO is in the wrong line of work?

Strange, considering he allowed you a .17 hmr and .222 for shooting animals. Hardly an anti.

I would think he probably told your neighbours lad he didn't like new shooters shooting live quarry until they're more experienced, which is a pretty good call I reckon.

Am pleased you took it personally 'poontang'.Incidentally,talking about cursing and swearing,isn't 'poontang' slang for ****?Just about sums you up! :D

Tut tut tut

For someone so self-righteous I expected better of you.

As it happens I didn't take it personally, and the fact that you are the only person on this thread who's sunk to name calling speaks volumes about you. However, due to your age and obvious senility I'm prepared to overlook it. It's good to see a few 'silver surfers' on here sharing their wisdom with us 'young bucks'.

Cheers Gramps :good: