Cartridge Advice for Hares

reedbradshaw

Hi,

No 5 is good for the smaller blue or mountain hare but for the lowland brown, 4 is a wiser choice. The target is bigger so a heavy load is not strictly necessary unless you are going for a somewhat longer range.

If you've not shot hare before, a good tip is to leave the shot if you're in any way doubtful about pulling it off. Sadly, you'll understand the sense in this should you ever have the misfortune to wound one.

Cheers

The hares are all brown hares. Ill be getting as close as possible, went with the dog the other day for a walk around and due to the snow i could see a mile off where they were, i managed to get within 20 yards of two. Lets hope i can do the same with the gun in hand.

Are you sure 32's will be fine, if say at 40 yards would the pattern be good enough?

Yep, what Sam says. A good choice is Eley Maximum or equivalent. If you're going to stretch the range with your first shot, just make sure that you and the second barrel have the ability to finish the job. I only add the last sentence in the sure and certain knowledge that the cries of a hare that you wounded will stay with you forever.

Having said that, they taste good!

Cheers

A good excuse for applying for FAC it would be more efficient :good:

more efficient you say, Hare drives are the most effective way of rounding them up and controlling them you can't even start to compete with a rifle. We had 800 over the course of 2 saturdays in february and there is no chance you'd do that with a rifle.

more efficient you say, Hare drives are the most effective way of rounding them up and controlling them you can't even start to compete with a rifle. We had 800 over the course of 2 saturdays in february and there is no chance you'd do that with a rifle.

800 !! you must be infested with them, no wonder you get alot of attention from the lurcher boys :angry:

its off a serious amount of ground at a guess about 3000 acres and its well keepered so the hares thrive. Most of it is ditched and gated to keep the ****** out but they still get on from time to time. The thing that is good about it is we shoot a similar number each year so you know its a sustainable number

Yes in that respect it would, i cannot argue, but there are few people who would shoot that amount. The comment i made was more than a hint for a good reason to aquire a FAC if the origanal poster wanted to do so. Having shot a few Hare's (nowere near the amount you shoot)and as previous posters have touched on, to wound a Hare is not a pleasant experience, or any quarry for that matter. :good:

I've shot a lot of brown hare over the years. My first wife's father was a farm manager for Watton Produce at two large farms in North Norfolk. We used to organise regular driven hare shoots because of the damage they could cause and regularly shot 300+ head, and had a few days where the bag exceeded 400. Some of the drives were miles long and often over sticky plough and the rule was if you've shot it you carry it! Part of this was to discourage the walking guns shooting at the back legs of a swiftly departing hare. Wounded hares take a bit of dealing with and slowing the drive down meant the hares would leak out the sides more.We used to get far far more wounded hares when they were running away. Standing guns would kill them when they were heading straight towards them and much more cleanly as a rule.The chances of the pattern striking the head would be far higher.

The question is more about how the hare presents itself rather than the load. 32g No6 works just fine when the target is head and upper body. As for cartridges I personally wouldn't use anything less than 34g No 4 as i've seen enough grown men very upset at the sound of Sally crying. Worse than a distressed child. The brown hare is a fine animal and deserves to be killed with respect.

We shot a few hares about a stone (14lb) in weight a good bunny is 3-4lb at best, use plenty of cartridge please gentlemen.

Edited by Whitebridges

A good piece of advice when on a hare shoot is,

If someone shoots a hare and then says " bloody hell feel the weight of that" never take it from them and try it, unless you want to carry it for the rest of the drive.

Yes I have fell for that before :blush::blush:

I fell for that once! But only once! Old ones are the best!

Thats totally down to the nature of your ground, i doubt you could manage a dozen or so on surch a drive here yet there is no lack of Hares and a six mile drive would be certainly doable but a waste of time. For most small to medium single farms the rifle beats the shotgun hands down. The other thing i personally like about the rifle is you get chance to choose individuals, like when managing a deer herd

Does it sound like a person crying or something? Pardon my ignorance but Hares are

extremely rare round me so I have never shot at one or seen one shot and wounded.

Just curious as you always hear people on about the sound of them and I have been fourunate

enough thus far not to experience it.

Edited by Fishermanpaddy