strange....just had a phone call

craftycarper

strange one this...just gets a call from some indian guy telling me that i have a problem with my pc, apparently malware etc that is making it slow down :hmm: funny that as i aint got a clue who he is and i aint repoted any problems although it is running slower than normal, so i play him along. He tells me to go into events viewer :huh:??? whats that..any how press the windows flag key and r together gets you in it...so i do so and a box appears and he tells me to click on admin events..ok...now look in the centre column and what does it say....well about 10,000 warnings and errors dating back to 2007. Then he says.....just hang on while i put you through to our microsoft engineer and he will remotely hook up to your pc online and remove all the malware problems...bang...thats me throwing the phone down....might have taken a while to get through ...but not that bloody stupid....anyone else had one....he has tried to ring back..just ignored it...the number coming up is 091654 nothing else, very worrying

this is a common scam , every machine has "critical errors " so they are easy to say you have a problem . the usual scam is "we can do a sweep with a new microsoft patch , the software is at a reasonable charge of 15 quid paid by credit card ".

the software is bogus they just talk you through the way that clears the history .

but they have your card and that is all they want .

the same goes for "anti virus 2011" it lives in your regestry and refreshes it self each time a internet conection is found . a hard drive wipe is the only way to get rid of it totally . but again they just want your card details .

adi

Play along with it. It really ****** them off.

and get lots of interuptions!

"can you hold a minute, my wife needs me, hang on i'll be right back "

Obviously, check back with them every 5 mins or so...

" Sorry about that.... nearly with you...be right back in a minute..."

Its called scammer-baiting, and I believe is completely legal. :D

Duncan

I was at my mums flat clearing it out today and lo and behold I get one of these calls. Bearing in mind this was the flat of an 86 year old woman who had never used a PC once in her life let alone had one. So I had a bit of fun. Kept them waiting 15 minutes while the PC booted up "it's very slow today must be the virus it's got". Then another 10 minutes while "somebody is at the door". Then probably another 20 while they tried to talk a complete idiot like me around the different screens before I hung up.

I was at my mums flat clearing it out today and lo and behold I get one of these calls. Bearing in mind this was the flat of an 86 year old woman who had never used a PC once in her life let alone had one. So I had a bit of fun. Kept them waiting 15 minutes while the PC booted up "it's very slow today must be the virus it's got". Then another 10 minutes while "somebody is at the door". Then probably another 20 while they tried to talk a complete idiot like me around the different screens before I hung up.

a good end line is

"anyway, got to go - Corrie is starting/lift's arrived/I have dogs to walk/ - bye."

Only when I'm at a loose end of course!

Loved Shabulee's suggestion too :lol: