Hay bale shoots vs registered

bop

Registered shoots are generally harder than strawbale shoots and that doesn't just mean target distance. A clever course setter will use the type of clay,angles,height,speed and terrain to present different types of target.

Strawbale shoots are usually easier because they cater for shooters of a lesser ability and are usually set up so everyone enjoys themselves.You go clay shooting to hit clays,not to miss them.

On the other hand I have been to strawbale shoots where the targets are ridiculously hard and put on by people who have no idea about clay shooting.The organisers seem to think that the targets should be 70yds away and going like the clappers.These are often set up as charity fund raisers and they would make far money if the targets were hittable because they would get more repeat entries.

Vic.

Edited by VicW

non- registered tend to be button yourself and I have found you can make them easier of harder just by playing with which target is sent first or firing them simo instead of on report. Registered you have to shoot them as the target setter lays them out and they do tend to be a bit stiffer.

Distance is not always an indicator of difficulty, the close ones can be tough too if the course setter is any good :good:

Fuzrat

Just a quick thought, my local haybaler is run by a chap who is a CPSA coach at a well known local shooting ground, who have regular registered shoots which he helps sets the targets for. The sunday shoot at the haybaler is very well run and set out, and provides good shooting to a wide range of shooters.

I agree that registered shoots are generally more difficult, but i would say the haybaler was the better of the two :good:

There's a very definite place for well run haybalers.They can provide good,safe,entertaining and reasonably priced clay shooting the last of which is very welcome in todays financial climate.

I help out at two small clay shoots that use wireless controlled auto traps,have metal mobile cages,small towers,platforms,safety officers and first aiders. The sporting layouts change every shoot.

I think it is very sad that some clay shooters who have progressed to only shoot competition and registered shoots now look down their noses at haybalers.They probably started clay shooting at a haybaler and have chosen to forget their roots.

Vic.

There's a very definite place for well run haybalers.They can provide good,safe,entertaining and reasonably priced clay shooting the last of which is very welcome in todays financial climate.

I help out at two small clay shoots that use wireless controlled auto traps,have metal mobile cages,small towers,platforms,safety officers and first aiders. The sporting layouts change every shoot.

I think it is very sad that some clay shooters who have progressed to only shoot competition and registered shoots now look down their noses at haybalers.They probably started clay shooting at a haybaler and have chosen to forget their roots.

Vic.

The shoot I go to is run along the same lines. I leave my standard game chokes (1/4&1/2) in, use fibre wad English Sporter 71/2 and it's great to keep my eye in.

There are no registered ESP competitions in Essex but the local haybales are well run, well organised and well attended / supported.

I would say that the main difference is actually that it's rare to get a decent (hard) battue at a haybale!

The CPSA is dead, burried and demonstrably pointless and I think everyone knows it. It can't be hard to form a competing national clay organisation that can erm "keep track of peoples' scores". You wouldn't have thought it that difficult to get right most of the time....

There are no registered ESP competitions in Essex but the local haybales are well run, well organised and well attended / supported.

I would say that the main difference is actually that it's rare to get a decent (hard) battue at a haybale!

The CPSA is dead, burried and demonstrably pointless and I think everyone knows it. It can't be hard to form a competing national clay organisation that can erm "keep track of peoples' scores". You wouldn't have thought it that difficult to get right most of the time....

Well, there speaks the voice of experience, how long were you a member of the CPSA, 18 months, 2 years perhaps..??, the reality is you don't know didly squat about the CPSA or the way it's run. :yes:

There are in fact now regular Registered ESP competitions in Essex, just turn up at Hepworth Hall on 23 or 24 April to shoot the Essex & Herts County Championship, non CPSA members can also shoot it upon payment of an additional £3.50 "Day Pass", or, better still, become a full member and strive to actually achieve something in the sport, shoot for your County, Region, or perhaps even your Country, there can be no finer achievement in my book. :good:

Cat.

Groundhog day?

I think it's wrong to think of every non reg ground as "hay bale" there are clay grounds that don't hold competitions that are well run and that dirty word profitable.... without being CPSA affiliated. I do hope one day to be good enough to score as well or better than the County shooters.

Is anyone else looking forward to the reprise of A well known thread topic? :hmm::whistling:

in the red corner "The essex hay baler" Mungler renowned for not liking the CPSA or registered shoots

in the blue corner "The CPSA fanclub " Catamong who believes that CPSA membershiip should be compulsory and shoots should be registered.

settle down get your popcorn, watch the totty parrade round the ring with a scorecard- secconds out round 1!

A haybaler is a less than flattering term for a casual clay pigeon set up,traditionally on a farm,a few mates and literally hale bales showing you where to shoot from. Registered means registered with the CPSA(Clay pigeon shooting association)and is usually the larger claygrounds who run regular competitions.You have to a member of CPSA to have your scores counted/recorded by CPSA who then publish scores,allocate classes etc.

If you wanted to shoot representative Clay competitions you have to be registered with CPSA who run/do selection etc..

There are good 'Haybalers' and less good ones.They are usually small local clubs,less formal more for the fun than the registered shoots,which almost by definition are more competitive/serious.

Hope this answers your question.

ATB.

what is the cpsa? Sorry, i meant what does the cpsa do? is it worth me joining? there seems to be a difference of opinion.

If you want to shoot registered competitions you have to be a member of the CPSA.

If you're happy at your local 'haybaler' type shoot, there's no point in joining.

You really should have some form of insurance however, which the CPSA and others provide. But that's another topic altogether!!

There also are the ones that sit squarely in the middle, the semi-permanent shooting grounds run on either a commercial or 'club' basis, whilst not being registered with the CPSA they are certainly a cut above the 'hay' (or even straw) bale shoot status.

Indeed Thats the type i shoot most frequently...