243 information

foxnet22

hi there had my feo visit other week and he says in his opinion everything fine.what i would like to ask is having already got my eye on the 243 rifle i would like is what grain do you lads use for fox and what price are these.also what scope would you recommend and moderator,scope rings and bases etc.gun i am looking at is a browning x bolt stalker.

hi there had my feo visit other week and he says in his opinion everything fine.what i would like to ask is having already got my eye on the 243 rifle i would like is what grain do you lads use for fox and what price are these.also what scope would you recommend and moderator,scope rings and bases etc.gun i am looking at is a browning x bolt stalker.

The main thing is going to be what you want to spend, from my personal experience I have leupold rings and bases, predator 8 wildcat mod ( I have the long one but from what I have read the compact is as effective on 243). Scopes, now theres a subject, the best you can afford is usually the answer, I put my 4-14 x44 IR aetecs off my .17hmr onto my Remmie 243 until I can afford something better but in all honesty I think they are brilliant and may just get some more scopes for the .17hmr. As for ammo prices, I have tried a few types but my rifle shot best with the £36 per 20 sort of stuff so now reload with better results and much cheaper.

I was looking at the browning x bolt its a nice rifle,but before you buy, screw a mod on it its possibly ok with a lightweight mod,but a wildcat or t8 makes it very front heavy.so i went for a tikka varmint 243 with a 20" barrel and wildcat mod its a heavy setup but nicely balanced.as for ammo i'am using hornady varmint 58g they seem ok.

bornfree

Try the Privi, at £11 a box of 20 you could well be pleasantly suprised. I use nothing else and so do a lot of other people on here now.

Because of the price differential with other ammo a lot of the other stuff is getting harder to get hold of now because dealers are getting more reluctant to stock it in decent quantities which drives you nuts eventually.

Edited by Vince Green

75grn V-max (homeloads)

Bucks the wind nicely and will easily shoot foxes to 200 yards with a decent terminal clout.

decent terminal clout is similar to hitting them with a sledge hammer :good:

simply put though the answer to your question is whatever shoots well in your rifle, any .243 round will kill foxes if you go lighter then they tend to be faster and do lots of visible damage, larger and they tend to be a bit slower and still kill but don't have the effect of making big holes in them.

I tend to use 95 grn Nosler btips as it means i can keep it on one zero for everthing and have learnt the dope well now. Don't be too dragged into the moderator thing i hardly ever use mine now it makes a carry gun very unweildy and front heavy and dead foxes dont hear much :good: 75 v-max is the favourite for dedicated fox use you might want to give it a wirl

Despite what is said above, dont get a predator 8 sound mod, spend a bit more and get an ase ultra compact. The predator 8 will mark your barrel and isnt made to the same quality as the ase either.

As for bullets I would consider reloading if I were you. It will produce a lot tighter groups if you get decent reloading gear and after the initial outlay it will save you money too. DONT BUY LEE THOUGH....ITS RUBBISH !!!

As for bullets I have extensively trialed many bullets in my .243 and I am currently grouping sub .75" at 200yds. YES .75" AT 200YDS !!!

I use 80grain berger bullets and Varget. I get good groups between 37.5-38.5 grains. I have slightly changed my load and now I use 37.5 grains of varget with the 80 grain bergers and seat the bullets 3thou off the lands and the grouping is absolutely magnificent.

V-Max are good bullets but I found I had to batch sort them if you want really tight groups. I recently purchaased some and found a huge 15 thou difference in length from base to o-give which is massive. You will often hear people talk about V-Max being fantastic but have occasional fliers and I put the fliers down to the inconsistency is bullet sizes.

If you are going to be shooting at ranges below 150yds you can use anything really and it will hit a fox accurate enough.

The bergers are within 2 thou which is very consistent.

Edited by robbobsam

Despite what is said above, dont get a predator 8 sound mod, spend a bit more and get an ase ultra compact. The predator 8 will mark your barrel and isnt made to the same quality as the ase either.

As for bullets I would consider reloading if I were you. It will produce a lot tighter groups if you get decent reloading gear and after the initial outlay it will save you money too. DONT BUY LEE THOUGH....ITS RUBBISH !!!

As for bullets I have extensively trialed many bullets in my .243 and I am currently grouping sub .75" at 200yds. YES .75" AT 200YDS !!!

I use 80grain berger bullets and Varget. I get good groups between 37.5-38.5 grains. I have slightly changed my load and now I use 37.5 grains of varget with the 80 grain bergers and seat the bullets 3thou off the lands and the grouping is absolutely magnificent.

V-Max are good bullets but I found I had to batch sort them if you want really tight groups. I recently purchaased some and found a huge 15 thou difference in length from base to o-give which is massive. You will often hear people talk about V-Max being fantastic but have occasional fliers and I put the fliers down to the inconsistency is bullet sizes.

If you are going to be shooting at ranges below 150yds you can use anything really and it will hit a fox accurate enough.

Don't rise to the bait chaps,its pretty obvious the above thread is by a young lad who has just been bought a computer for his birthday by Mummy and Daddy and has learned to go on line.

He's sat there on his lonesome with his 5year old rat catcher drooling over glossy mags of real centrfires.Quite obvious by his complete lack of knowledge, he will be off ta grab some bog roll and the clearasil in a minute.

F.F.S. robbobsam, you talk so much **** on so many sites i am surprised you have time to go out shooting as you always seem to be posting ****

You start/reply to threads that cause a stir all the time

You have been kicked of certain sites and posts removed on others so i dont think you are anyone to give advice to other members on matters you know **** all about.

YOU are a TROLL so do us a favour and go find another bridge to sit under and post elsewhere

Edited by snowz

F.F.S. robbobsam, you talk so much **** on so many sites i am surprised you have time to go out shooting as you always seem to be posting ****

You start/reply to threads that cause a stir all the time

You have been kicked of certain sites and posts removed on others so i dont think you are anyone to give advice to other members on matters you know **** all about.

YOU are a TROLL so do us a favour and go find another bridge to sit under and post elsewhere

I gotta admit, I have so much fun on these sites.

I knew it wouldn't be long before the Long range boys showed there faces.

Hiya Guys !!!

And Redgum......your a funny guy too..........I am gonna start calling you Lee cos of that crappy reloading gear you rave about.

Cya Lata, I got some snares to check !!!!

Edited by robbobsam

on the 7 /10/2010 you could not get any berger bullets remember.

and you had no idea of a load to use.

Robert Smith I have a .243 Tikka T3 Super varmint and I need a good load recipe for the 80 grain varmint bullets. Has anyone got a good accurate powder recipe for it. I have contacted Berger and they were very helpful sending me many different recipes, the problem is which one will give me the best results ??? I dont want to have t...o buy 13 tubs of powder and try them all to find the best one. I know different recipes may shoot a little different in each rifle but some recipes just work good in all. (H414 & 87 V-Max for example) I have become a little dis-illusioned with the quality of the V-Max of late so I am now looking at Berger bullets. So..... can any of you guys recommend a tried and tested load for the 80grainers in a 1in10 .243 Winchester ???

Edited by Dunkield
email address removed

can we all play that game Mark? here is a post from the 31st of August this year on another forum :oops:

Help please with .243 loads. I am just starting out !!!

Hiya Guys,

I am about to start reloading, I have all the gear and am ready to go.

I will be loading to get the best possible accuracy to enable me to hit rabbits out to 600+yds.

I am using Norma brass that I have had as factory ammo which has already been fired once only, it has been cleaned till its like new inside and out with vinegar. I do not intend to full length size the cases but I do intend to use the lee trimmers to make all cases the same length for uniformity. I intend to use federal primers.

I have been given a fair bit of advice and I intend to buy some H414, N140, or H4350 powder and load up from there.

I intend load 87grain V-Max bullets and set them initially at 10thou off the lands and work back from there taking measurements from a bullet head mounted in a split shell casing to set the start datum point.

I was going to start from the minimum powder weights and make 5 bullets in each increasing .5 grain powder weight up to the max powder weight and assess the resulting groups for accuracy.

If I wasn't happy with the results I intend to set the bullet heads an additional 20thou back from the lands and repeat the steps above.

Am I about right with the powders, bullets settings and approach for this rifle ???

Have I missed anything important ???

Last edited by robbobsam; 31-08-2010 at 19:17.

and this one brings back some fond memories from the 21st of June 2010 :oops:

Nightforce- Just Amazing !!!

I was out hunting last night with my Tikka Super Varmint and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 56, I am new to centerfire and after seeing the guy on You-Tube with his incredibly long range hunting shots (1800yds) I decided against the Swaro or Zeis scope and went for the nightfoce instead. Am I glad I did.

I made a drop chart guide in 10m increments and purchased a Nikon 1200 rangefinder to help me range targets accurately and I was away.

The first thing I did was zero the rifle and with Norma 75grain Vmax tipped shells I managed to get 100yd 1" groups. I zero'd my turrets and found a quiet spot in a hedgerow and waited for the foxes and bunnies to show.

The first customer was a bunny at 220yds, I checked my chart, dialled the nightforce and aimed dead center. DEAD BUNNY.

The second customer was a bunny at 50yds. I checked my charts, dialled the nightfoce and aimed dead center. DEAD BUNNY.

This continued all evening with bunnies and crows showing at ranges between 50-450yds and each time the nightforce dialled in every time perfectly.

Just as dusk was upon me charlie showed at 375yds in the opposite hedgerow, I carried out the same scope adjustments with the charts and took the shot. I took charlie with a perfect chest shot, inch perfect as per my aim.

In total I took over 20 bunnies and 1 fox with no misses.

I returned home and cleaned the gun and the following day I returned to the target to check the zero. I reset the nightforce to the previous days settings and tried the gun for accuracy to see if it returned to the previous days accuracy even though I had been dialling the scope up and down the following evening and to my amazment the scope put 3 bullets in a perfect clover leaf on the 15mm bull at 100yds.

Nightforce may not be as clear or bright as zeis or swaro, but I wouldnt swap my nightfoce for any other scope on the market.

Edited by al4x

and then from the 17th of May this year not bad to be an expert in a month

Just got my FAC today...... Can you advise on rifle choice please ???

Hiya Guys,

I have received the good news today that I have been passed for my FAC and I am in the market for a .22lr, a .17HMR and a .243.

The guns will be used on a regular basis on my local farm and my quarry are rabbits, pigeons, crows, rooks, magpies, foxes and muntjac. I have over 200 acres to hunt and need some advice on guns selections.

I have £3000 to spend on all 3 including scopes and mods.

So what rifles would you recommend ???

I have been looking at;

.22CZ American Varmint in Walnut.

.17HMR Synthetic Sako Quad.

.243 Tikka T3 Lite Varmint.(Synthetic).

What do you guys think ???

Edited by al4x

I managed to get 100yd 1" groups.

1" @ 100yds

2" @ 200yds

3" @ 300yds

4" @ 400yds

and so on.......... but you managed to dial in exactly what your drop chart said and hit the targets with no correction, or wind doping???

YOU TRULY ARE AN AMAZING MARKSMAN :yp: :lol:

...you lot are cruel

:lol:

but a good laugh reading this

:good:

I think its great too.

Keep it up.

I have spent a lot of time and effort trialling loads and bullets.

I now have a good one sorted.

It was a real nightmare trying and trying but I now have a great load using Berger bullets and Varget.

Its great to know you guys follow my progress.

Some people sit just sit around and watch others achieve things, some get up and try to achieve things.

Since the dates above I now have a lot more land to shoot over and a further 3 rifles on my FAC.

The new rifles are .20cal and .308 as well as the .22air rifle.

Can anyone recommend a load for the .20cal as that is my next project.

BTW,

What is the point you are making, the fact that I have achieved a lot in a short period of time.

Or do you think I am making it all up.

Let me assure you, I have taken up FAC in the last 6 months, purchased the reloading gear and have now managed to get some really good groups by trialling different bullets and powders. I dont see a major issue. I work 4 on 4 off and in my 4 off I shoot most days. What really annoys me is how long and how much it has cost me to achieve the results I have.

If you don't believe me, I really don't care.

Just because you cannot do it, It doesn't mean others can.

Edited by robbobsam