freak shooting occurences

tomhw100

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few weeks past i was out on a permission ive right next to the A5 .i shot a high pigeon but only clipped it great watched it as it tryed to carry on flying so i walked up to where it had finaly landed nothing looked round and there it was sitting in a bush with half its wings missing so i try to catch it but pigeon wasnt in the mood to be picked up by me so it jumped out of the bush on to the grass by the A5 so i managed to find a hole in the bush,so im walking towards the pigeon when it turns round looks at me then jumps on to the A5 bang lorry runs over it

a few weeks past i was out on a permission ive right next to the A5 .i shot a high pigeon but only clipped it great watched it as it tryed to carry on flying so i walked up to where it had finaly landed nothing looked round and there it was sitting in a bush with half its wings missing so i try to catch it but pigeon wasnt in the mood to be picked up by me so it jumped out of the bush on to the grass by the A5 so i managed to find a hole in the bush,so im walking towards the pigeon when it turns round looks at me then jumps on to the A5 bang lorry runs over it

Lol!! :lol:

I have had deer grazing within 20 feet of where I was standing, when out pigeon shooting. Funniest deer encounter was with a fallow stag that came within 20 feet, before he saw me, then he jumped back with a loud snort and ran for 50 feet, stopped, looked back, saw I hadn't moved and slowly walked off, acting Mr cool again.

Most bizarre encounter was with a squirrel. I was looking down at him from the edge of a crater as he crossed and on seeing me he flipped over onto his side, playing dead! I couldn't believe it. After about 10 mins, he opened one eye to see if I was watching. He realised he had been rumbled and ran for it. I was laughing so much, I couldn't have shot straight if I tried :lol:

Edited by MartB

Lol weirdest thing I saw was a guy in the middle of one of my fields with a shovel and a metal detector and a can of Stella when we lamped it from a far we couldn't even make out what it was so we walked closer got about 100 yards lamped again n could tell it was a person so thought hmmm poacher kept walking said got up to him n me n my buddy were just like *** lol about half 12 at night totally bizarre . Oh n when on my way back home one day in the afternoon saw a squirrel run in to the road look at my car then rush back towards the trees and jump for it only to hit a fence post god I was laughing for ages proper killing myself hahahaahahaha makes me laugh now.

Lol weirdest thing I saw was a guy in the middle of one of my fields with a shovel and a metal detector and a can of Stella when we lamped it from a far we couldn't even make out what it was so we walked closer got about 100 yards lamped again n could tell it was a person so thought hmmm poacher kept walking said got up to him n me n my buddy were just like *** lol about half 12 at night totally bizarre .

It's called Night Hawking (or something like that). It's the poaching of the metal detecting world, it's very illegal and the goal is to find treasures on other peoples land without permission.

I was lamping up in London Colney and had a bunny in the scope. The keeper was lamping and just as I was about to squeeze the trigger my scope went completely bright and I couldn't see anything. I said to the keeper to lift his lamp up, because it was catching on the scope.

He said it wasn't him who was shining a lamp through it, so I looked up and off the M25 the police had us lamped from their truck. I felt like a fox in a lamp and steadily, but cautiously headed over :lol:

Thought we were poachers, all cleared up and we were on our way.

I've got a few. I've mentioned these 2 before. I was following a pigeon across a field from my hide, raised the gun, just about to shoot and a Sparrow Hawk took the pigeon and flew into the hedge. A second or so later and I might ahave shot both.

The other was my mate, whose eyes are not as good as they once were, but he won't admit it, shot a pigeon so close that when I picked it up it had no shot in it but the wad in its crop!

My late father told told me a few. He was once walking the edge of a field one evening when a bunny made a dash across the front of him towards the crop. He mounted his gun followed and was just about to pull the trigger when he noticed a bare **** sticking up in the long grass, right in his line of fire! He managed to abort his shot and for the hell of it let both barrels go into the air. Anyway, the couple managed to cover themselves up and the bloke had a right go at my dad for disturbing them! Cheeky sod! Shook the old man up for a time, so close to a tradegy.

He also told me about uncle shooting a pheasant from his bedroom window, blew all the panes out and he missed it! :lol:

I shot a pigeon coming towards me at a high rate of knotts once, good job I ducked, it buried itself in the hedge behind me just about where my head would have been. :/

I've also witnessed some hiker wench take a pee in the hedge the other side of a brook from my hide! I did the decent thing and looked the other way... Honest! :rolleyes:

Not a shooting story this, I was out at daybreak just finishing a nights seatrout fishing when I was in need of a "toilet break". Bearing in mind its about 4 in the morning and I'm miles from anywere I thought I'd be ok. Anyway, I found a secluded ditch, did the business, just pulled my kegs up and I get a "good morning, loverly day isn't it" from some wench walking her dog! :blush:

I've also had a Barn Owl nearly take my head off one night when I was sea trout fishing, I can only think I has a moth on my cap or something.

When I was a kid, I used to go on driven days with a friend. I only stood beside him and watched, but once we were in between drives and there was this huge flock of pigeons feeding around a pheasant feeder.

He pulled the car over, grabbed the 12 bore and gave it to me. He said, "Go on, see how many you can get"

I hauled the shotgun to my shoulder and pulled the trigger.

All the pigeons flew up, leaving just one solitary pigeon, dead as a stone, sat down on the tiniest patch of circular grass, which was about 2" high off the ground, completely surrounded by mud. It was like a taxidermied pigeon :lol:

Edited by Billy.

• 1 year later...

Shot a crow the other year, it folded and nose dived into the pattern, any way after 4 hrs of decoying crows, we pack up and gather all the dead birds in, as im walking to the above crow ,low and behold it gets up and flys off , absolutely mind blowing. It was stone dead ,

Atb flynny

Shot a crow the other year, it folded and nose dived into the pattern, any way after 4 hrs of decoying crows, we pack up and gather all the dead birds in, as im walking to the above crow ,low and behold it gets up and flys off , absolutely mind blowing. It was stone dead ,

Atb flynny

You sure?

On a shoot in Scotland many years ago my neighbouring gun shot a decent cock pheasant and after it had landed a terrible screaming commenced. It turned out to be a seagull which must have been flying over very high and was shot with the same cartridge as the pheasant and it screamed as it cartwheeled down to earth.

When I was a boy hunting hedges and ditches a group of four teal got up from a water splash twenty yards from me and I shot all of them with my single barrelled twenty bore. All were dead and all were cock birds.

My favourite story I witnessed first hand. A lady acquaintance was encouraged for years by her father to take up shooting. She resisted for a long time before coming out on a driven shoot. She missed everything until a woodcock flew passed and she 'downed 'it. At the end of the day the bag was laid out and a woodcock, one of about twenty shot that day, simply woke up and flew out of the game larder. Cruelly one of the guns immediately told her that it was the one which she had shot! It would have been her only kill of the day.

Sat in a high seat at dusk using a handcall, for fox, I nearly had a Tawny owl land next to me :o and similarly, had one try to grab me when I was leaning out of the car calling when lamping for fox.

Sat in the field side on my butt and a mole/vole/mouse started to push his tunnel back into shape under my leg, which was most disconcerting and just recently whilst calling foxes in a field edge I felt the same thing, so I just banged the ground under my leg, however a few minutes later it did it again and I lifted my leg to bang the ground and a fully grown frog leaped out :o :o

Watched a family of Jays working a tree-line when stalking and they made little murmuring noises and cheeps to each other that I have never heard before or since, really nice moment (I still shoot the little $&**$£ though)

When i was about 12 out on the farm with my mate Steve , i shot a big doe rabbit with an air rifle, straight through the head, as it was twitching in it's last throes Steve's jack russell terrier steamed over to it and proceeded to try and hump the rest of the life out of it, took me @ half an hour to stop laughing

Had an odd one yesterday where I shot at a jackdaw with the second barrell after hitting another with the first, and thought I missed the blighter as it turned and carried on - only for it to get a good 20 yards away and literally fall out of the sky stone dead. Obviously didn't want to accept it was dead!

Edited by Richard.Hosgood

Had one today, over the last week I've been watching what I thought was a "fox" at 9 o'clock the eyes was shining always in the same spot, never could get a clear Id on it from 200 yards so today I went and waited in the same spot but 50 yards away as I sat there I turned on the lamp to see 2 small badgers rolling around playing with a large adult sat watching, rolls on 9 adult gets infront and leads them off up the hedge row and across where I had seen eye shine before, just goes to show never take a shot if you can't id the target!

When i was about 12 out on the farm with my mate Steve , i shot a big doe rabbit with an air rifle, straight through the head, as it was twitching in it's last throes Steve's jack russell terrier steamed over to it and proceeded to try and hump the rest of the life out of it, took me @ half an hour to stop laughing

Well it was twitching, putting some work in ☺

Just picturing it, very funny 😄