Beretta 303 recurrent problem

Tim Kelly

A friend of mine has a 303 that gets plenty of use, but he keeps on getting the cocking lever (the silver lever attached to the bolt that you pull back to open the chamber) snapping. They're about £25 a time and the latest one has only lasted about 6 months. Is this a known fault, and is there a cure? It went the other morning when we were goose shooting. He'd just had a shot and then I heard swearing coming from his hiding place!

If you let the bolt fly forward with the barrel removed you can damage the receiver because the cocking handle hits it.This could stress the handle causing the subsequent fracture.

I have several 300 series autos and never had a cocking handle break.

Vic.

This place sells cocking levers for 6 euro's as well as most of the spares for all the other beretta's and do normally deliver quite quickly.

http://www.brignoliarmi.com/catalogo.php?liv_id=3_23&liv_prec=15&liv_prec2=23&IdArticolo=269#

Thanks for that. Just tried to order from them and it doesn't seem to be working. Have you used them successfully before yourself?

Thanks for that. Just tried to order from them and it doesn't seem to be working. Have you used them successfully before yourself?

Yes the Beretta importer (GMK) wanted £129 +vat +shipping for a locking block for an A300 of the other half's but brig sent me the locking block within a week for less than £35-00 including shipping from Italy.

Edited by Andy H

as it's old,i think there is a bump stop for the bolt to hit,if that's worn and not working effectivly id the level hitting the back of the reciever slot perhaps,i s'pose it would leave a mark

I second that, is there a gap where the bolt reaches the end of the reciever???? try puting a single layer piece of white plumbers PTFE tape, (its very thin)on the place where they meet! load a shell press the button and see if its left a mark, if it has this could be the problem.

Hope this helps. good luck

Thanks, will pass that on. Managed to order some spares today from the place in Italy, so either way he should be OK for another couple of years.

I've ordered from here recently. About 2 weeks for delivery (just before xmas). Only thing that annoyed me was that all prices are without tax and then they hit you with postage! Still an excellent site cheaper than others though.

when he closes the breach does he push the button underneath and just let the slide cover slam shut after reloading. That would probably make some large shear forces.

You are supposed to let the bolt slam shut when loading the breech.This ensures that the bolt locking mechanism is fully engaged prior to firing the gun.

As I said before,don't let the bolt slam forward when the barrel is removed as this can cause stress and damage.

Vic.

my 303 is great apart from jamming for no reason apart from that nothing ever broke

:shoot: Hello Jock,have you checked that the forend cap is not seized,if you remove it and compress it on a flat surface-it should move in and out freely,you may need a bit of pressure to move it mind,my mate on here Tom and Dexter had the same problem with his,have a look on his topic about it,there is a vid clip about it.it might help as this problem with the caps is not mentioned in the beretta handbook.---Dave

A friend of mine has a 303 that gets plenty of use, but he keeps on getting the cocking lever (the silver lever attached to the bolt that you pull back to open the chamber) snapping. They're about £25 a time and the latest one has only lasted about 6 months. Is this a known fault, and is there a cure? It went the other morning when we were goose shooting. He'd just had a shot and then I heard swearing coming from his hiding place!

did you ever get this problem sorted my friend.

I would tend to agree with Clay Rascal - I use Winchester SX1's and one I bought had no bolt buffer in -it had been shot like that for quite a few rounds and cocking handle has left an impression in receiver at end of slot - took a bit of delicate work with Dremmel to smooth up back end of receiver to take a new buffer.

Dave