Not a shot

foghorn

Thats why we love it really as when you get a good day it makes up for the poor days :yes:

Rape is always hard to shoot over no matter what but if you do plenty of reccon and i mean plenty it can work out some times and if nothing is happening you need to get moving and find them , i some times will shoot 3 or 4 fields in the day when the flight stops in 1 i move to the next :good:

A frustrating day too, but not on rape, on some fodder kale next to a maize cover strip which I know has been hit by the woodies for at least two weeks, and has had several hundred on during the heavy snow. Of course, having got permission to shoot the field, I thought I was in for a red letter day as I know it hasn't been shot! You can guess the rest. Plenty of birds about, but they didn't seem interested in decoys even though they were on the same chewed off kale they had been on themselves the day before. They were dropping into the maize but at the far end near the feeders and I didn't want to push my luck by setting up there. I managed 14, including a couple I lost in the maize. I don't have a rotary or flapper, but I am starting to think some real movement in the pattern would have brought in some of the birds which flew past apparently uninterested.

A frustrating day too, but not on rape, on some fodder kale next to a maize cover strip which I know has been hit by the woodies for at least two weeks, and has had several hundred on during the heavy snow. Of course, having got permission to shoot the field, I thought I was in for a red letter day as I know it hasn't been shot! You can guess the rest. Plenty of birds about, but they didn't seem interested in decoys even though they were on the same chewed off kale they had been on themselves the day before. They were dropping into the maize but at the far end near the feeders and I didn't want to push my luck by setting up there. I managed 14, including a couple I lost in the maize. I don't have a rotary or flapper, but I am starting to think some real movement in the pattern would have brought in some of the birds which flew past apparently uninterested.

Thats a ****** bud , wish i was aloud near a maize plot in the game season :lol: i think a bit of movement from a rotary may of given you a bit more sport :yes:

Thats a ****** bud , wish i was aloud near a maize plot in the game season :lol: i think a bit of movement from a rotary may of given you a bit more sport :yes:

Tom, I think you are right. Keeper let me near it as they aren't shooting it till next week. I have high hopes for roost shooting and the other cover strips come Feb 1. I have held back on getting a rotary or flapper just because of the weight carrying it all, but I am weakening by the day!

Tom, I think you are right. Keeper let me near it as they aren't shooting it till next week. I have high hopes for roost shooting and the other cover strips come Feb 1. I have held back on getting a rotary or flapper just because of the weight carrying it all, but I am weakening by the day!

Still a day out mate and a nice keeper to boot :lol: we shoot next week but we have had no shoot for over 2 weeks now and got thousands on the maize and rape on the estate just cant get at them as yet . will try beat my 439 in 5 days again on the maize in feb and this year i will get the 500 :lol:

Still a day out mate and a nice keeper to boot :lol: we shoot next week but we have had no shoot for over 2 weeks now and got thousands on the maize and rape on the estate just cant get at them as yet . will try beat my 439 in 5 days again on the maize in feb and this year i will get the 500 :lol:

Absolutely, first day out in ages, even though it was very cold it was good to be out in the fresh air. Keeper is a good lad, always helpful which is really useful when it comes to finding the birds!

i have loads of pigeons round my rape fields,but they cant see the rape for snow,there in the trees waiting for the snow to go.i went out monday loads about,about 200 took out the trees, im going out tomorrow and have a look, but i know you cant see the rape,bit better then sitting in doors.

thats the key if nothing coming in after an hour pack up and look somewhere else;don;t spend 4 to 5 hrs in same spot with nowt happening..

that's easy to do if you have plenty of land to shoot,most of us don't have that luxury,I did the same(sitting around for 6 hours) as the farmer said it was being hit and I'd already recce'd on sunday and it was covered in pigeons,but today there was nothing with-in half a mile,but as it's the only permission i have I had to sit it out and hope they came in for a late feed.

Edited by retromlc

that's easy to do if you have plenty of land to shoot,most of us don't have that luxury,I did the same(sitting around for 6 hours) as the farmer said it was being hit and I'd already recce'd on sunday and it was covered in pigeons,but today there was nothing with-in half a mile,but as it's the only permission i have I had to sit it out and hope they came in for a late feed.

fair play not having a go we don;t have that much land ourselfs;just this year 3 farms we shoot all have rape just dropped lucky in that respect;but i bet if you go back on a windy day you will make a good bag if its covered in birds :good:

fair play not having a go we don;t have that much land ourselfs;just this year 3 farms we shoot all have rape just dropped lucky in that respect;but i bet if you go back on a windy day you will make a good bag if its covered in birds :good:

I know you weren't having a dig,and I'll be keeping my eye on it over christmas,the farmer gave me permission for weekdays only so couldn't have done anything about them last Sunday,but he gave me anytime over christmas so bit more flexable,i just gotta stop moaning and work harder to get more land.

Same thing for me, recced on Sunday, rang the farmer asked if was ok to go on the Wednesday, hoping for better weather, but no pigeons about.

Thats why we love it really as when you get a good day it makes up for the poor days :yes:

Rape is always hard to shoot over no matter what but if you do plenty of reccon and i mean plenty it can work out some times and if nothing is happening you need to get moving and find them , i some times will shoot 3 or 4 fields in the day when the flight stops in 1 i move to the next :good:

Sound advice as ever Tom. I just wish I could follow it. The only two fields I can use are adjoining and at the very edge of the shoot. The other OSR is too close to the game crops. Another few weeks and we will be organising for all fields to be covered by shooters on certain days. That keeps them moving around. Problem is, this is only a very short period before we have to leave them alone again to let the wild game stock breed.

Sound advice as ever Tom. I just wish I could follow it. The only two fields I can use are adjoining and at the very edge of the shoot. The other OSR is too close to the game crops. Another few weeks and we will be organising for all fields to be covered by shooters on certain days. That keeps them moving around. Problem is, this is only a very short period before we have to leave them alone again to let the wild game stock breed.

And i bet there are thousands sitting on the rape fields next to the maize right ? ive the same just got to wait till feb now :yes:

And i bet there are thousands sitting on the rape fields next to the maize right ? ive the same just got to wait till feb now :yes:

We don't have maize Tom. The three other OSR fields are right next to the release woods, bang in the middle of the shoot though. They are full of pigeons. I'll get a couple of months at them before we leave the nesting areas alone under the Country Stewardship Program.

Hopefully this will be my last year shooting in the UK. By October we are hoping to be settled in France (providing we can sell our house over here) and so maize will be a big part of the shooting scene:- more pigs than pigeons though. ;)

i generally head for the woods they roost in this time of year..

When people talk about roost shooting, what do they usually mean.

1. Setup hide on edge of wood and wait, shooting birds as they fly towards the wood?

2. Stand a little way inside wood and shoot straight up at birds as they fly over/into the wood?

3. Walk around wood and shoot at birds as they fly out (if you can get close enough).

I guess you can do any of above, but what is usually meant by roost shooting?

Cheers, Darren.