Which Soft roader?

goldeneye243

Which softroader  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best all round soft roader?

• Freelander 2
    • Xtrail (07 onwards)
    • Honda CRV
    • Subaru Forester

I am considering changing my current car (Subaru forester) for a newer one at some point.

For me, it needs to be fairly low for putting a boat on top, reasonably capable off road (farm tracks, muddy field edges), good economy, good initial price and reasonable road tax.

Current favourite is possibly the X-trail as it is a little bit cheaper to buy than the Freelander 2 (which I would probably prefer....)

Any thoughts?

If your forester is the petrol version then most of the diesels will give 30mpg if you go for a full sized one or 35ish if you go xtrail or freelander. I went for an L200 because of cheap road tax and the bonus the wet dogs and carcases stay outside the cab and they are a bit of a bargain these days. Out of your choice I would probably go freelander but check how much room you need first as that seems to be the major complaint with them

I looked at the freelander 2 while I was at Burghley this year, the two things that put me off were the size of the boot which was absolutely tiny for the kind of vehicle and the fact that the boot is so high off the floor compared to my Disco 3. The dog managed to get in (she was very muddy, the interior was beige and the sales team weren't impressed) but I sure know it wasn't big enough for me!

After having a couple of Foresters (120,000 miles in each) I acquired a Skoda Yeti 2.0 diesel 4 months ago, and now done 14,000 miles.

Economy is good (easily 45 mpg) although the boot is not huge. This is easily offset by the back seats folding flat in literally one minute.

Worth having a look

Clever 4 x 4 system that hasn't let me down yet - although I am not really brave enough to be silly in it

Don

Freelander by miles. The X trail is tiny - you may as well buy a car. Forrester is good. nDunno if the CRV is any good, but the fact that have been literally hundreds stuck at the docks in Southampton for the 3 years I've been here must say something.

you have got to be kidding,

Seats up, loads of room, large sunroof to shoot out of,

Seats down and its got the room of a van.....upwards opening door for easy access, flat floor for ease of sliding stuff in and out.....

Shaun

I've got a CRV (and I'm not even retired), it's very spacious inside (I'm 6'4" and can sit in the quite comfortably), big boot (with a picnic table too :lol: ).

On the road it's quickish (for a 4x4), I didn't get stuck in any snow, can drive across a wet field and cruise down the motorway at a good lick. It's been totally reliable even though I don't bother servicing more than every couple of years.

The only down side is that I've suddenly noticed that I'm the only <70 who drives one, they're not exactly cool but it's served me well.

Had the same dilemma a couple or three years back...fancied the freelander but was put off by stories of woe and expensive repair bills by previous owners..eventually went for the xtrail even though i had also heard stories told of troublesome xtrail diesels and their turbos (renault if i remember correctly) went for the 2.5 petrol version as not much difference according to figures and spec between that and the 2.0ltr...three years later and 30k more miles no problems other than fuel consumption being under 30mpg (tight yorkshireman) against normal off road used vehicles i also went for the automatic and fitted a set of new pirelli scorpion tyres which as yet have not let me down either and i have been up to axles in very slippy stuff on a couple of occasions.