wood pigeon

king ratcatcher

I imagine this bird -flu thingy is on every pigeon shooter's mind, all advice seems to be on poultry and wildfowl.

When they say everbody must be vigilant and report finding dead birds, how many of us have shot a field a day or two after someone else and come across the odd dead bird that the previous shooter has "lost" for whatever reason?

Is it likely or possible that pigeon/crow/jackdaw/rook can get it?

Look lets get real here...how many people died from the last scare, BSE some I know and it's sad but it certainly wasn't/isn't the threat to the human race we were told it might be. There's more nutters on here than ever got BSE.

This flu has killed what 90 odd people world wide, get it WORLDWIDE. 90 out of how many on this overcrowded planet??? Stop listening to all the media hype and start thinking.

Yes it probably will arrive here in the UK sooner rather than later and maybe a lot of people will get sick but probably no more than with every other type of virus we face. Some may die (hope to hell it's not me :rolleyes: ) but hey that's life and it's certainly not gonna stop the human race!

I'm glad you posted that highlander, as I was about to. Their has probably been more people killed by cars in the time it took me to type this then died of bird flu.

With 90 deaths worldwide and 20,000,000 pigeons in the UK alone I would hardly worry about catching it.

Lets face it with salmonella from eggs, tapeworms from pork, BSE from beef, bird flu from just about anything with feathers about the only safe thing to eat will be farleys rusks. And they are probably full of E numbers and chemicals.

Cheers

MC

Correct - chances of any of us catching it from birds are tiny. But, that's not what all the media stories, government plans, drug stock-piling etc is about.

It is about the possibility/likelihood of the virus mutating so that it can be caught from another human being rather than a bird. Then the chances of catching it become much, much higher. And with a death rate of around 50% you begin to understand the panic.

Anyway, back to the question. My memory is a bit hazy but I think at least a couple of the deaths in Asia were from eating infected bird meat but it was raw duck liver rather than a cooked breast that was eaten if I recall correctly.

I think all birds can catch AI but might be wrong. I'll still be munching away though

Piebob

Even so it would be good to know whether pigeons are at risk from bird flu. The last thing anyone wants is for our farmers to suffer yet another serious crisis and if we are putting anyone at risk by handling and spreading the disease it would be useful to know how to go about minimising this risk. I think we need more information about what and who is at risk from carrying or contracting the virus or whatever it is.

IAS

I think iamspartacus has a fair point.

Its very easy to get over concerned about bird 'flu, but it is also dangerous to be too glib about it, as well.

Whilst there may not be a great risk to human life....at present, there are likely to be disruptions to us as shooters and movers around the countryside.

When we get our first confirmed cases in the UK, I expect DEFRA will inundate everybody with information and "do's and don'ts".

The Poultry Farmers, Bird Importers etc., first and shooters and general folk will be a lot lower on the list.

I think it will be the exclusion areas that will affect us as much, if not more than, handling restrictions.

Dear All,

Yes pigeons and other birds can catch AI.

No you cannot catch it ffrom eating well cooked meat.

Eggs can carry the virus - so cook eggs well.

As and when outbreaks hit the UK there will be 10km exclusion zones around each ourbreak area and in some cases some shooting will be prohibited.

These exclusions will stay in place for a minimum of 21 days.

Up to date info is posted on the BASC web site every day

www.basc.org.uk

David

Dear All,

Yes pigeons and other birds can catch AI.

No you cannot catch it ffrom eating well cooked meat.

Eggs can carry the virus - so cook eggs well.

As and when outbreaks hit the UK there will be 10km exclusion zones around each ourbreak area and in some cases some shooting will be prohibited.

These exclusions will stay in place for a minimum of 21 days.

Up to date info is posted on the BASC web site every day

www.basc.org.uk

David

As David BASC says, all birds can catch and CARRY it.

But, as pointed out in several newspaper articles last weekend, one of the biggest public health concerns if (when) bird flu hits the UK; will be the huge population of Urban Ferals...... all of them living in close proximity to human populations.

So folks, I reckon it's time to take off the Cammo gear, put on smart suits & ties, and pack a fold-away rifle in your briefcases. Let's go visit the big city !! ;)