Can you shoot game on a sunday

sitsinhedges

Sunday shooting - England

'Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare.

No game may be killed or taken in any county on Sunday or Christmas Day.

Before the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays were made under sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954. Those still in existence are in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 local authority re-organisation):

Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.'

The whole thing about not shooting pigeons, is proberbly about having a nice quiet sunday, rather than the possibility of 300+ shots going off through pigeon shooting.

Edited by Bleeh

isnt this one of those "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

type of questions?

If by that you mean as long as noone sees you it is OK then no it isn't one of those questions. Shooting game in England on sunday is illegal.

No ifs or buts, just plain and simply illegal.

There is a few boxing day shoots that will be postponed by a day this year.

If by that you mean as long as noone sees you it is OK then no it isn't one of those questions. Shooting game in England on sunday is illegal.

the same as hunts you don't shoot game or hunt on a sunday in England simple. Though if you're either poaching or shooting game with an airgun you're unlikely to pay any attention

of course i take your point regarding the legal side of things. i was under the impression (wrongly???) that it was a bit of an out of date law?

after all wasnt archery practise every sunday a legal requirement until 1960?

On one of my permissions I am not allowed to shoot pigeons on a sunday.

But can still go ferreting ???

I am allowed to ferret a permission on a sunday but not shoot on it

farmer is religous and it is his day of rest, he turns all bangers off on a saturday night and does not like to be disturbed with shooting

thats when the pigeons all come out to play!

I am allowed to ferret a permission on a sunday but not shoot on it

farmer is religous and it is his day of rest, he turns all bangers off on a saturday night and does not like to be disturbed with shooting

thats when the pigeons all come out to play!

well its a bit of an old church law , but the clay grounds round here bang most of the day on a sunday so maybe the law should be re thinked

but at the minute its a big no no

It doesn't need changing there is nothing wrong with the set up at the moment, the whole point is you aren't vermin shooting

i agree the law doesnt need changing

i respect the farmers wishes, if he doesnt want me there on a sunday then fair enough

but plenty other farmers dont care what day i go

i shoot pigeons, rooks and rabbits on a sunday...not wildfowl or game!!

Few, if any, today know the real reason for this, church has been suggested and to give the Gamekeeper 1 Day a week off!

Yes, it relates to a number of very old laws which have got mixed up, and suggestions are it applies to most Game now, depending on what the definition of game is at any given time! :hmm::good:

It does not stop "shooting" on a Sunday in any way, and there are plenty of reasons and exceptions for also shooting almost anything on a Sunday.. for the appropriate reason or with the right bit of paper in your hand from Natural England/DEFRA.

So, once again, the specific answer to the question would take volumes, if in doubt, DON'T! :good: