Jury Service ***!

Evil Elvis

It's a good job we haven't all got this attitude, otherwise our Criminal Justice system would have broken down long ago.

I've done Jury Service once, the timing was inconvenient for me, but it didn't cross my mind to try and get out of it. All reasonable Employers will still pay their staff who are picked, and self employed people can claim loss of earnings, so nobody loses out financially.

I was told it could last 2 weeks, in fact I think I only did a one week stint, it was pretty boring most of the time, just sitting around reading a book or newspaper until you were called in to hear a case.

I got two cases, both quite interesting, one was a guy who'd stabbed a workmate several times with a carving knife at a motorway service area, it turned out he was a schizophrenic, so we found him not guilty of attempted murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility, the other case was of a guy who'd passed a forged £50 note in a shop, I was elected Jury foreman for that one, I well remember one woman juror insisting he must be guilty just because he "looked guilty", but we eventually found him not guilty. I think he was a bit surprised, as it turned out he had a bit of form, but you've got to make your decision only on the evidence that is put before you in the Court.

I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable experience, mostly a bit boring, and frustrating as I had better things to do with my time, but just imagine if there were no jurys, only a judge, would you rather be tried in Court by him or her, or by 11 fellow Essex men..??

Just do it, it's one of lifes experiences, and a Public service. :yes:

Cat.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from another site.

Exemptions From Jury Duty: How To Avoid Jury Service

Please note immediately that this hub relates only to UK jury service, although some of these ideas may well be relevant in some other countries. I take no responsibility for any of the consequences of any attempt to use one of these excuses, and have not tried any myself, mainly because I am already exempt from jury service for a period of ten years. Personally I cannot really see any reason for somebody to not want to play an important role in the justice system unless they are genuinely incapable of standing, however each to their own! All of these ideas and exemptions have been taken, and where necessary adapted, from other sources.

* Effects Business - A commonly used excuse seems to be the effects of jury service on business, particularly used by the self-employed. If you are a sole trader or a tradesman, then it may be possibility that you could stake a claim for serious loss of business, rather than the standard compensation for salary loss, and thus the court will allow you to stand down to complete a job.

* Knowing The Defendant - If you inform the court staff that you know the defendant then you will be removed immediately from the Jury and sent home; although lying about this could see you face charges yourself! This is certainly one which should only be used if you actually do know the defendant, and should always be used if you know the defendant!

* Recently Served - If you have served as a juror at any time during the previous 2 years then you have the right to be excused; obviously you cant lie about this one either.

* Mental Health Problems - You may be exempt from Jury service if you are suffering from certain mental health issues, such as Bipolar or severe depression etc. Anything which may effect your ability to make a sound judgement will get you off. Severe nerves or anxiety would probably get you off too.

* Serve A Prison Sentence -Current prisoners or convicted criminals on some form of probation or monitoring are not allowed to sit on a jury, although I know which role I would rather be playing in court.

* Childcare Problems - If you have young children, then citing worries about childcare arrangements is a sure fire way to get away with not attending.

* Health Problems & Disabilities - Any disability such as hearing deficiency, severe shortsightedness, or learning difficulties, which can be backed up by a doctors note or your medical records, will see you given exemption.

More Extreme Ways Of Getting Out Of Jury Service

* Get Yourself Arrested - On the morning that you are due to start your Jury Service, then call the court later in the day upon your release from a stinking police cell; you will be told that you are not required - but no action can be taken against you. A rather lame reason to get yourself a caution or even a court appearance! Please don't actually do this, Jury Service really isn't that bad!

* Fabricate Extreme Prejudices - Tell the court that you hold extreme prejudices against non-whites (alter race accordingly), homosexuals (or heterosexuals), and non-Christians (alter as you wish). They will reject you immediately, however this is again unrecommended; else you could end up with a file somewhere!

* Claiming A Grudge Against Authority - Claiming a serious grudge against the CPS or the Police force would almost certainly see you given a swift exemption.

* Ignore The Letter - Apparently as few as 20% of people respond to a Jury Service letter, and most those who don't will unlikely get in trouble as this costs money; how can they prove that you received a letter sent through standard Royal Mail postage? If you didn't sign for it they can't.

Imagine it was a VERY bad drugs baron or suchlike who then threatens the jury? Its happened, when it was revealed the whole jury was changed :blink:

I'm self employed so having to take maybe weeks off isn't an option. I'd politely state that my extreme views will mean that everyone will be found guilty and I suggest the death penalty...

What is your objection to doing it?

I have several:

i have arthritis in my hips and shoulders....I cant sit round for a day without being in pain, let alone 2 weeks

i am just settling into a new job and have a lot of work to do

I am doing a cardiothoracic course at uni thats indepth and needs my brain power, that said it could help me with all the reading I have to do

I will only get basic pay, i rely on the special duty payments that i get to make up my salary!

I must be the only person on the planet who actually wants to do this, I can't see what the issue is.

I am aprehensive for all the above reasons, its not that I actually dont want to do it, i think it could be quite interesting but its inconvenient and its going to hurt!

I've done Jury Service once, the timing was inconvenient for me, but it didn't cross my mind to try and get out of it. All reasonable Employers will still pay their staff who are picked, and self employed people can claim loss of earnings, so nobody loses out financially.

You are wrong on this one, i will loose approx £150-200 for the 2 weeks.

Just do it, it's one of lifes experiences, and a Public service.

I think the last 22 years working for the NHS was enough public service for anyone....dont you? :o

i should also point out that like nickbeardo I always thought it would be cool and interesting, now its here Im not sure :hmm:

Edited by Evil Elvis

hmmmm thats a good point!!! Guilty as seen...as soon as seen YEEman!!! Im doing the Southbank University one, we got given a reading list and a list of whose teaching us and they read the same......its nice to have some seriously skilled people teaching you, doesnt happen at Anglia. The course is half at the Brompton too....where else is there for thoracic skills? Case study, presentation, 2500 word essay and 2 practical tests....all for 15 credits....i did half that for the enb 124!!!! :good:

You are unlikely to get a long trial lasting more than the 2 weeks.

Just because you are called doesn't mean you will be picked, the (forgot the title of the person that selects the jury) get every excuse under the sun but are also very aware of the situation your in.

However to only have non working individuals on Jury's would be a very bad thing for our legal system.

I believe if you take the p33 they can hold you in contempt and it could effect future SGC/FAC renewals.....

I would suggest deferring (speak to your boss) explain that due to other commitments uni course, working patterns that the only dates you could do are XYZ.

You still get to go home see your family and may well get the odd afternoon off and some early finishes.

A mate of mine did it and enjoyed it he normally commutes by train leaving early getting back late and for him it was like a 2 week holiday, lie in (till 7.30) turn up at local court after stopping for a nice coffee, read the paper, have luch, read some ones else's paper, do the crossword, home by 5 most days 11 on a few! Send some guilty Oiks down, set free some innocents.....

I suggest you speak to people who have done it rather than the serial dodgers of civic duty!

You could suggest that you have met the defendant at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. The defendants denial of having ever attended would be deemed a natural one and nobody from within the group could ever confirm or deny the defendants attendance due to the groups confidentiality policy. Perfect!

The best one to get out of it ?? will be

SRY i know the accused or im related to him. :)

You can state you recognise the defendant when you stand up to take the oath and you will be asked to stand down.

That may only work once though.

There is a lot of hanging about, you may get an interesting case you may not.

We were asked if we could spare 2 weeks plus, and few people, me included said they couldn't so we weren't picked for a complex case with interpreters. But I had already done 2 cases by then, so I had done my bit.

blimey if you needed interpreters they must have been guilty ;)

I'd quite like to do Jury service but with your own business things would fall over here if I was away for a fortnight so would have to use the exemption at the moment.

I was called up when I was a student and because I was on a work placement I got out of it very easily by just going down to the court with the call-up letter. This was some weeks before the trial.

A clerk found my name on a list and just crossed it off. Job done.

Would happily do it now but also have my own business. Don't know how they compensate you for that?

I was exempted in the 70's, as I was working as a mental health nurse in what is now termed Severe and Dangerous Personality Disorder units, and I have never been asked since, much to my regret. I only applied because my boss told me I had to, and being fairly young and naive, I beleived him. He later said it was because they were too short-staffed :angry: . I would like to do this now I'm retired, to give a bit back to the system, but it looks like once you are exempted, you are never asked again.

Edited by Bloke

EE,

I got called about 8 years ago. I had just started a new job and was only about 2 weeks in.

My employer wrote in to this effect and they just came up with other dates later in the year.

I wrote them back a lengthy letter saying I had a bad back which meant I had to lie down once every 30 mins. I also told them I had a form of swearing tourettes and that I had a serious bowel problem that meant I would need to be sat on a commode in the court. They wrote back saying that they didnt need my services ! :good::lol:

I have had a few mates do jury service recently, they all said that it was thoroughly boring and that they would rather have been in work.

I am sure you can think of a few serious medical complaints that will get you off it ! :good:;)