guncleaning

pigeonman53

alright everybody i have a question i clean my gun after ive used it every time with patches bore cleaner and gun oil now my mate just uses wd 40 the non silicone based and a bit bog roll. whos right and thanks in advance

1) Pour glass of whiskey

2)push wedge of loo roll through the barrels to remove sooty bits and other bebris.

3)Take a sip of whiskey

4) Give a squirt of WD40 into barrels and loosen the stuborn plastic streaks with a bronze brush

5) Repeat step 3

6) Push another loo roll wedge through to remove dirty WD40

7)repeat step 3

8) Pull through two or three times with a bore snake

9)Repeat step 1

10) Push lightly oiled mop through bores to finish

11)Repeat steps 3,5,7 and 9 until happy.

works for me.

R

ive always used WD-40 on my shotguns rifles and airguns. as ferrodo says, i would follow these instructions to the T. One thing i do extra is to drop the action of my rifles out of the stock every few months and give it a wipe over, then i give the underside of the barrel and action a spray. when it has evaporated off i drop it back in to the stock. ive sat in the rain for hours at a time waiting for a foxes and never found a spot of rust under the action when servicing the guns.

steve.

Ferrode, your cleaning method sounds top notch and I will certainly follow it to the letter and see if it helps me to shoot any better when I have cleaned my gun. The only thing that you have not stated is what type of Whiskey is likely to give the best results - At the moment I only have Jack Daniels or Glen Moray available, will these be suitable please mate?

After shooting just spray some legia down the barrel lLegia spray is the ideal product for the maintenance and protection of precision gears. Being a moisture remover it cleans, lubricates and protects fire-arms. It is the product selected by the best gunsmiths. Vaporize legia on barrel and action, wait a few minutes, then wipe up with a cloth leave for a couple of minutes 2 pulls of a snake bore barrels are clean i use the same oil on the ejectors and any moving parts, Hope this helps

I used WD40 on my old Beretta 687 sporter for 25 years, it didn't to it any harm bar darkening the wood around the action a wee bit, I wouldn't use it now though ! it's Bronx for me every time or Blaser spray grease which is superb so I have to be sparing with it as it's not easy got hold of in UK. Parker Hale 009 for cleaning the barrels from lead and plastic build ups, Hoppes grease lightly around the moving parts and a wipe with a silicone cloth to finish off over the exterior of the whole gun.

f3

Ferrode, your cleaning method sounds top notch and I will certainly follow it to the letter and see if it helps me to shoot any better when I have cleaned my gun. The only thing that you have not stated is what type of Whiskey is likely to give the best results - At the moment I only have Jack Daniels or Glen Moray available, will these be suitable please mate?

For Gods sake don't put Jack Daniels down a gun bore....it's American gut rot and will thin the bores. I personally find that a fine Irish will help take away the smell of the WD40

F

For Gods sake don't put Jack Daniels down a gun bore....it's American gut rot and will thin the bores. I personally find that a fine Irish will help take away the smell of the WD40

F

I couldn't recomend putting Jack daniels down a human beings "bore" either(unless you dont like them that is ) :)

during my time in the cadet force in my teens we used to clean the fowling off the gas parts of bren guns in full fat coca cola. It used to work ok! not sure i'd do this with a decent gun though. Then there would usually be a game of returning the coke to the bottle and seeing if we could get someone to drink it !

WD40 is termed so as it is short for Water Displacement 40th attempt.

As is says it removes other oils and greases, the cleaning agents then evaporate and leave an oil residue that lubricates and protects metals for up to 1 year if kept indoors and dry and 3 months if outdoors and dry.

It's fine to use as a gun oil but -

I thought WD40 would stain the woodwork on the gun? +I like the smell of gun oil, don't like WD40!!!!!!

I think I have 10 litres of it in the garage too!!!!