Ear protection - What do you use and what do you rate ?

As above today walking round Shrugborough I let my curiousity get the better of me and I have to confess to being very poor at using ear protection, I know I risk long term damage that later in life I may regrett so I need to look into something thats not a bank breaker but is going to give me protection and comfort !

So what do you guys use and rate ?

I dont shoot masses but still better not to have regrets later on in life !

One thing I am certain of is Ear defenders / Muff`s are a no no, ive tryed and just cant get on with them or get comfortable with them !

I keep seeing the moulded ones on stands at the shows etc, so today I looked at the cost........... The basic ones were £100 moulded with a sonic valve ! These are what interest me but My dad has a set and recons he struggles with them comfort wise ! So I dont want to spend big money if its common for folk not to get on with these !

An ebay search shows a cheap DIY version of the moulded ones but they have no valve so not sure about these either.

But I need to something before the damage is done !

Hiya

I use the Napier pro 9 and can't recommend them enough. Okay they sit over your head but are a very slim profile and are extremely light. Very cheap too at around £20

Another good alternative which I haven't tried but a guy I know uses them and swears by them are the Sonic 2 ear valves, only cost £15 but even cheaper if you shop around.

Both allow you to hear normal conversation pretty well and then block out gun shots

Cheers hope this helps

Edited by saxosim

These.

http://www.patrolstore.com/n-a-4919.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Shopping-Comparison

Bought mine for £13.00 of another website.

I've found they are very handy, small enough to live in the ash compartment of my car, and soft enough that I get used to them being in my ears for hours on end. The noise reduction is satisfactory, and I can hold quiet conversation within a hide, or hear a bolting rabbit while ferreting etc without difficulty to what I'm trying to listen too.

You can also place the small plugs in the canal, for extra sound protection at the cost of the ability to hear anything.

Don't know if it's a bonus or not, but they are also very good at removing all the ear wax from your ears!

Edited by Bleeh

Hiya

I use the Napier pro 9 and can't recommend them enough. Okay they sit over your head but are a very slim profile and are extremely light. Very cheap too at around £20

Another good alternative which I haven't tried but a guy I know uses them and swears by them are the Sonic 2 ear valves, only cost £15 but even cheaper if you shop around.

Both allow you to hear normal conversation pretty well and then block out gun shots

Cheers hope this helps

Tryed both, didnt get on with either :rolleyes: i found that after you spend a tenner here and tewnty there trying different protection to find out what works for you to try to find something that doesnt irritate or knock the gun when mounting, you might as well have plumped for the expensive option to start with :yes: i had a pair of moulded ones done, as they are moulded to you own ears they fit perfectly so you forget you have them in at all. With the moulded filtered plugs for about £60 you can hear normal conversation and dont need to fiddle or replace them at all. Worth every penny :yes: If in-ear isnt your thing then electronic over ear protectors would be the best if you can afford the extra cost on top of normal passive ones. peltor sportac the best

if the moulded ones are done properly with the ears being cleaned beforehand there shouldnt be a problem. If they are not comfortable take them back get them re-moulded

Edited by spiceychilli57

I had some nice foam ones in a small case ( which I have lost) so stick to Disposable foam in ears now missus has pro 9 s very good and I have over ther ear muffs but knock the stock with them too worried about loosing custom ones but being able to hear people talk would be nice....

Tryed both, didnt get on with either :rolleyes: i found that after you spend a tenner here and tewnty there trying different protection to find out what works for you to try to find something that doesnt irritate or knock the gun when mounting, you might as well have plumped for the expensive option to start with :yes: i had a pair of moulded ones done, as they are moulded to you own ears they fit perfectly so you forget you have them in at all. With the moulded filtered plugs for about £60 you can hear normal conversation and dont need to fiddle or replace them at all. Worth every penny :yes: If in-ear isnt your thing then electronic over ear protectors would be the best if you can afford the extra cost on top of normal passive ones. peltor sportac the best

if the moulded ones are done properly with the ears being cleaned beforehand there shouldnt be a problem. If they are not comfortable take them back get them re-moulded

Hi Where did you hear about the moulded earplugs at £60 ?

I have two pairs of Green Leopard moulded plugs, They are superb.

Get the done by them at a game fair and they do a thorough examination inside your ears and clean them out.

You then have a choice of about 50 colours and mixes. Both my pairs are bright flourescent colours so you can find them easily if you drop them.

I can wear them all day with no discomfort at all. The are the same shape as your ears so they cannot be uncomfortable.

The Green Leopard ones have a soft silicone coating on them which helps no end. The only issue with them is they are too good and you do struggle to hear people talking. The reason for the second pair was to have filters fitted but they don't really make much difference.

Having tinitus is no fun .. you want the highest rating NRR you can get. Now, on a bad day I use muffs (elec) + foam plugs and sometimes the Napier pro10.

The electronics add a mic and speakers to a solid muff ... and cut the mic at 80 db they don't increase the protection level but are 'more convenient to use'.

So what do you want, ... best sound protection: or convenience?

Apparently the 'most damaging noise' is that going down the lug-hole .. other sounds are picked up and transmitted thro' the skull.

Some of the valve plugs have a low protection level - but hey -if your hearing damaged you may not notice.

See what H&S recommend for very noisy environments? Also worth getting an Audiologist check and advice.

When I am on the ranges or zeroing I usually use the cheap disposable plug in the ear type and find these "adequate" and carry a couple of pairs on the dashboard of the 4X4! However, when I am out in the field and only likely to fire one or maybe two shots from my 243 I rarely bother as I like to hear what might be going on araound me such as tractors, quads, horse riders or hikers approaching.

MC your first pair, what are they and roughly what did you pay for them ? And are they solid or are htey with filters ?

:good:

The first pair were solid and they were £45, the second pair I had done with filters as I struggled to hear with the solid ones. They were £65.

There is no discernable difference between the two. They are very good at blocking the noise out completely and IMO well worth the money.

I have two pairs of Green Leopard moulded plugs, They are superb.

Get the done by them at a game fair and they do a thorough examination inside your ears and clean them out.

You then have a choice of about 50 colours and mixes. Both my pairs are bright flourescent colours so you can find them easily if you drop them.

I can wear them all day with no discomfort at all. The are the same shape as your ears so they cannot be uncomfortable.

The Green Leopard ones have a soft silicone coating on them which helps no end. The only issue with them is they are too good and you do struggle to hear people talking. The reason for the second pair was to have filters fitted but they don't really make much difference.

:stupid:

Green leopards - with valves, which I believe are the same valves as used in the Sonic IIs. Brilliant, wear them all day, so comfy you hardly know you have got them in. I got mine at my local gunshop in Cirencester. Use them in the summer when it is too hot to wear my MSA Sordin Pro X muffs - which are the dog's nuts.

cheers,

Noisebreakers with sonic valve - £70 about 2 years ago.

http://www.noisebreaker.com/hearing-protection-for-shooters

Very comfy all day and very effective.

Personally I don't like them for duck flighting or walked up shooting in a line - they cut out too much noise, prefer my over-ear electronic peltor muffs for that but if the choice was Noisebreakers or nothing I would have the plugs in whatever I was doing.

These are the people that did mine

Green Leopard

My first pair are at least 5 years old and are still perfect. If you e mail them they will tell you when they are in your area, they quite often visit shooting grounds and the like. I know they have been to Braintree several times.

Napier's Pro9.

Great for hearing the quiet non-damaging noise, eg traps going off, while filtering the damaging reports.

They don't hurt inner ears like frequent use of internal plugs do.

They don't make you hear your own breathing like regular muffs do - When I wear those I sound like I'm about to have a heart attack and that puts me right off :lol:

A lot of the lads I know on police firearms teams use these....

The other good thing is they keep your moulding for 5 years so if you loose them you can re-order without going through the mouding process again, you just use the specific number you get with them to order more if required.

Regards,

Gixer

A work mate who used to be in the Army as a Artillery Gunner gave me his pair of Army issue ear muffs.

And i got to say if they can protect his ears from the bang off a 150 mil Howitzer, their surely good enough for my 12

out in the field, which they are. I have slight ear damage in left ear from not wearing protection out in the field

and its like a constant high pitched weeing sound. Get those ears protected before you suffer the same fate.

DD