Bear with me here

Dave-G

Since it looks like I'm going to need some netting...

What does anyone reckon about say a 10' high x 20' long piece of camo-netting with 3 poles in it so it could be leant against tree's - or put well into a field with the tops of the poles looped together like a wigwam - that could be moved round the field from inside?

Bear in mind that a rimmie has greater range than a shottie - I'm thinking I could be sat on an overturned bucket and poke the gun through the netting rather than stand and fire over it. The idea being to shoot several while busy feeding before they cotton on rather than wait for them to overfly me.

Also I have never done pigeon control - nor watched for their behavior and am curious why crops have been eaten right up to the edge of a field - where magpie's or crows would be wary.

Could work if your deeks were set out properly. You may find that poking the gun through the netting may obscure the scope though.

It you are thinking of shooting at range, why not get comfy, and snugggle in the background in prone position, with the netting over you.

Also be care full that the sin isnt in your face or the reflection of the sun on your optics will spook them.

p.s anywhere in a field is vunrable from pigeons, howver severe damage to the edges is usually done by bunnies!. Also you'll find that the farmers dont always sow to the true boundary of the field.

Since it looks like I'm going to need some netting...

What does anyone reckon about say a 10' high x 20' long piece of camo-netting with 3 poles in it so it could be leant against tree's - or put well into a field with the tops of the poles looped together like a wigwam - that could be moved round the field from inside?

Bear in mind that a rimmie has greater range than a shottie - I'm thinking I could be sat on an overturned bucket and poke the gun through the netting rather than stand and fire over it. The idea being to shoot several while busy feeding before they cotton on rather than wait for them to overfly me.

Also I have never done pigeon control - nor watched for their behavior and am curious why crops have been eaten right up to the edge of a field - where magpie's or crows would be wary.

as most pigeon shooting is carried out on large flat fields with none or very few backstops. first question is.

would this form of pigeon control be safe.

farmers, farm workers, dog walkers, ramblers, poachers, courting couples,lost,

horses, cattle, kids playing.etc.etc.

Dave,

I'd forget about trying to decoy Pigeons using a rifle over open fields.

The birds will not generally land within a decoy pattern and stay for long enough for you to get a shot - they're not that daft, no matter how good your fieldcraft, decoy pattern or camouflage, and they certainly won't merrily feed amongst your decoys whilst you bowl 'em over with a rifle.

If you're absolutely intent on this form of shooting, then find a bit of woodland with a few sitty trees in it, (these are generally tallers Oaks or Ashes where the birds will sit) and set up a hide within range of the tree.

Good luck.

Cat

Dave,

I'd forget about trying to decoy Pigeons using a rifle over open fields.

The birds will not generally land within a decoy pattern and stay for long enough for you to get a shot - they're not that daft, no matter how good your fieldcraft, decoy pattern or camouflage, and they certainly won't merrily feed amongst your decoys whilst you bowl 'em over with a rifle.

If you're absolutely intent on this form of shooting, then find a bit of woodland with a few sitty trees in it, (these are generally tallers Oaks or Ashes where the birds will sit) and set up a hide within range of the tree.

Good luck.

Cat

Hi,

Catamong, are you suggesting he shoots upwards with a rimmie? :/ The bullet can travel for a mile if shot up in the air and can do a lot of damage when it lands. :< Or do you mean that he should try and decoy them from their sitty trees?

FM :o

Edited by Ferret Master

Dave,

Catamong, are you suggesting he shoots upwards with a rimmie?

Only if the backdrop is safe, i.e high ground behind.

I think the whole idea is a bit daft, no Farmer will appreciate you telling him you have shot 2 pigeons all day with a rifle, when he knows you could have killed 50+ with a shotgun.

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

Keep the opinions coming in please lads - I'm eager to help a desperate farmer reduce his pigeon problem - and it was his suggestion that I pick em off while they're feeding.

Although this part of leicester is rolling hills - they arn't high enough for a safe rimmie shot into tree's - but thanks for the input.

If the plan is unlikely to produce good results I'd rather hear it and save the £50 odd that the netting will cost.

:o So say so if thats the case - I pwomise I wont bite :/

Theres no dout a shottie is gona give you best results, but my mate met a lad that shot a 3 figure bag with a non FAC air rifle round our way so it isnt impossible.

He shot them just as they were landing with there wings open

George,

Over what period was that 3 figure bag shot - a year..;)

If you've been told it was over one day, I'd have to say that somebody's pulling your plonker, it just can't be done, it's simply not possible..!!!

I would defy anybody to shoot pigeons over decoys with a rifle of any description, let alone a non FAC airgun..!!

As most people will confirm, they're hard enough to kill with a gun that spits out about 300 pellets at 1450 ft / sec in a 30 inch circle..!!

Cat.

I have to disagree,

When shooting birds with shotgun there is no way to determine where each shot will fly. I know you have 200+ shots speeding in the general direction of the bird, but with an air rifle you are placing one accurate shot right in the brain box (of the landed pigeon) and the airgunner would only take the shot if they're sure of a humane kill.

@george:

Shooting 100+ pigeons with an air rifle in one year is a fair task, let alone doing it in one day!!

Cheers

SS

Edited by stupidsalmon

Any experienced shot knows that pigeons don't sit motionless awaiting a firing squad 20 yards from the hide, whilst the rotary spins merrily nearby.

To suggest that you can seriously shoot woodies over decoys with an airgun is completely laughable, and very unsporting, because you cannot be guaranteed consistent kills.

Anybody that thinks otherwise needs to learn a bit more about the sport.

Cat.

I have to disagree,

When shooting birds with shotgun there is no way to determine where each shot will fly. I know you have 200+ shots speeding in the general direction of the bird, but with an air rifle you are placing one accurate shot right in the brain box (of the landed pigeon) and the airgunner would only take the shot if they're sure of a humane kill.

@george:

Shooting 100+ pigeons with an air rifle in one year is a fair task, let alone doing it in one day!!

Cheers

SS

i think catamong and myself are talking airborne birds in this little snippet.