Poachers

A friend up in scotland is having a bit of trouble with poachers coming onto his farm and using dogs against hare and deer. Police are next to useless.

What is the legal situation regarding shooting these dogs?

Obviously on FAC they are not on the ticket! But a semi auto shotgun with BB or SG would do the job I would think, is it legal though?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend up in scotland is having a bit of trouble with poachers coming onto his farm and using dogs against hare and deer. Police are next to useless.

What is the legal situation regarding shooting these dogs?

Obviously on FAC they are not on the ticket! But a semi auto shotgun with BB or SG would do the job I would think, is it legal though?

Illegal as deer and hare are not livestock.

Had a friend who had his dogs shot in the day on a public footpath.

The farmer tried to take the collars off to say they were poachers dogs. The farmer had a visit from the police and they removed his guns and they are going through legal action at the moment.

don't do it, get hold or your local rural liason officer and talk with him. Ours give out mobile numbers and certainly in Herts they will get the helicopter up for coursers. Shooting the dogs is liable to get you either a severe kicking or the farmers house / barns burned down.

don't do it, get hold or your local rural liason officer and talk with him. Ours give out mobile numbers and certainly in Herts they will get the helicopter up for coursers. Shooting the dogs is liable to get you either a severe kicking or the farmers house / barns burned down.

Helicopters for people chasing big rabbits! I am glad the money is being well spent!

yep for people driving across crops, assaulting locals often armed trespass with unlicensed guns and also vehicles with no tax insurance mot etc being used between fields. Its also surprising how many are wanted as well for other offences. They've nicked 28 I think so far this year according to our guy a fair few with the helicopter but often when its coming back from other jobs. To me its nice to see them do something as most of the guys that do it are complete scum

yep for people driving across crops, assaulting locals often armed trespass with unlicensed guns and also vehicles with no tax insurance mot etc being used between fields. Its also surprising how many are wanted as well for other offences. They've nicked 28 I think so far this year according to our guy a fair few with the helicopter but often when its coming back from other jobs. To me its nice to see them do something as most of the guys that do it are complete scum

You were talking about coursers who are out in the daytime. I have never seen people driving the fields in the daytime. Never heard of people coursing carrying guns.

You were talking about coursers who are out in the daytime. I have never seen people driving the fields in the daytime. Never heard of people coursing carrying guns.

I have mate and seen them and in Essex where your from. My local gamekeeper had them all round his house one morning threatening him and telling him they were going out coursing on his land and there was not alot he could do.

Also seen plenty of deer carcasses with gun shot wounds.

There are some nasty people out there.

I have mate and seen them and in Essex where your from. My local gamekeeper had them all round his house one morning threatening him and telling him they were going out coursing on his land and there was not alot he could do.

Also seen plenty of deer carcasses with gun shot wounds.

There are some nasty people out there.

I have shot Red deer and found no.6 shot in their ***** in a very hilly part of the South west.

The chap who lets me shoot on his land and has been a member of the Deer Society for several decades told me that is from the farmers trying to get them off their land. He is 70 years old worked on farms all his life and reckons that farmer will shoot at anything.

We have stories from both sides.

I also know of farmers letting people course on their land for a fee, so both sides benefit.

Edited by Richie10

The farmer tried to take the collars off to say they were poachers dogs. The farmer had a visit from the police and they removed his guns and they are going through legal action at the moment.

I wouldnt have thought this would be a problem considering there are no footpaths for miles, they are out at night and there is also livestock on his farm.

As for burning down buildings / kickings etc I dont think that will be a problem for various reasons!

Is it actually illegal to kill a poachers dog though?

if the dogs were off the public pathway way that gose through the farmers land and yes he can legalel shoot them if they were worrying his stock or damaging his crop

yes i agree with what your saying but what if the dogs had say his sheep by the throught we dont know if the dogs did but the farmer at the end of the day is protecting his lively hood so just say his dogs killed his livestock he is then supposed to go to them and say please dont do it a gain and do you think that the people would give there right address to the farmer the law dose say all dogs should be kept on a lease our uder control i am a dog lover and my dogs arnt of a lease when i walk them through a public walk way that gose through a farmmers land when he has livestock on it or when i walk them in the street in case they run into the road and cause a crash

I wouldnt have thought this would be a problem considering there are no footpaths for miles, they are out at night and there is also livestock on his farm.

As for burning down buildings / kickings etc I dont think that will be a problem for various reasons!

Is it actually illegal to kill a poachers dog though?

Yes, its illegal. Its also a ******* bad idea, and there'll be a bill to pay one way or the other if you do.

you have to be a certain kind of keeper to get away with it, we used to have one and really when you act like a psychopath they won't come back. With most people they will and of course when you shoot a dog suddenly they claim to be walkers and you get in a whole heap of the brown sticky stuff

what i think is what would you do if some one killed or even just hurt one of your dogs :hmm:

me personaly would take it as if they had hurt a member of my family as that is what my dogs are to me family :yes:

i also no people who used to do courseing years ago when it was proffitable. and a single dog could be worth up to 8k

if not more.

when i say people i mean mainly pykies and one thing i no about pykies is do not ever upset them and killing one of there dogs would not be a smart thing to do.

you are dealing with people who have very little morals and certainly no respect.

long and short of it its your choice but be awre it will bring alot of **** to your doorstep.

just my view of it cheers dm.

what i think is what would you do if some one killed or even just hurt one of your dogs :hmm:

me personaly would take it as if they had hurt a member of my family as that is what my dogs are to me family :yes:

i also no people who used to do courseing years ago when it was proffitable. and a single dog could be worth up to 8k

if not more.

when i say people i mean mainly pykies and one thing i no about pykies is do not ever upset them and killing one of there dogs would not be a smart thing to do.

you are dealing with people who have very little morals and certainly no respect.

long and short of it its your choice but be awre it will bring alot of **** to your doorstep.just my view of it cheers dm.

I make you right.

I know of 2 farmers who have had the bejesus knocked out of them for daring to ask these people to get off their land.

I make you right.

I know of 2 farmers who have had the bejesus knocked out of them for daring to ask these people to get off their land.

I've watched this post with interest and the answers don't surprise me. I don't have much trouble with running dogs these days because I cull all hares and rabbits deliberately. They may come and look but if theres nothing for them to run on they don't come back for a long time. Deer is a different problem. What troubles me is that people defend these dogmen which I find disturbing. They 'don't live by our rules' is no excuse to turn a blind eye to it. It can't go on. It's not the running hares thats the problem. It's the disturbance. If you had 9 guns turn up for £10k of partridge shooting and the dogmen have been through the night before you'd understand the problem much better. Make no mistake these people are vermin.They are not one for the pot poachers they are organized thieving scum. Not 100% sure of the way forward but I will say this. If my life is endangered then I would not take it lying down. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

I've watched this post with interest and the answers don't surprise me. I don't have much trouble with running dogs these days because I cull all hares and rabbits deliberately. They may come and look but if theres nothing for them to run on they don't come back for a long time. Deer is a different problem. What troubles me is that people defend these dogmen which I find disturbing. They 'don't live by our rules' is no excuse to turn a blind eye to it. It can't go on. It's not the running hares thats the problem. It's the disturbance. If you had 9 guns turn up for £10k of partridge shooting and the dogmen have been through the night before you'd understand the problem much better. Make no mistake these people are vermin.They are not one for the pot poachers they are organized thieving scum. Not 100% sure of the way forward but I will say this. If my life is endangered then I would not take it lying down. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

The majority of people poaching are young chaps that can't get permission from land owners not organised crime gangs which if they were so organised would be skimming bank cards.

Been going on forever and is not a new thing, only new people to the countryside.

The majority of people poaching are young chaps that can't get permission from land owners not organised crime gangs which if they were so organised would be skimming bank cards.

Been going on forever and is not a new thing, only new people to the countryside.

Rowey you are 100% right in what you say, but its not just the disturbance to worry about, its when they are on your land they are checking out every fuel tank, barn and bit of machinery you have and planning when to come back for it.

Richie10 sorry mate but the lurcher gangs I have come across are not "Young chaps" who cant get permission but grown men who dont care about asking and will do whatever to run their dogs. They dont care about hunting its all about gambling on each others dogs and its big money involved.