February pigeon shoot !

Royboy

For several years now we've had a Pigeon Watch National Day for Grey Squirrel and Wood Pigeon.

It held on the second Saturday in February.

The general format is for groups to meet up in the woods around noon and then break up unto smaller groups of two or three guns and then search the woods for, GREY Squirrels. Correctly identified dreys can be shot out, but only in woods where there are NO REDS.

After a couple of hours or so guns move on to their roost shooting positions to shoot the woodies.

By having a concentrated effort the flocks of woodies are kept on the move for as long as possible and moved on from wood to wood, and the efforts of neighbouring estates and shoots benefit each other.

Please remember to record your kills on the PW running count threads for GREY Squirrels and Wood Pigeon.

webber

Round my area in feb we have a pigeon shoot every Saturday that starts at 2pm until dusk. The beaters get to choose the woods there in by the amount of times and years they have been beating. so some1 that has been beating for 20 years say gets first choice of a wood. I think this happens all through lancs. Was just wondering if this happens all over the country . I was board so though I'd start a topic ! This has happend for many years on my estate sinse I can remember any way. Aparantly 30 years ago the sky was black with pigeon and ure barrels would get red hot !

Edited by Royboy

Yes every sat for the first 3 weeks in feb all the woods are taken from what time all depends on what time we finish hare shooting .

Im lucky as i have my own wood on the estate so as soon as we are done im on my way to the wood .

Had a good do in there are few times last year best bag was 66 in 2 hours :yes:

Round my area in feb we have a pigeon shoot every Saturday that starts at 2pm until dusk. The beaters get to choose the woods there in by the amount of times and years they have been beating. so some1 that has been beating for 20 years say gets first choice of a wood. I think this happens all through lancs. Was just wondering if this happens all over the country . I was board so though I'd start a topic ! This has happend for many years on my estate sinse I can remember any way. Aparantly 30 years ago the sky was black with pigeon and ure barrels would get red hot !

yep same as round my way as well.

originally started off (nationwide) as every friday in feb and the 1st fri in march

most do it on saturdays now due to people having to work

i have always gone on a friday to 1 permission and to another permission on saturday afternoon, throughout feb and first few weeks in march, take a couple of friends with me and cover a couple of woods

most estates do it around here and so does the local pigeon club (but they always blast at them when the first appear over the woods to high up and ruin for others in that wood)

the best way to shoot pigeon imo

i think national average is... 1 kill for every 7 shots

Edited by TJ91

i think national average is... 1 kill for every 7 shots

I think that some guys near me are around the 20 to 1 with the amount of shots i hear then when i ask how they did they say 4 or 5 . :rolleyes:

Key is not to rush your self in to taking the birds to early . I shot 12 times in my wood last year best average was 2 to 1 on a windy evening and worst was 5 to 1 on a night with little to no wind :yes:

I think that some guys near me are around the 20 to 1 with the amount of shots i hear then when i ask how they did they say 4 or 5 . :rolleyes:

Key is not to rush your self in to taking the birds to early . I shot 12 times in my wood last year best average was 2 to 1 on a windy evening and worst was 5 to 1 on a night with little to no wind :yes:

1 lad i took last year got 2 for 82 shots :lol: (neither were killed outright either)

i prefer a good windy night to keep them shifting at speed, i seem to beter snap shooting...

if i watch a bird fly straight towards me from 300yards away over an open field, i am pretty much garanteed to miss, whereas if i see a 1 going hell for leather at the last second i am more likely to hit it...

when decoying if i see one coming in from other side of field, i have to take my eyes off it and try judge when it will arrive in pattern, then look up and shoot as soon as i spot it!

hence the reason i do better on flightlines and roosting.

Some places are friday nights, others saturday nights, often on neighbouring estates, farms erc, which tends to dilute the overall effectiveness of the operation. The traditional night was friday I believe with a gradual move to saturdays. Always enjoy a bit of roosting, best on a windy night or if there is snow on the ground.

1 lad i took last year got 2 for 82 shots :lol: (neither were killed outright either)

i prefer a good windy night to keep them shifting at speed, i seem to beter snap shooting...

if i watch a bird fly straight towards me from 300yards away over an open field, i am pretty much garanteed to miss, whereas if i see a 1 going hell for leather at the last second i am more likely to hit it...

when decoying if i see one coming in from other side of field, i have to take my eyes off it and try judge when it will arrive in pattern, then look up and shoot as soon as i spot it!

hence the reason i do better on flightlines and roosting.

I had a good laugh when I read the 2 for 82 bit.

Roost shooting really can knock a hole into your cartridge to kill ratio.

I always remember and pass on to novices the saying that the old gun whom originally took me roost shooting for the first time,

"wait until they are the size of dinner plates"

I remember this every time I go roost shooting, as I shot 22 that day, whilst the other syndicate members only managed a handful or less each.

I've often wondered if that was the reason it took me several years to join the syndicate.

Happy days.

webber

Edited by webber

Not heard of this before, sounds great. Can someone explain how this is organised.. Where are guns placed ? What is brieft to the guns ? Does the organiser do a reci of the woods night before to see which side of the woods the birds are comming into roost or is this depending on which way the wind is blowing ? Asking all this to pass onto the keeper I help, where there is plenty of woods about and birds.. As much info would be greatly appreciated chaps. :good:

Not heard of this before, sounds great. Can someone explain how this is organised.. Where are guns placed ? What is brieft to the guns ? Does the organiser do a reci of the woods night before to see which side of the woods the birds are comming into roost or is this depending on which way the wind is blowing ? Asking all this to pass onto the keeper I help, where there is plenty of woods about and birds.. As much info would be greatly appreciated chaps. :good:

Roost shooting is normally organised by the keeper on most shoots as a 'thank you' to his beaters. Some knowledge of favourite roosting woods is required so you know where the best place to stand is. Has the keeper on your shoot not organised roost shooting before then?

stand downwind of where the pigeons land (they will usualy land in bear trees before dropping into lower branches/bushes covered in ivy or small evergreens)

get someone in every wood to keep them moving

hard to belive a keeper has never opganised or done abit of roosting before

brief...shoot as many pests/vermin as possible, dont shoot at them when they are well up above the woods

keep well camo'd, face veil!

a dog is very handy if there is alot of brash at bottom of woods. pick up all spent carts...the obvious things apply

The general format is for groups to meet up in the woods around noon and then break up unto smaller groups of two or three guns and then search the woods for, GREY Squirrels.

After a couple of hours or so guns move on to their roost shooting positions to shoot the woodies.

You have just described my Saturday afternnons for all of February and into March.

Jan/Feb used to be fairly boring months before I started beating, in some respects they are some of the best months of the year now.

You have just described my Saturday afternnons for all of February and into March.

Jan/Feb used to be fairly boring months before I started beating, in some respects they are some of the best months of the year now.

excellent isn't it, we usually have 2 days of hare drives followed by roosting then another couple of days vermin drives again finishing off roosting. A perfect way to finish the season off