Looking for first 4x4

APPLE

Hi all iam starting to look for my first 4x4 don't no where to start,always fancied one but I've always had to use my car for work and would of cost a fortune,but now I don't .so any ideas where to start cheers maxi

The answers will all depend on what you require from your 4x4, driving to your permissions, driving round your permissions rough ground how many miles you plan on doing and most of all budget. You could get yourself a Defender or a little Suzuki either will do the job but some better than others.

Dont dismiss Jeeps! Cherokee or Grand Cherokees lot of vehicle for your money. Biggest down side is very high Fuel consumption. They are more than capable off-road too.

I no somebody with a Cherokee lot of jeep for your money but his is a 4.0 petrol argh very high prices lol

I'll be using it to drive around shoots as well as day to day use don't do many miles

Now then Maxi, whats your budget?

Run an Isuzu Trooper myself, well built and good off road. Disco's are well equipped, what ever you decide on ask about as they all have pit falls and everyone has there own opinion. Im sure that there will be plenty of people shouting out that it has to be a landy!

Paul

I no somebody with a Cherokee lot of jeep for your money but his is a 4.0 petrol argh very high prices lol

I'll be using it to drive around shoots as well as day to day use don't do many miles

I was in the middle of writing a reply in favour of the my 4.7L V8 LPG Grand cherokee but i done the figures and all i can say is i agree with you ARGGGHHHHHH! No wonder i am poor...

Hi all iam starting to look for my first 4x4 don't no where to start,always fancied one but I've always had to use my car for work and would of cost a fortune,but now I don't .so any ideas where to start cheers maxi

depending how many miles you do have a look at Isuzu troopers, daihatsu fourtraks and discoveries. all will do close to 30mpg. All have issues with rust so buy carefully its better to buy on service history and condition than on pure recommendation. Personally I tend to go Jap as I prefer driving it and shooting to laying under it ;)

Mitsubishi pajero or hilux surf give lots of car for your money. Depending on your budget you could get a jap double cab. Once you have a truck you will never look back! Really handy. Thirsty but good value Mitsubishi l200, or toyota hilux d4d are great on fuel go anywhere. Landys are great my defender would go anywhere... When it was running!!! Good luck atb Dave

had a suzuki vitara 1.6 petrol and was excellent used it as a day to day vehicle as well as a lamping beast and it was great went everywhere with it allover the country london, bridlington, mablethrope. it was excellent it wasnt one of thoes defender that i thought ok ive got a 200 mile round trip what spare and tools shall i take just incase it brakes down (sorry i mean when it brakes down). everyday the car started first time everytime and by god it took some hammer over the fields and up hills and through deep mud and never EVER got stuck. I put some Kumho KL71 Mud Terrain tyres on it cost £250.00 fitted and the car just got better. the back seats folded right up to the front seats so the boot was alot bigger, i used to put a big plastic box in the back and throw the bunnies in that. I Recently sold it with 6 months tax and 12 months M.O.T. for £450.00 so someone got a bargain. If i was to get another 4x4 it would definately be another Vitara. BEST 4X4 EVER. Quite good on fuel if you drive it nicely.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX on a 54 plate and it was bloody brilliant. Everyone used to take the mick out of it but it was great in the snow, mud, ice and rain. I sold it because we were running two cars and couldnt justify the expense. HUGE mistake last winter. My Volvo S60 was worse than useless in the snow. I am now looking at getting rid of the Volvo and buying a 4 x 4 but have no idea what to get. I want a family size vehicle with a 2 L Diesel for less than 10 grand with average mileage. If they did a larger version of the Jimny I would snap one up straight away. I have no idea what to buy but if the Jimny size is OK for you then get one. You wont regret it. :D

APPLE, don't listen to the bad people who will lead you astray and want you to buy a Japanese Rice burner. :P

And beware of the hair dressers who drive Suzuki's. :lol:

Come over to the Dark side, Land Rover is your future :good:

post-21697-0-00036900-1304450549.jpg

Here we go ..............

APPLE, don't listen to the bad people who will lead you astray and want you to buy a Japanese Rice burner. :P

And beware of the hair dressers who drive Suzuki's. :lol:

Come over to the Dark side, Land Rover is your future :good:

post-21697-0-00036900-1304450549.jpg

Here we go ..............

Looks a nice motor mate :yes:

Is she stuck or broken down :hmm:

:P

I have a jimny with mahoosive mud tyres fitted that I use for shooting :good:

I`ve just bought a shogun sport warrior 2.5td as an everyday runabout :yes:

The wife expected me to get rid of the jimny when I bought the shogun :rolleyes:but that`s not happening :P

The jimny Is ideal for shooting as It`s so light It doesn`t get bogged down In fields and with the back seats removed there Is plenty of room for all your gear.

• 3 weeks later...

My trooper may be for sale in a month or so, or did you get sorted?

was thinking of getting rid of my Pejero, she has been a great road car plus great around the permission

thinking about getting a jimny for the wife and a quad for me,

that choice is strickly down to fuel prices :blink: and not hairdressing :lol:

great answer Chrispti :lol::lol::lol: