does shooting clays help

fergie

does shooting clays help with shooting game  

31 members have voted

1. 1. does shooting clays help with shooting game

• Yes they do help
    • No they don't help
    • everyone is different

AS above does shooting clays help you to get your eye in, shoot more game?

and if so does it matter what Discipline you shoot?

I'm not the best shot in the world and would like to get better but I would rather shoot game than clays, In saying that I haven't give clays a propper go. But if it would help me inprove I will

the reason I ask is that there are a lot of differances between the two 1 example, clays are always slowing down and game is speeding up.

A consistent gun mount and fit is everything,whether you're shooting clays or live quarry.As you rightly say,clays are slowing down whereas most birds are not(unless you're decoying 'air-braking' woodies)but you still need to 'step into' the line of the bird and mount a moving gun whether shootng sporting or live quarry,and I think clays can help with this.Obviously with sporting clays you know where the bird is coming from so can adjust your stance accordingly,not always the case with game.Any practise must be better than none.

I'd say in general terms that clay shooting will help you game shooting. There's little point shooting trap disciplines though. Skeet will help you with swing and lead etc and sporting is supposed to emulate live targets and the skeet basics will help you with this too. It is also true that clays are slowing down after a period of acceleration leaving the trap and game is usually speeding up.

However, if you fancy driven pheasant shooting it is a lot cheaper to have a lesson from a coach and practice shooting incoming clay targets from a tower and identify any shortcomings in your technique or gunfit than 'practice' on the live pheasants you'll be paying expensively for on a bought day!

AS above does shooting clays help you to get your eye in, shoot more game?

and if so does it matter what Discipline you shoot?

I'm not the best shot in the world and would like to get better but I would rather shoot game than clays, In saying that I haven't give clays a propper go. But if it would help me inprove I will

the reason I ask is that there are a lot of differances between the two 1 example, clays are always slowing down and game is speeding up.

Clays slowing down! Depends on how wound up the traps are and which way the clay is going have shot 3 grounds last week and at least quarter of the stands the clay will loose sight behind trees the same as a bird if don't get on it fast it's gone,most clays are simulated birds and can be set up to be more testing,if they are to hard people don't go back and if to easy no point in going

Some game shooters will start the season with high tower driven birds,it's good practice,I can tell game shooters at clay shoots by the way they shoot and how they shoot,I am no expert but clays is a good practice,

I have heard people say in the past Clays don't help when shooting Game.

I have never understood this as there are many parts of Clay work that must help in my mind, movement, stance, lead, hold, familiarity etc etc.

Clays aren't birds, and I am not suggesting it is perfect training, but I feel it must be of some assistance! :good:

Shooting Clays will definately help. If you are using clays for practice shoot with your gun off the shoulder.

If you are looking to shoot the expensive driven stuff practice driven clays. If you are walking game up then practice the going away and quatering stuff. The springing teal stand will help as well. The more times you pull the trigger the better you'll get generally. :good:

Clay targets are consistent(ish). Be aware that game birds can stall and/or accelerate at will. Watch the wind and beware the curling pheasant or partridge! :lol:

Edited by Whitebridges

I don't shoot game but have seen plenty of game shooter at local sporting ground over the last few months, some having lessons, some just standing on driven stands. To the point there are now 4 dedicated driven stands at the end of the layout as well as a novice driven stand mixed in with usual going away, crossers, rabbits and others there are also 2 and 4 man flushes available while clays do slow i can't think of a bird that goes 0-60Mph in 1 second! Not all clay grounds will be a big benefit but most sporting grounds should be able to accommodate a game shooter for some practise...