Baikal shotguns - your views

coneyhunter

I have a Double Trigger 611 over and under , and a Single barrel both in 12g. The o/u is an absolute delight to shoot

because it fits me , and that helps so much when it comes to actually 'hitting things'.

I have never heard a Rabbit or Pigeon moan about being shot by someone with a Baikal. And, yesterday at an

"interclub" clay shoot the trusty 611 was "equal" top scoring gun of the day, against some right "Ruperts".

A local gunsmith told me many years ago , that if he had to take one gun into a 'apocalypse' situation it would be a

SXS Baikal 12g. Buy and enjoy. :good:

To Those who like Baikals no explanation is needed, To those who don't, no explanation is possible. :yes:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 years ago I posted on this thread and iv been shooting a baikal sxs for just over a year now.

After catching my silver pig on barbed wire once too often I took the plunge, It's changed my mind about baikals

It's a single trigger ejector with...... Multi chokes.

It's been lengthened and shoots high but it does the job,

I went clay shooting a few weeks back in prep for the game season, 10 ed a stand and some asked what is that gun?

His reply was "a ******* baikal!!"

Great guns, ugly heavy, short in the stock but feels unbustable!

My 43EM Baikal sxs is lovely. Yeah, it kicks a bit but not as much as my friend's Winchester sxs. Putting 28g cartridges through is a bit much though. I bought it because it had a short stock. I love that it's made of tank parts and railway sleepers (yes, it's the right vintage for that) and even has a pretty little engraving on the side. Avalon Guns were asking £400 for this model (now £250), but my price was much closer to £100. I might have paid more than you would on pigeon watch but I'm not a complete fule!

http://www.avalon-guns.com/gunlist/guns/view/baikal-43em/

My mate has a number of beautiful English made sxs's........if i flogged them they would pay my mortgage off and some !

the gun which he uses most is a Baikel o/u...payed £50 quid for it and to my knowledge has never cleaned it...it is a DOG of a gun but has never misfired.....

My 43EM Baikal sxs is lovely. Yeah, it kicks a bit but not as much as my friend's Winchester sxs. Putting 28g cartridges through is a bit much though. I bought it because it had a short stock. I love that it's made of tank parts and railway sleepers (yes, it's the right vintage for that) and even has a pretty little engraving on the side. Avalon Guns were asking £400 for this model (now £250), but my price was much closer to £100. I might have paid more than you would on pigeon watch but I'm not a complete fule!

http://www.avalon-guns.com/gunlist/guns/view/baikal-43em/

That's more pretty than mine and it's better equipped...... 2 triggers!

I bought a 606 o/u double trigger one in 1978 cost £79 new,used it for 25 years,fired 42gram goose loads through all the time,sold it in 2012 for £150.

That's brilliant! I often think it would be worth sitting on a few guns for years never thought of baikals as an investment

£ for £ .. probably the best shotgun in the world ... reliability wise, few manufacturers can match ... they are not art form, more a tool to be utilised ...

Perfectly put.

A tool for the thin of wallet and thick of skin.

My o/u has had quite a few thousand cartridges through it in the last 18 years, without a problem.

The mp153 has only ever ftf'ed with light clay loads (24g), when the gas valve hasn't been wound in enough. Feed it with 28g or more, and it eats anything.

Ok, so it won't go from 21g to 63g without needing adjustment like an A400 is supposed to, but I wouldn't throw an A400 in the back of a pickup under a straw bale, either.

Simple, reliable, easy to work on, cheap.

What's not to like?

Ive had a sxs dt ej for the last 18 years.... always reliable, only reason I dont use it now is that its choked too tight for steel and most of my shooting is on the foreshore

never lets me down ... may get round to selling it one day but it just sits there in the cabinet waiting to be used

Ive had a sxs dt ej for the last 18 years.... always reliable, only reason I dont use it now is that its choked too tight for steel and most of my shooting is on the foreshore

never lets me down ... may get round to selling it one day but it just sits there in the cabinet waiting to be used

Just get the chokes opened out.