.17hmr is it a centre fire round?

here iam

You can get a 17 centrefire too ;)

Thanks Gary i am trying to get my head round the calbries before filling in my fac

application i want to Know what to apply for i am thinking .22 rimfire for bunnies,but understand i will get more range with the .17 rimfire, also centre fire these .222 hornets overkill on bunnie but ok for charlie so you see where i am coming from .222 will do roe? but not legal for ought bigger so really am looking for good alrounders with out having shell out loads of brass for guns sat their doing nought .

Cheers Lads merry xmas :good:

Thanks Gary i am trying to get my head round the calbries before filling in my fac

application i want to Know what to apply for i am thinking .22 rimfire for bunnies,but understand i will get more range with the .17 rimfire, also centre fire these .222 hornets overkill on bunnie but ok for charlie so you see where i am coming from .222 will do roe? but not legal for ought bigger so really am looking for good alrounders with out having shell out loads of brass for guns sat their doing nought .

Yes do your home work, better to get out with someone for experience

.22 hornet ;) is ideal for fox and vermin

.222 the same really re fox and vermin, but is also legal for the smaller deer but not for roe in england and wales just CWD and muntjac, min cal for roe in england and wales is .243

Generally:-

.22/.17hmr for bunnies

.222/.223/22.250 for charlie

.243 and bigger for bambi

PS, the hornet aint a .222.

as someone investigsting an FAC application. What would be a calibre for rabbits and foxes? .222?

The more i read the more i get confused!!!

There isn't really a do-all calibre for fox and rabbit. If your local FLO allows rimfires for fox (most don't) then LR or HMR is great on rabbits and "will" do fox if you shoot at closer ranges than you would for rabbits.

You can go bigger for fox starting from things like .22Hornet (good choice if you want to reload your own, if not you need to check you can buy the ammo somewhere local), .22CF's (.222, .223, .22-250) or go straight for a .243 which is deer legal in the UK but the cost of shooting these is much much higher than rimfires (typically about 7p for LR, 18p for HMR and anything from 60p to £1 for centrefires per bullet)

I have LR, HMR and ,243 but for rabbits if I could only have one rifle it would be .22LR, my region don't allow rimfire on fox so for that the .243 would be used.

Edited by Colster

as someone investigsting an FAC application. What would be a calibre for rabbits and foxes? .222?

The more i read the more i get confused!!!

There isn't really a do-all calibre for fox and rabbit. If your local FLO allows rimfires for fox (most don't) then LR or HMR is great on rabbits and "will" do fox if you shoot at closer ranges than you would for rabbits.

You can go bigger for fox starting from things like .22Hornet (good choice if you want to reload your own, if not you need to check you can buy the ammo somewhere local), .22CF's (.222, .223, .22-250) or go straight for a .243 which is deer legal in the UK but the cost of shooting these is much much higher than rimfires (typically about 3.5p for LR, 18p for HMR and anything from 60p to £1 for centrefires per bullet)

I have LR, HMR and ,243 but for rabbits if I could only have one rifle it would be .22LR, my region don't allow rimfire on fox so for that the .243 would be used.

This debate crops up fairly frequently, in my book there simply isn't one round ideal for fox and rabbit, you need 2.

I recon the above covers things pretty well :good::good:

If it had to be just one then I suggest .22WMR, but some regions are not happy with rimfire for fox; or Hornet, good if you reload!

Cheers

PS

Has Asda started to sell .22lr now? I thought the days of 3.5p .22lr had gone! :lol::good: