Chokes

Spara Dritto

Anyone know the "sweet point" of Quater and Half chokes in yards? Im guessing quater is roughly 25-30 yards best spread and half is 35 - 40 am i about right? As im struggling with 1/2 and 1/2 at closer distances as the shot hasnt opend up yet. I origanlly used 1/4 and 1/2 and started to get high 30's out of 50 and low 40s out of 50 but changed to 1/2 and 1/2 for the sporting to make it a little harder and my score is now mid 30s and no better. Im going back to teague 1/4 and 1/2 just interested. Also Would you put 1/4 (first shot) in bottom barrel and 1/2 in top? Many thanks.

Hi,

You've been chopping and changing your chokes and it is obvious that you haven't done what you really need to otherwise you could have answered your own question. During all your screwing around, have you ever thought to pattern any of the chokes to see how they're actually performing?

Cheers

as for the patterning, No i havent. Ive spoken to Nigel Teague and found out alot but havent got the land to do it on. Asked the clays course and a couple farmers but all said no. As for sweet spot, sorry i mean, At where the choke has the best killing zone. I wouldnt say Ive been "screwing around with the chokes" I just tried one other variation that for me didnt work as well.

Edited by Beretta Italy

It's unlikely that you're missing because the clays are getting through your pattern, you're just not on them enough. Fit 1/4 or IC and see what happens, probably a few more chippy kills.

Im 99.9% sure they arnt getting through my pattern, Its my rubbish shot with 1/2 choke at the closer stuff no doubt about it! I just wasnt sure what the advised choke is from 25 to 40 yards is, some say cl + Ic, some say ic and mod, others say ic and imp mod. To be fair im pretty lost everything seems to work for everyone!

Edited by Beretta Italy

If you're shooting straight they'll break with any choke as the centre of the pattern is always dense enough. You're not shooting straight enough. The choke isn't the problem. Have a shooting lesson to refine your technique and your scores will go up. Fiddling with the chokes only makes a minor difference but doesn't make up for shooting at clouds not clays!

stick in 1/4 and 1/4 shoot just those for next 3 visits then thank me.1/4 will break any sporting target on any lay out.

Do not think or worry about choke I promise you it is verging on irrelevant for sporting.The problem with multi choke is we all get something else to fiddle with.Digweed shoots full and full because he likes dust,he would hit the same with any choke.The only time I would suggest changing chokes is IF you shoot trap OR live quarry at fuller range or high driven birds when the aim is not to break but to Kill.

Think more about stance/target/smooth swing than worry about 5 thou of constriction!

ATB.

Im 99.9% sure they arnt getting through my pattern, Its my rubbish shot with 1/2 choke at the closer stuff no doubt about it! I just wasnt sure what the advised choke is from 25 to 40 yards is, some say cl + Ic, some say ic and mod, others say ic and imp mod. To be fair im pretty lost everything seems to work for everyone!

There is no discernable difference at close (Under 15 yards) between any choke as the shot hasn't had time to open.

I shoot 3/8 in both barrels and find on close stuff you either miss or annialate them, but you get good long range kills as well.

There is no discernable difference at close (Under 15 yards) between any choke as the shot hasn't had time to open.

I shoot 3/8 in both barrels and find on close stuff you either miss or annialate them, but you get good long range kills as well.

Snap :good: ........

I have shot 1/2 1/2 and 1/4 1/4..... on the very close in stuff as MC said no difference, on the mid range stuff 1/4 allowed me to be sloppy over the 1/2 but never gave me confidence in fantastic kills.

On the far out stuff I hit them with 1/4 but when I was a bit out they were very 'clippy' and I had no idea which way to adjust, where as the 1/2 or 3/8 tend to give you and indication by taking an edge off and you can adjust.

Now just stuck with 3/8 never change seems the best of both worlds to me. :good:

As to which barrel to put the 1/4 and 1/2 in its irrelevant on the sporting course as there is no guarantee the 2nd target will be further away than the first.

But most set it up 1/4 bottom 1/2 top.

Since this is a choke thread i'd be interested to know what people think about using chokes to adjust/compensate for shorter barrels (eg 26" vs 28") when tackling more distant targets, does it work ok?

The length of your barrels will make no difference whatsoever so no need to 'compensate' with choke.

The handling characteristics may differ but ballistically there's no difference.

Guest cookoff013

The length of your barrels will make no difference whatsoever so no need to 'compensate' with choke.

The handling characteristics may differ but ballistically there's no difference.

+1

well done.

i love the sweet fast handling short barreled game guns, they are very lively, with every shot. incomers, away, looper, 1/4-ring.

these 34" barrels would be useless in my hands. on those long sweeping crossers where you have hours to get on the bird, and swing through would be mildly advantageous, but you cant mesure that.

for me, shorter the better.

Regarding which choke to put in which barrel, it is conventionally believed that it is better to fire the bottom barrel first as in theory you should get slightly less muzzle movement under recoil with the bottom barrel.

The Conventional assumption that the nearer shot is going to be the first I think is left over from the days before auto clay traps where incoming or or springing teal shots would require far greater safety arrangements for the manual trapper than for going away shots ( where the trapper would be either level with or behind the shooting line)- hence, with more shots being going away, smaller choke first barrel larger choke second barrel.

Regarding which choke to put in which barrel, it is conventionally believed that it is better to fire the bottom barrel first as in theory you should get slightly less muzzle movement under recoil with the bottom barrel.

The Conventional assumption that the nearer shot is going to be the first I think is left over from the days before auto clay traps where incoming or or springing teal shots would require far greater safety arrangements for the manual trapper than for going away shots ( where the trapper would be either level with or behind the shooting line)- hence, with more shots being going away, smaller choke first barrel larger choke second barrel.

:stupid:

For stands where the opposite is the case, simply set the gun to fire top barrel first. Just remember to reset it for the next stand. When you don't, as will happen, you'll be surprised at how many birds you still hit even though using the "wrong" choke which must prove something!

I have shot many comps where both clays are far out or both close in. On a modern sporting course there is no standard target set up. 1/4 will hit any clay I have seen on a normal course but I have more confidence in 3/8 at longer range and they will do the job close in as long as I am not sloppy.

It's all about which set up gives you confidence. Go Into a stand thinking a certain choke will not do then don't be surprised when you miss.

That's why quite a lot shoot with the same choke in both barrels it just removes one more thing from the thought process.

I have shot many comps where both clays are far out or both close in. On a modern sporting course there is no standard target set up. 1/4 will hit any clay I have seen on a normal course but I have more confidence in 3/8 at longer range and they will do the job close in as long as I am not sloppy.

It's all about which set up gives you confidence. Go Into a stand thinking a certain choke will not do then don't be surprised when you miss.

That's why quite a lot shoot with the same choke in both barrels it just removes one more thing from the thought process.

I bought a 3/8 Optima choke from Anni today, so you are totally ******. :P

I expect me scores will now increase by AT LEAST 50%

El Magnifico. AA Class beckons :sly:

I bought a 3/8 Optima choke from Anni today, so you are totally ******. :P

I expect me scores will now increase by AT LEAST 50%

El Magnifico. AA Class beckons :sly:

I have see Anni shoot his chokes are all bent.

50% you say .......so youre hoping to make it into the seventies then. :)