Pay to Shoot vermin

ellebarto

My permissions have been coming up badly short of late and me and my brother are desperate for some half decent shooting. I started to look around for more permissions and came across a variety of people offerring days shooting pigeon for a fee.

Has anyone ever done this and had any good results? I know its not guranteed but when your permission isnt working out and you fancy a day somewhere else is this a good alternative? Actually, anyone in the Cheshire area do this and fancy selling me a day? I guess if its over some half decent pigeon fodder crops it helps! Mine is all rape and they just dont seem interested!

i wouldnt like to pay for a day unless i knew full well that the guide was a good un.

i know of 1 guide that i would maybe consider going with if i was desperate but thats it

i wouldnt like to start paying for pigeon shooting all the time, more likely to loose what free shooting we have if we all start paying people to take us out

i would just go door knocking and try get more permissions that way

i wouldnt like to pay for a day unless i knew full well that the guide was a good un.

i know of 1 guide that i would maybe consider going with if i was desperate but thats it

i wouldnt like to start paying for pigeon shooting all the time, more likely to loose what free shooting we have if we all start paying people to take us out

i would just go door knocking and try get more permissions that way

I know what your saying and I kind of agree but when your coming up short and its your favourite pass time your kind of willing to do a bit more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about paying every weekend through summer but when the pickings are thin I desperately need a good day!

I can remember when my one and only shoot was dry of birds so know how you feel, had a days paid shooting as your thinking and fired one shot after a 160 mile round trip <_<

Eventualy tracked down and managed to get into a local pigeon club which i still belong to.

Check with BASC and see if there are any clubs local to you, door knock or get yourself about to clay grounds , farmers locals etc and try to make contacts, I agree that it could set a trend for paying to shoot pigeons if we are to willing to cough up cash, but if you do wish to pay make sure its with a reputable guide.

I've paid for a days pigeon shooting twice. Both times were pretty poor, the last time two of us shot both the birds that came into the pattern all day! Not too much plucking after that!!

I know nobody can guarantee sport, but it seems to me that they should put you off coming if there aren't many birds about and the prospects are low. I would go to the same guy again, as he'd got plenty of land and I'm sure we could have a great day under better conditions. Trouble is, living in the metropolis it's not easy to keep an eye on the fields to see when there's a good chance of a decent day, but then that's what you're supposed to pay the guide for!

Personally I'd never pay to shoot vermin. You're doing the farmer a favour at your own cost. Leave the vermin alone for a while and they'd not be too long getting on the phone crying about their crops. How can you charge someone to come on to your land to shoot pigeons? What happens if the police question what you're at? I'm just paying to shoot some vermin. Oh really. So you're shooting out of pure enjoyment as opposed to crop protection then? Ummmm..... Conflicts with the terms and conditions of your certificate does it not?

Edited by Dancake

Personally I'd never pay to shoot vermin. You're doing the farmer a favour at your own cost. Leave the vermin alone for a while and they'd not be too long getting on the phone crying about their crops. How can you charge someone to come on to your land to shoot pigeons? What happens if the police question what you're at? I'm just paying to shoot some vermin. Oh really. So you're shooting out of pure enjoyment as opposed to crop protection then? Ummmm..... Conflicts with the terms and conditions of your certificate does it not?

no it doesnt

people pay because farmers are realising an easy way to make a quick quid is to sell pigeon shooting

plenty of people with deep pockets are greedy and pay for sole shooting rights of vermin/pests

personally i dont blame the farmers for charging

in some respect

they are getting abit of money back to pay for what damage the pigeons have done and they are also getting someone to shoot the pigeons

win win for the farmers

Edited by TJ91

I know what your saying but that interpretation is unlikely to be enforced or even taken. I mean there are a lot of people freely advertising it and there are clubs devoted to it. I mean your also unlikely to claim your shooting to help the farmer and you dont enjoy it! Paying to shoot isnt a term of a licence at all.

Ah you greedy ******* who obviously have plenty of birds!!! You can afford to poor scorn on a poor towny trying to have some fun!

no it doesnt

people pay because farmers are realising an easy way to make a quick quid is to sell pigeon shooting

plenty of people with deep pockets are greedy and pay for sole shooting rights of vermin/pests

personally i dont blame the farmers for charging

in some respect

they are getting abit of money back to pay for what damage the pigeons have done and they are also getting someone to shoot the pigeons

win win for the farmers

Which were my thoughts. Ive lost track of the number of farmers who tell me the rights are sown up but then they never see the shooters on there, or at least I dont! In the cheshire area at least its a struggle and rights are kept in families for years and its very difficult to break in. My existing permission is because a mate did me a big favour and leavered me in

My permissions have been coming up badly short of late and me and my brother are desperate for some half decent shooting. I started to look around for more permissions and came across a variety of people offerring days shooting pigeon for a fee.

Has anyone ever done this and had any good results? I know its not guranteed but when your permission isnt working out and you fancy a day somewhere else is this a good alternative? Actually, anyone in the Cheshire area do this and fancy selling me a day? I guess if its over some half decent pigeon fodder crops it helps! Mine is all rape and they just dont seem interested!

Pm me if you want a number for a guide in cheshire ,he is a good chap and has plenty of land and pigeons he will see you right :good:

Which were my thoughts. Ive lost track of the number of farmers who tell me the rights are sown up but then they never see the shooters on there, or at least I dont!

tell me about we lost a lot of shooting round cheshire with the very same thing, but if we would have got the chance we would of bought the rights ourselves,its a catch 22 don,t pay and lose it or pay and keep it choice is yours

There is a lot of difference in buying a days shooting with a Guide and just giving someone some money to go on their land and shoot pigeons.

A days shooting with a good Guide can be quite an experience and we have had lots of reports of great days out, some Guides work really hard.

If you want to give a landowner, or whoever controls the shooting, a sum of money and I have heard of everything between £20 and £100 just to go on the land , set yourself up and shoot pigeons , then thats your choice, but with no prior reconnaissance or knowledge of the area you are unlikely to have a great deal of success.

The first option of a day with a good Guide I would recommend, but the second option is not one I would gamble on.

its easy for people to say i wouldnt pay for shooting vermin when they already have permissions, but if they lost it would they change ther minds? As we all know it aint easy getting permission in the first place, imagine having to start all over again knocking on doors :blush: If people want to join clubs or pay one way or the other for shooting good for them at least there getting out there :good:

I think its a good idea to pay for shooting,whats the going day rate at the moment.

with a guide its normally around £75 for a diy day and between £130 to £150 for fully guided day.for pigeons and its gone up to £300 per day for driven pheasants which i wont pay for and can;t afford to either.

but to buy the rights on a farm for a year can be anything from £200 to £2000 depending how much land and what you want to do ie put pheasants ducks parts on the land for a syndicate or pigeon shooting for 2 or 3 guns.we have never had to pay for land in 25 years but lost that much land to guys buying the rights its made us think differently about it and we now have been forced to start paying if we want to carry on shooting pigeons and game or pack in and just shoot clays which is ok but enjoy pigeon shooting so much we are prepared to pay for it not silly amounts i may add but reasonable amounts and if its shared between a few of yer its not to bad.

If you're struggling to find land it's always worth having a look at your local wildfowling club.

Quite a few have pigeon shooting as well as 'fowling.

Although you pay for membership (so are paying to shoot) it's a whole lot cheaper than guided days etc.

My club have 11 marshes for 'fowling in season and about a dozen farms for pigeon shooting all year round. All for about £2.50 a week :good:

Do you know what would make it easier is if some of the people who have permissions were less protective about it. I mean near me there are acres and acres sown up to the same people and I very rarely see them on it. I know land is hard to get and you have to be a bit protective but you would have thought a good shooter would at least let someone lend a permission for a day if only to service the farmers needs better. How much land can one bloke shoot! You cant be on all land every day!

How many of you gyts have acres that you rarely get to?

only have land that either me or me dad can get to he can shoot in the week me at weekends.

at the moment most days i can get out if needs be.

but i do know were your coming from, i said in a previous post we had a lot of land as perms round northwich, middlewich areas but syndicates took over the land and only shoot driven game in season, and nobody to be seen when pigeons are on there.. land that we used to shoot so know how frustrating it is.

I had no idea of how expensive it could be. I guess what I had in mind was more of 'hey mate, if I bung you £20 can I shoot on your permission at the weekend'

I mean I'm a fairly experienced shooter. 10 to 1 even an experienced guide wouldnt set up how I like and I dont need someone looking over my shoulder especially if I have a cows **** with a banjo day!!!! Wishful thinking I guess!!

I think I'd happily rec my own shoot and slip someone a few quid just for a day at my own risk!

Do you know what would make it easier is if some of the people who have permissions were less protective about it. I mean near me there are acres and acres sown up to the same people and I very rarely see them on it. I know land is hard to get and you have to be a bit protective but you would have thought a good shooter would at least let someone lend a permission for a day if only to service the farmers needs better. How much land can one bloke shoot! You cant be on all land every day!

How many of you gyts have acres that you rarely get to?

I get to my land as and when I can. I have a few smaller plots (riding stables mainly) that I may only get to a few times a year. In the 3 years Ive shot these riding schools not 1 other shooter has knocked on the door asking if they can shoot them. We are all in the same boat we spend alot of money driving around looking for permission so when we do get some (which isn't as often as we would all like) we will do our upmost to protect it.