cortisone injections

cocker3

the reason i am asking is i have been told i need them in my right knee after 22 years of football abuse.the cartilage in my knee has worn away to nothing

what i would like to know if anyone has had it done . firstly does it work and for how long did it work for .

secondly how much does it hurt i have been told every thing from not much to it was the worst pain i have every felt (am a bit of a **** bag with needles).the pain iam in just now is prity bad at times (after walking for about half an hour or kneeling at work )my knee swells to twice its normal size .

so my thinking is any thing is better than what i have got at the moment they have also told me that if i dont look after my knee i could be looking at needing a new knee in 15- 20 years and at 55-60 that would be a disaster .

so any one had them done on a knee ?

or is there anything else out there that my help

thanks andy

Edited by cocker3

I have. Unfortunately the doc had to give me 3 because he was a numpty and couldn't be sure it had worked the first time. :mad:

It hurt like hell (I don't mind injections) but this has to be right in between the joint and as it is a tender area anyway due to the injury, it was really painful. To be honest, I thought that if he was going to give me a fourth one, I would have had to say no because I knew I would pass out. The first two were not too bad but got more painfull as he tried to get it just right (plus he kept wiggling the damn needle).

However, I wish I had done it earlier because appart from some bruising due to the docs ham fisted approach, I had near instant relief from the pain. After a day or so the bruising subsided and I have never had any pain since.

Bloody knees I've had six opps on mine including two cruciate reconstructions the last one being a doner transplant.

I've had cortisone too and ouch! Sorry to say so not too painful at the time but bu??£& it got worse every minute after for quite a while! I did get a little relief but not really worth it to be honest.

Roll on the new knees I reckon I've got about 5-10 years to go till I get some. the wires already hold me she's not pushing me around in a chair! Bloody knees

shippy

I have. Unfortunately the doc had to give me 3 because he was a numpty and couldn't be sure it had worked the first time. :mad:

It hurt like hell (I don't mind injections) but this has to be right in between the joint and as it is a tender area anyway due to the injury, it was really painful. To be honest, I thought that if he was going to give me a fourth one, I would have had to say no because I knew I would pass out. The first two were not too bad but got more painfull as he tried to get it just right (plus he kept wiggling the damn needle).

However, I wish I had done it earlier because appart from some bruising due to the docs ham fisted approach, I had near instant relief from the pain. After a day or so the bruising subsided and I have never had any pain since.

well that fills me with confidence :lol: :lol: but thank for the input :good: :good: :good:

Yes thanks, many times , both shoulders, both elbows, never been worth the the trouble.

As for pain, a couple were fine, a couple not so fine, I have ended up having surgery on both shoulder and and elbow.

I have also had carpal tunnel relief surgery 3 times, and a disc at C6 removed from my neck along with the vertebra fused, all in the last few years.

None of those hurt as much as the cortisone injections that was "not so fine"

Neil.

the reason i am asking is i have been told i need them in my right knee after 22 years of football abuse.the cartilege in my knee has worn away to nothing

what i would like to know if anyone has had it done . firstly does it work and for how long did it work for .

secondly how much does it hurt i have been told every thing from not much to it was the worst pain i have every felt (am a bit of a **** bag with needles).the pain iam in just now is prity bad at times (after walking for about half an hour or kneeling at work )my knee swells to twice its normal size .

so my thinking is any thing is better than what i have got at the moment they have also told me that if i dont look after my knee i could be looking at needing a new knee in 15- 20 years and at 55-60 that would be a disaster .

so any one had them done on a knee ?

or is there anything else out there that my help

thanks andy

Same with me Cocker 18 years semi pro in the old southern league and finally in the isthmian, playing on pitches that were sometimes concrete combined with three to four days per week pounding the roads or circuits in the gym has worn away the cartilege in both knees. I have had one lot tidied up from the left leg which is the one which gives me the most trouble. I have had several cortizone injections in the left which were ok and certainly provided relief for a few weeks. The left flairs up every couple of months and I am stuck with the onset of Osteo arthritis which when it gets really bad I control with painkillers and anti inflamatories.

In the right knee I have physiotherapy regularly, and its fortunate that my Daughter is a Physiotherapy student at Uni and intends to specilize in sports injury rehabilitaion so I get pretty good service from the NHS. :yes: I am trying to build up the supporting muscles surrounding the joint. Sometimes I cna go months without any pain at all.

Generally the pain of the injection is due to inexperience of the person administering it and not the steroid itself. In the right hands pain is minimal and relief instant.

Sadly pain relief is all it is good for but has an advantage of minimal side effects particularly stomach related such as you may experience with oral painkillers.

I suspect that I will need knee joint replacement in a decade or so and I wish perhaps I had taken the Doctors advice and given up before I did..However as you know yourself that is very difficult to do particularly if you enjoy the game so much.

Good luck

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Had what seemed like a pint of corstisone 3 times a day into the thigh for a week after an op. Like being smacked very, very hard by a gorilla with a scaffold plank, and 10 times worse if you tense up (which after the first one you do, obviously) However, the pain goes almost straight away. I found it helpful to fantasise about the nurse's jugs whilst she was bent over me trying to force the stuff into my leg.

Some scary stuff being written here so lets get some facts up for you. Its what I do for a living, and I carry out about 10 injections for various Orthopaedic problems every day,

Cant believe some of the things being written here.

Does it hurt ? No more than any injection, needle should pass behind the Knee cap into the space behind it. The steroid should be injected with a large dose of local anaesthetic.

will it work and how long does it last.? This is not a cure for degenerative change but is an anti inflammatory agent that will calm down the inflammation that is causing the pain.You can not predict how effective it will be its a suck it and see job. depends how bad the arthritis is as to how long it lasts. if it only lasts a couple of weeks to a few months its not worth repeating, if it lasts 4 or 5 months or longer then worth repeating.

If injection very painful or does not work at all may mean injection not in correct place... for the knee this shouldn't really happen.

I inject little old ladies of 90 plus and they dont complain...........!!!!!

get it done by somebody who does it on a regular basis.

shame you are not down this way could have helped you out

doc

Some scary stuff being written here so lets get some facts up for you. Its what I do for a living, and I carry out about 10 injections for various Orthopaedic problems every day,

Cant believe some of the things being written here.

Does it hurt ? No more than any injection, needle should pass behind the Knee cap into the space behind it. The steroid should be injected with a large dose of local anaesthetic.

will it work and how long does it last.? This is not a cure for degenerative change but is an anti inflammatory agent that will calm down the inflammation that is causing the pain.You can not predict how effective it will be its a suck it and see job. depends how bad the arthritis is as to how long it lasts. if it only lasts a couple of weeks to a few months its not worth repeating, if it lasts 4 or 5 months or longer then worth repeating.

If injection very painful or does not work at all may mean injection not in correct place... for the knee this shouldn't really happen.

I inject little old ladies of 90 plus and they dont complain...........!!!!!

get it done by somebody who does it on a regular basis.

shame you are not down this way could have helped you out

doc

Doc, you sound very proficient, have you got nice jugs? If so I'll give you a call next time I need a jab... :D

first off cortisone injections merely mask a problem, yes they give relief but its not permanant and you DO end up damaging the knees further, I had many then I also had gel injections ( and if any doctor says these dont hurt I suggest they trained under mengler or that they let me administer one to them)again they are simply a relief mechanism not a cure, then at a still fairly young age I was told that I would have total knee replacement of both knees, my left one first (it was the worst) then a few months later the right, had the left done sept 09,initially it was fantastic! but by xmas it had started swelling to such an extent that I could not bend it or walk without severe pain,far far worse than the continual ache that I had put up with prior to the op, anyway to cut a long story short the implant had "broken away" and I ended up back under the knife to have the "new knee" removed and replaced.

The second knee( a much more involved jobbie) is far better in comparisson but still not 100% in fact in reality not 90% but I can get about well and now walk without a pronounced limp :good: of that leg and I now cycle to work daily,

will I get the other leg done NO over my dead body I will , I will keep taking pain killers when needed for it (oxycontin work) but my advice to those seeking knee replacement is to recognise that for every person who says its the best thing since sliced bread, another will say they wished they had never had it done, so think long and hard before committing, perhaps my case may not have been helped by the fact that I still work, and climb verticle ladders and long stairways each and everday! not for much longer though :yes:

KW

Edited by kdubya

Iv'e had them a few times,bit uncomfortable,bit sore and didn't like it very much.I was told I needed a knee replacement five years ago whenI was 48,but because I'm a below knee amputee it's impossible to do it as there's not enough bone left.The injections didn't give me much relief nor did they last very long,my only option is to have my knee removed,and that's not going to happen :good: I'm having surgery to both my hands,the right one is the worst so that will be first,I had the injections into both hands,usually six or eight at a time,that worke for a wile but it's no fix for the problem,get what causes the problem fixed dont just stop the pain for the short term.Doc's right,not much more painful than an ordinary injection even with the wiggling about when it's done by a good experienced doc.

john

first off cortisone injections merely mask a problem, yes they give relief but its not permanant and you DO end up damaging the knees further, I had many then I also had gel injections ( and if any doctor says these dont hurt I suggest they trained under mengler or that they let me administer one to them)again they are simply a relief mechanism not a cure, then at a still fairly young age I was told that I would have total knee replacement of both knees, my left one first (it was the worst) then a few months later the right, had the left done sept 09,initially it was fantastic! but by xmas it had started swelling to such an extent that I could not bend it or walk without severe pain,far far worse than the continual ache that I had put up with prior to the op, anyway to cut a long story short the implant had "broken away" and I ended up back under the knife to have the "new knee" removed and replaced.

The second knee( a much more involved jobbie) is far better in comparisson but still not 100% in fact in reality not 90% but I can get about well and now walk without a pronounced limp :good: of that leg and I now cycle to work daily,

will I get the other leg done NO over my dead body I will , I will keep taking pain killers when needed for it (oxycontin work) but my advice to those seeking knee replacement is to recognise that for every person who says its the best thing since sliced bread, another will say they wished they had never had it done, so think long and hard before committing, perhaps my case may not have been helped by the fact that I still work, and climb verticle ladders and long stairways each and everday! not for much longer though :yes:

KW

Again rubbish being spouted complications of Knee replacements run at 12% most are minor problems, but a small number end up with an unacceptable outcome...Do you really think we would be allowed to carry out elective surgery with only a 50% success rate. sorry to get on your case but I have to deal on a daily basis with patients who have been scared witless by this daily mail hysteria

Again rubbish being spouted complications of Knee replacements run at 12% most are minor problems, but a small number end up with an unacceptable outcome...Do you really think we would be allowed to carry out elective surgery with only a 50% success rate. sorry to get on your case but I have to deal on a daily basis with patients who have been scared witless by this daily mail hysteria

my advice to think about it long and hard is based on having had one and not wanting another,not by reading the daily mail, or could you not be bothered to read my story? I have sat in many a waiting room talking to patients either who have had a knee replacement or are wating for them, the horror stories exist, mine included so please dont say its rubbish, my story is fact not fiction,I dont want to alarm people with knee problems just give them the heads up that it may not be the be all and end all and that frankly you could end up worse off, oh and your condesending attitude is frankly poor, and aloof.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Had 3 in my elbows...they were uncomfortable but not the end of the world.

Lasted a while but unfortunately not a panacea for everything and the discomfort returned after a couple of months.

Symptoms in right arm have eased after Carpal Tunnel surgery (pains all the way down my forearm and weakness in gripping) but left arm is very painful to the point that just rolling over in the night is enough to wake me up.

Now on Meloxicam which I have to admit is great.

Arm still hurts now and again but these pills make it very manageable.

Since having these, I would not opt for the injections again.

Edited by Sprackles