featherd game with a rifle right or wrong

johnny

Oh dear, perhaps a fault/trait of mine, strange as it may seem I don't go out of my way to be blunt (well not always anyway) it's just the way it comes over sometimes.

Perhaps an opportunity to apologize if that's the way I come over sometimes, it's not intended generally, and many know me personally here so know the reality!

ATB! :D:D:D:good:

:lol::lol: Didn't mean it as a criticism, all I meant was as I've held my FAC for less than a year, I don't feel qualified as such to start preaching my opinions. Ask questions and hopefully learn something, absolutely, that's what I come on here for!

However, the more experienced members on here will not have as much left to learn as me, therefore are qualified to say it as it is, bluntly!

ATB :good:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that generally, shooting game birds with a rifle is a bit weird. I have done it myself, there's no denying that but on the whole I don't really see the point.

I think that the people who go on big driven days and see the effort that gets put into raising the birds are the people who think it's wrong. You can see their point. It's very easy to settle a crosshair on the birds neck/head and knock it down.

As I said above though I have done it. If I've been out stalking and not seen anything, not bought any food for dinner thinking that there will most likely be some venison but nothings showed, then I have taken them with a rifle. It's much easier to drop a bullet into a Pheasants brain than it is to take the gun home, lock it up and go back to the shop to buy something. There's no way I'd leave my rifle in my Landy in full view of the world while I go shopping and to go home then out again is a pain. The bird doesn't suffer and isn't wasted so in my mind it's ok. Not sporting, but ok.

I will continue to bag the odd one like that and not really see a problem with it. To go out and shoot a huge bag of them isn't my thing though. My favourite form of Pheasant shooting is a wander around a nice piece of ground with a couple of mates and if one flushes I can decide whether I really like the look of the shot and will take it, or just leave it to go on it's way. I've done the stand on a peg days and they're ok but to me they're kind of like a toffs day out on the clays. I would do it but I can't afford the price put on the birds.

oh dear we have MB showing his real colours as a game shooting anti then the "pest control argument" fairly tedious really. I do a fair bit of game shooting and NJC it isn't with much of a price tag on, as I have the odd farm syndicate day and then beaters days on a couple of largeish shoots, so probably shoot 100 max over a season. Lots of effort goes into game birds and shooting birds that fly well on a driven day is hard to beat from a sportsmans perspective. I get as much enjoyment from beating as shooting as its about working the dog, being out with mates and putting on a decent day to like minded people. As for birds getting pricked well it happens but on our decent sized days there is usually a picker up for each 2 guns behind them with very good dogs usually 2-3 each and very little gets away injured. They then sweep up the next day as well so really its probably better than anyone who goes out vermin shooting with a shotgun or Mark would you like to see that banned as well?

As for the pest control side of pheasants its not hard to keep them away keep the food suply down to a minimum and dog them off the ground it will work. but then if you want to shoot them with rifles and play at it like that then so be it.

(This isn't an attempt to start any arguements :good:).

How do you decide that a pigeon is more sporting than a pheasant?

You'll get no argument from me, everyone has their own opinions :good:

In my opinion a Pigeon is generally faster, far more wary, and will flare, twist and turn on a sixpence and present a harder shot than a straight flying Pheasant.

oh dear we have MB showing his real colours as a game shooting anti then the "pest control argument" fairly tedious really. I do a fair bit of game shooting and NJC it isn't with much of a price tag on, as I have the odd farm syndicate day and then beaters days on a couple of largeish shoots, so probably shoot 100 max over a season. Lots of effort goes into game birds and shooting birds that fly well on a driven day is hard to beat from a sportsmans perspective. I get as much enjoyment from beating as shooting as its about working the dog, being out with mates and putting on a decent day to like minded people. As for birds getting pricked well it happens but on our decent sized days there is usually a picker up for each 2 guns behind them with very good dogs usually 2-3 each and very little gets away injured. They then sweep up the next day as well so really its probably better than anyone who goes out vermin shooting with a shotgun or Mark would you like to see that banned as well?

As for the pest control side of pheasants its not hard to keep them away keep the food suply down to a minimum and dog them off the ground it will work. but then if you want to shoot them with rifles and play at it like that then so be it.

looks like your a bigger fool than i took you for .

and we dont need lacs etc with hypocrites like you playing in fields.

its a question i ask of people like yourself every time other shooting disciplines are put down , just because it does not suit your way of doing things.

why must we always have pages upon pages of shooters slagging of other shooters.

its not my way of doing things the majority of people who shoot game don't do so with rifles. The fact that some on here treat them like vermin is a little strange and misses out on the great thing that is game shooting. There is lots of tradition attached and a lot more to it than culling them with rifles. Its not an accepted shooting discipline and thats why its being put down.

so this isn't being anti shotguns :blink:

its a question i ask of people like yourself every time other shooting disciplines are put down , just because it does not suit your way of doing things.

why must we always have pages upon pages of shooters slagging of other shooters.

have to say, Im with MB on this one, no way was that an "anti shotgun" quote, it was a simple quote, yes I own both rifle and shotgun, yes if an oppotunity arrises while Im out with either, Ill access weather its safe to shoot, and shoot, irrelivant of what anyone else out there thinks, both guns can either kill or injure an animal/bird, so its more down to the user, rather than the tool, the big difference on these arguments, is that it seems "sporting shooters" will slate off anyone who shoots game with anything other than a shotgun at a flying bird, wheras a normal shooter or pestie, will give both weapons merit,and not slate others for using their selected gun on a selected quarry

fair enough no convincing can be done so just keep blasting them like they're vermin

no, they aint vermin, and you dont "blast" with a rifle, :blush:

its just having a different attitude, take a pigeon shooter, spotting a fox coming out of a hedge near his hide, he'll probably take a shot at it, probably he'll use both barrels, or 3 if semi, he wont have the correct carts in, but he knows two barrels will do the job, it does happen as Ived read plenty of posts on here saying such things, it might get a bit of stick from a few armchair warriors, but thats it, it wont turn into 6 pages of how he should have used a centre fire or such and such calibre,

the same goes if your out shooting bunnies with a rimmy and see "game"

your not going to say, sod it, its not flying and the shotguns indoors, I cant shot it as its unsporting,

the big difference on these arguments, is that it seems "sporting shooters" will slate off anyone who shoots game with anything other than a shotgun at a flying bird, wheras a normal shooter or pestie, will give both weapons merit,and not slate others for using their selected gun on a selected quarry

top man :good:

its not my way of doing things the majority of people who shoot game don't do so with rifles. The fact that some on here treat them like vermin is a little strange and misses out on the great thing that is game shooting. There is lots of tradition attached and a lot more to it than culling them with rifles. Its not an accepted shooting discipline and thats why its being put down.

Alex

Sure seems strange to me, as when shooting pheasants as vermin these "pest controllers" must adhere to the game shooting seasons so obviously they find suitable deterrent in the closed season. Shooting pheasants with a rifle is on par with shooting hen's in a hen house and is an absolute disgrace, it requires no skill or expertise and most definitely no sense of achievement. It is merely killing for killings sake and is to be deplored..

I really am sick to death of those who knock driven game shooting yet have never tried it simply because they view it as elitist. The same sort of nonsense caused the demise of fox hunting and these idiotic views do shooting no favours. God help us.

Alex

Sure seems strange to me, as when shooting pheasants as vermin these "pest controllers" must adhere to the game shooting seasons so obviously they find suitable deterrent in the closed season. Shooting pheasants with a rifle is on par with shooting hen's in a hen house and is an absolute disgrace, it requires no skill or expertise and most definitely no sense of achievement. It is merely killing for killings sake and is to be deplored..

I really am sick to death of those who knock driven game shooting yet have never tried it simply because they view it as elitist. The same sort of nonsense caused the demise of fox hunting and these idiotic views do shooting no favours. God help us.

Come on Charlie, IF a Game bird/animal is causing a problem "out of season", there are plenty of reasons for removing it permanently and legally!

Alex

Hope he does as films like this wont.

or do you want us to thank you for it.

Come on Charlie, IF a Game bird/animal is causing a problem "out of season", there are plenty of reasons for removing it permanently and legally!

To be fair I nearly put a caveat in my post to exclude those like yourself who actually work full time as a pest controller but decided not to as I was ranting and enjoying it !!.

C

Come on guys let's have a bit of common sense on an open forum, as was

mentioned on another thread today, shooters will do more damage to shooting than antis ever will, and this thread is a prime example of it!

Why not just agree to disagree and leave it at that, we are all on the same side remember!

I cant belive some of the stuff on here. people worry about pheasants craping on golf course's or pecking at sports fields, people go stalking deer because there is nothing in the fridge for lunch but if no deer about shoot phesants with a deer rifle.

I shoot pigeons and rabbits for part of my job on the farm they are shot purely for crop protection and because i enjoy it but I treat them the same as I would a rat. and I shoot game for sport and I will do my upmost to find any wounded birds, I eat game but all vermin get chucked unless someone asks me for the odd one or two.

the same goes if your out shooting bunnies with a rimmy and see "game"

your not going to say, sod it, its not flying and the shotguns indoors, I cant shot it as its unsporting,

Yes, that's exactly what I do in fact. I guess some people are just different.

Why shoot it? You might as well just whistle it in, then club it over the head. At least that might be a little bit challenging - but not much.