reegy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol::lol::lol:

you find that funny do you,i dont,you crack on sunshine,i just dont know how some people get an FAC,and looking at your posts you havnt had one very long what just over 2 months,but at least you bought a decent rifle

Edited by Ackley

you find that funny do you,i dont,you crack on sunshine,i just dont know how some people get an FAC,and looking at your posts you havnt had one very long what just over 2 months

OO checking up on me :blink: ,ive had it nearly a year i have shot many riffles etc under supervision of people since i was 15 and no iam 32 any way you are boring me so find another post to interfere with :P

OO checking up on me :blink: ,ive had it nearly a year i have shot many riffles etc under supervision of people since i was 15 and no iam 32 any way you are boring me so find another post to interfere with :P

always do the homework son,its a shame you didnt when you got your first "real gun" seems you need a lot more supervison or a baby sitter ,taking shots like you have and not even knowing the distance

I know its all exciting to shoot your first fox,but think what your doing next time

theres a good lad

Reegy this forum is full of members who know naff all about hunting shooting and the members who do know stuff get flamed down or even worst banished.

ATB Campion

Reegy this forum is full of members who know naff all about hunting shooting and the members who do know stuff get flamed down or even worst banished.

ATB Campion

i disagree, there have been several posts already on this very thread by people far more experienced than this guy, ok it gets a bit bitchy but hey ho that's the way it goes when an inexperienced shot posts up this kind of thing, some of us know our onions chap. :good:

Reegy, dont worry about any of the do good jobsworth types.

At the end of the day, you killed the fox, it's dead, and it's a good result.

I liked how some idiot here actually wrote that a 20 grain pill 'would not kill

a fox at 160 yards' DID YOU SEE THE DEAD FOX?

I love these posts, seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Any good rifleman knows what his rifle is capable of, I know, but I study.

I dont just shoot on the weekends at cans in a field, people here can talk

all the balls they want about how many hundreds of foxes they have killed.

Doesnt mean they have done it well, but at the end of the day I dont care.

Anyone who brags like that probably brags the same way about drinking and

bedding girls. Bragging through insecurity and macho male bravado.

Just to keep all the anti's happy, I've got an experiment I might work on.

Two nice big chunks on balistic gel about the same size as a fox abdomen.

A range of 100 yards and a range of 200 yards.

We'll see if the same 'professionals' come back out of the woodwork to

argue when they have some hard evidence to argue against.

Savage HMR - I have some hard evidence - several foxes, boiler room shots at 150, all needed more than one. I gave up with the bloody thing and bought Hornet, which does the job much better.

HMR is a rubbish fox calibre - it's a piddly little popgun and if you want to shoot a decent sized animal at longer ranges you need something decent for the job.

People are going to shoot Charlie with them and at a short range it's fine. Needs to be short because anything much under 1600fps the V-max doesn't expand properly and you get an FMJ. Which as we all know will kill but has a very small margin for error. If you want to test that theory, observe meat damage on body shot rabbits at various ranges. Get much over 120-130 yards and it drops off a LOT.

Do I think it irresponsible to shoot a fox with HMR at 160 yards? Given the right conditions with an experienced shot, no. As a generalisation, yes. Since I wasn't there with the OP I can't comment on that.

But HMR is, was and always will be a **** fox calibre, mainly because it's a RABBIT calibre, as designed by Hornady.

As for Chuck Hawks, ignore all things American. I mean ***, there was one guy on YouTube saying it's the best calibre ever and he wants to shoot deer with it as it's ideal for the job. I know Chuck Hawks isn't that guy, but take with pinch of salt!

Reegy, dont worry about any of the do good jobsworth types.

At the end of the day, you killed the fox, it's dead, and it's a good result.

I liked how some idiot here actually wrote that a 20 grain pill 'would not kill

a fox at 160 yards' DID YOU SEE THE DEAD FOX?

I love these posts, seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Any good rifleman knows what his rifle is capable of, I know, but I study.

I dont just shoot on the weekends at cans in a field, people here can talk

all the balls they want about how many hundreds of foxes they have killed.

Doesnt mean they have done it well, but at the end of the day I dont care.

Anyone who brags like that probably brags the same way about drinking and

bedding girls. Bragging through insecurity and macho male bravado.

Just to keep all the anti's happy, I've got an experiment I might work on.

Two nice big chunks on balistic gel about the same size as a fox abdomen.

A range of 100 yards and a range of 200 yards.

We'll see if the same 'professionals' come back out of the woodwork to

argue when they have some hard evidence to argue against.

There are no 'anti's' mate, just differing opinion, and reading this it kinda makes sense why I'm not 'allowed' to shoot fox with rimfire, I 'have' to use CF, and I choose the .204, bit expensive for saying my bordering police allow .22lr. I'd dread to see a wounded fox, right tool for the job.

I'm not sure how your block of gel resembling a foxes abdomen will help, as we all tend not to shoot animals through the guts, unless you intentionally want to secure a slow, protracted death?

You also say 'you know' but 8 foxes in 3 years (in your sig) doesn't smack me of massive experience mate.

Edited by kyska

Savage HMR - I have some hard evidence - several foxes, boiler room shots at 150, all needed more than one. I gave up with the bloody thing and bought Hornet, which does the job much better.

HMR is a rubbish fox calibre - it's a piddly little popgun and if you want to shoot a decent sized animal at longer ranges you need something decent for the job.

People are going to shoot Charlie with them and at a short range it's fine. Needs to be short because anything much under 1600fps the V-max doesn't expand properly and you get an FMJ. Which as we all know will kill but has a very small margin for error. If you want to test that theory, observe meat damage on body shot rabbits at various ranges. Get much over 120-130 yards and it drops off a LOT.

Do I think it irresponsible to shoot a fox with HMR at 160 yards? Given the right conditions with an experienced shot, no. As a generalisation, yes. Since I wasn't there with the OP I can't comment on that.

But HMR is, was and always will be a **** fox calibre, mainly because it's a RABBIT calibre, as designed by Hornady.

As for Chuck Hawks, ignore all things American. I mean ***, there was one guy on YouTube saying it's the best calibre ever and he wants to shoot deer with it as it's ideal for the job. I know Chuck Hawks isn't that guy, but take with pinch of salt!

Dead right Mr_Logic, I don't see the hmr as anything more than a good long range, very effective rabbit gun, we should appreciate it for that, this bloody round has caused more arguments than the BNP.

Edited by kyska

ATB Campion

That really depends on how those people conduct themselves.

The knowledgable people who go about things in a constructive, helpful manner tend to get the respect they deserve.

Those who are boastful and abbrasive/downright nasty about it are given short shrift.

Funny though, the "banished" martyrs always seem to find their way back, usually to make critical comments about the place. Clearly they need the forum far more than the forum needs them or their "knowledge".

Funny though, the "banished" martyrs always seem to find their way back, usually to make critical comments about the place. Clearly they need the forum far more than the forum needs them or their "knowledge".

:stupid:

Edited by ME

Plain crazy??like i said it was around 160 yards i had no range finder to be exact,i aimed just behind its ear neck area as it was facing side on so was a clean kill why do peopl have to slate most things on this forum :no:

I haven't read through the whole lot so forgive me if this has been covered. What people are getting at is the risk of wounding. Yes this shot went well and well done, but what happens when it doesn't go so well? Nothing deserves to suffer like that and the further you push the range the more likely it is to happen. I wouldn't take that shot with any of my rifles. It's just a long way to hit such a small kill zone. Either shoot them closer in or get something with the power to put them down with a body shot further out. :good:

THE HMR newbies aren't listening NJC it worked so its now recommended practice :oops:

Sadly the same people won't turn up to say when it went wrong and it will do with those shots. They seem to feel victimized by a few people and if you look the few people they are arguing with do seem to be the ones that shoot a fair few foxes, in many case with HMR's when the situation dictates however no where near that range. Yes its a cracking caliber but its no fox gun for much over 100 yards, if you have houses roads etc about it can be very useful but you need a bit of nouse to go with it

thanks for the lesson on how balistics work . off to shot boar with my 22lr now :lol::lol::lol:

i'm no expert bute

but I no what I can and cant do with every rifle I have

and won't do dull shots

Clean Kill is A Must even if it is a pest or vermin :good:

In the right conditions will do some nice long shots with my HMR

on the funny side have you got Boar on your Ticket for 22lr can I ask if I can please

not funny at all when one of them run at you at the speed they do,

done my nut one day Deer shooting and one of them came out of the blue

The first 3 foxes i shot with a hmr were 159,160 and 169 yards...measured and very much witnessed. BUT it wasnt intentional, i just wasnt good at judging distances at night (Im still not!) Shooting off someones shoulder all both foxes were very much single shot to the boiler room and dead on impact, no running or even kicking.

The 160 yard one was shot from the front and when it was picked up to be buried the entire innards sloshed around like water from the energy dissipation......so i dont agree that there isnt enough energy.........what i beleieve is that there is an inconsistancy with the round expanding.

Headshots? I agree with most on here that they are far riskier at that sort of range or indeed any sort of range and i dont tend to do them unless im sub 30 yards in a back garden or other close range work.

Mr Logic I have admitted when I have got shots wrong in the past....could it be that your shot placement wasnt spot on for the ones that needed a second shot?

The Hmr is a fantastic little round and a person new to it will always push the limit to start with, he'll learn.....How many of you ACTUALLY take note of much of what is said on here until something goes wrong and you think "hmmmmm that made sense"

I still shoot the odd fox with the HMR in the field while rabbit shooting, but most of mine are shot using the .222 :yp:

Edited by Evil Elvis

if you have houses roads etc about it can be very useful but you need a bit of nouse to go with it

Everything has a use, you just have to go with experience to tell you what works and what doesn't. From the right people advice on here is as good as experience if only they would listen!

Out of all the guns I've ever had I think I've shot the most Foxes with my .22lr. Most have been cage trapped and a few have just been extremely close (often asleep actually!). For field use over 50 yards though I'll not take the shot with a rimfire and that's why I replaced the HMR with the Hornet. Perhaps I'm just over cautious but with the Hornet I've only had one runner escape on me.

i'm no expert bute

but I no what I can and cant do with every rifle I have

and won't do dull shots

Clean Kill is A Must even if it is a pest or vermin :good:

In the right conditions will do some nice long shots with my HMR

on the funny side have you got Boar on your Ticket for 22lr can I ask if I can please

not funny at all when one of them run at you at the speed they do,

done my nut one day Deer shooting and one of them came out of the blue

you can only get experience from time and many people on here knows what each of there rifles can do . its just advice/experience we are trying to put accross to fellow members which are new to fox control . i have lost count on the foxes i have shot when using 22.250 ranges from 50yrd to 200+ and i have never had a runner yet .if people take offence then sorry ,but we all must take into account a clean kill MUST be optain on every pull of the trigger .after all that is what we are employeed to do or take up as a hobbie either way we all know the difference between what is right and wrong when coming to shot placement when range is a factor. yep boar are quick as hell but with a 308 they are not that quick. :D

thats where things get interesting, I've had two runners with the HMR both with 20 grain bullets and both with tiny entrance and exit wounds. Its a bit like deer if you don't get enough trauma on the way through they can run. In my case my GWP likes foxes and they both stopped just inside the nearest wood and were dead but without her in the summer I doubt I'd have found them.

I've had one with the .223 it had emptied one partridge pen the night before and I caught it at mid day coming out of another. Only shot was a texas heart shot so took it and that also made it into a rape field with half its insides on the floor, again without the hound I would have had a job finding it and knowing it was dead. Basically the point is foxes are hardy creatures and can take a lot to stop them