Safest way to carry a semi-auto?

FreeZey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my gun is not in a slip its held with barrel facing upwards held aqgainst my shoulder, with the breach facing forward so every one can see that its not cocked. Some grounds may have a rule that you must use a safety flag when carrying the gun between stands or not in the cage shooting.

On the safety flag point I have both the standard flag which has a streamer attached to a plastic plug that fits in the chamber / barrel and the saf t plug which I find a lot clearer and better.

If my gun is not in a slip its held with barrel facing upwards held aqgainst my shoulder, with the breach facing forward so every one can see that its not cocked. Some grounds may have a rule that you must use a safety flag when carrying the gun between stands or not in the cage shooting.

On the safety flag point I have both the standard flag which has a streamer attached to a plastic plug that fits in the chamber / barrel and the saf t plug which I find a lot clearer and better.

same as above

colin

I always check it's clear,then carry it how I want to,semi's aren't dangerous,you check them then they are safe,but normally one handed around the action barrel down.when approaching stand barrel pointing up held around action(so finger not near trigger),People with O/U walk around with them broken then approach the gun rack,shut them and virtually twirl them to sit them down,then pick them up and swing the barrel down,then break it,just as unsettling IMO.

In a slip in between stands, with a safety plug/flag inserted.

O/U's should also be carried in a slip between stands, and kept in a slip on the gun stands.

This may seem over the top, but better to be too safe than not safe.

Also by keeping guns in slips in prevents accidental damage by those less careful than one self and also from falling clay shards.

Edited by bakerboy

Keep mine slipped between stands, saves anyone getting excited :rolleyes:

If Im at my local straw bailer, I carry it, bolt locked in the open position and clearly visible to others.

Muzzle pointing down (IF the worst should happen, Id rather loose a few toes than my head :look: )

I recently attended a safety course where there were only semiautos (multi shot). We were told the safest way, and only way (when in one of their comps/matches) was to have the barrels pointing down at all times between stands. Also, when removing from the slip - actually saying out loud something like "chamber is empty and safety is applied"

I used to carry mine in a slip, then be very muzzle aware when taking it out, I tend to carry guns in a slip muzzle down, if they are carried muzzle up and the zip brakes...crunch.

O/U's should be opened as you take them out of a slip.

It's good to be seen to be safe whatever type of gun you use.

He is referring to how to carry in the field, not at a clay ground.

My own choice varies depending on what I am doing. Walking from the car to where I intend to start is always in the slip. After that, if I am walking with no expectation of an imminent shot then I carry barrel up rested on my shoulder, sometimes on a sling. If I am expecting something to bolt or take off then it is in both hands in the appropriate ready position.

Point your barrel down and there's every chance it will end up pointing at someones knees.

I can't understand why there has to be such a big fuss about this issue.

Sling on, pointing skywards, anything else is just pointless window dressing.

Point a barrel up and theres every chance it will end up pointing at someones head :blink:

No one is making a fuss, just answering a question with their views.

Not everyone has or wants a window dressing sling.

He is referring to how to carry in the field, not at a clay ground.

He never actually stated clay ground or field, so how do you know :hmm:

We assumed clay ground because he said '' with a semi do people advise keeping it in a sleeve until you need it?''

Your hardly going to walk around the field with it in a slip, by the time you get it out and loaded, the target would be long gone :lol:

Point a barrel up and theres every chance it will end up pointing at someones head :blink:

No there isn't, the only place it could shoot is into clear blue sky :yes:

No one is making a fuss, just answering a question with their views.

Yes, but sometimes things are made overcomplicated. We don't need grand mission statements or traffic cones every time we stop or start shooting :lol:

Not everyone has or wants a window dressing sling.

Then keep it in a bag over your shoulder instead, not pointing at my knees :blink:

Pointing a muzzle at the ground, the shot will go strait into the floor.

You cannot guarantee which way an ND will go, straight into the ground is better than somewere into the air :blink:

There's the answer to the question then, keep it slipped between stands :yes: (which inevitably means the muzzle will be pointing down)

Edited by chrispti

Pointing a muzzle at the ground, the shot will go strait into the floor.

You cannot guarantee which way an ND will go, strait into the ground is better the somewere into the air :blink:

There's the answer to the question then, keep it slipped between stands :yes: (which inevitably means the muzzle will be pointing down)

Why is a gun firing into the air dangerous :hmm:

Bag or sling, both would be considered to be safe. No need to over do it though.

Why is a gun firing into the air dangerous :hmm:

Bag or sling, both would be considered to be safe. No need to over do it though.

They are considered safe. I personally think there are too many 'cons' as opposed to 'pros', against using a sling.

Carrying an auto under my arm, the gun is under control and the muzzle is pointing at the ground about 6'' in front of my feet, (no whee near anyone's knees) and I can see it at all times.

On a sling, muzzle pointing up, the gun is not under control and you cannot see exactly where the muzzle is pointing. As far as you know, you THINK the muzzle is pointing straight up.

There's a good chance the muzzle is pointing at the back of your head or slightly away from you, and pointing backwards (towards the man behind you), you will never know because you cannot see it.

Say if you where to fall over, flat on your face, after the gun hits you in the back of your head, the muzzle could then be pointing into the back of your head, or, at someone else.

If you were to trip over carrying it under your arm, all you will do is dig the barrel into the ground, a pain in the ***, but the safest option.

People dont think accidents happen, a man ND'd with an auto at a clay ground local to me not to long ago, :oops: luckily none was hurt.

Personally do not shoot semis.

I prefer when not in a slip to see them shouldered and barrels up with a flag in.I was always taught ''be the safest person all the time'',and be seen to be the safest.I think this especially applies to Semis for the very obvious reason that because they are not as easy to be demonstrably safe,the carrier needs to make every effort to make all around them feel safe.To me thats in a slip,when not then shouldered/barrels up and flagged.