Is this a scam?

woodcock1

Recently saw a 1996 landrover defender 110 county for sale on gumtree. There was no contact no. so I e-mailed the seller to as if it was still available. This was his reply:

Hi,

The vehicle is in great condition overall, has full service history from it s main dealers ,never crushed .No outstanding finances owned on it ,not recorded as stolen.It has UK plates no.The only reason why I have decided to let it go at this price is that I have been relocated with my job in New Zealand( I work on an oil rig platform) and I couldn t bring it here with me due to the high transportation fees.

The car is still in UK ,in a 3rd party company custody along with all it s documents ,ready for dispatch.I have already prearranged the whole process with them and already paid for transport fees to UK & IRELAND area ,so the delays should be as minimum as possible(delivery time: from 3 to 4 days depending on your exact location).This company will also take care of the transfer of the ownership from my name to yours ,payment ,delivery ,insurance and VRT ( if it s the case ).

The price you will have to pay is the one that appears on the add ( 2,000.00 euro ) nothing more extra .

If you still have interest my car ,I can get back to you with more details about the whole process .

Thanks in advance !

I then asked how I could view/test drive the vehicle before any money would pass hands and told them how I had never heard of this type of sale and could I have a little more info. This was the reply

Hi again

I can have the car delivered to your address and will agree to let you test/inspect it for 5 days with a mechanic for your own peace of mind .If ,by any reason ,this car is not what you`ve expected to be ,you can have it delivered back to the company in charge on my expense .

Payment will be forwarded to me after this 5 days trial period ,depending on your decision to keep it or not .It will come with all it s documents ,including the V5 document filled and signed with my details on it as a seller ,just waiting for the buyer to add his new details .

The deal will go through Google Checkout (checkout.google.co.uk) using their Google Safe Pay Solutions .They will assist us and insure that this transaction will go through smoothly.

In order to proceed with this transaction ,I will need you to forward me your details for shipping ,full name and a valid phone no .As soon as I`ll have them ,I will forward them to google checkout and they will send you their official invoices containing all the steps needed for you to conclude this transaction successfully .

I would appreciate a speedy reply from you .

Many thanks !

Im more than a little suspicious about this. What do you guys think?

There are a lot of scams going around the freeads/ebay type sites these days. I enquired about a pup a while back and upon doing some research on the email from which my enquiry got a response I found I was talking to someone from Cameroon :rolleyes:

Trust your instincts IMHO.

thers to many other nails out there to waste ur money on the old fashioned way ,nice colour ,kick the tyre , part with cash the rest is history.

seriesly stay clear there is lot of cars out there to choose from never jump at the first and look at lots n lots n lots especiasly landies, by the way i aint slaggin em off im on my 11th there is a lot of bad owners who think there indestructable ,one carefull owner the other ten treated it like s... gud luk

Last night I emailed the seller or the landrover again, this time statiing that I would not pay any money until I sew the vehicle and asked them to provide the vehicle registration no so I could do a few checks on it and guess what, I havn't heard from them since.

As far as gumtree goes I've both bought and sold on it many times including cars and never had many problems. I really like the site.