How often do you clean your gun?

FreeZey

I'm guessing most people do it every x number of shots fired. Like after a 1000 cartridges. Or is it when you notice a change in the performance of the gun?

For people with semi-autos how often do you clean and oil the mechanism? So far I've only seen a few videos demonstrating barrel cleaning.

With my shotguns i clean them properly every fourth outing, just boresnake them otherwise to get the thick stuff out of the barrel. My semi is a Benelli so i don't have to worry about a fouled gas system stopping it working :good:

With my rifles it depends on how many rounds i put through them and how long it will be until the next outing. I try to stay on top of the cleaning of my .22 semi as it starts to gunk up after 5-600rds so i clean that every other time it goes to the range.

This can be a bit of a can o' worms topic so i think i'll immediately Stop Watching it! :lol:

Mark

Shotgun gets COMPLETELY stripped & cleaned whenever it is used (mirror finish in barrels) and then everything gets a light coat of oil. takes about 2 hours but in reality, I only use her a couple of times a month. If she was out every week I would change my regime and just use a bore snake most of the time.

Rifles... my big boy tactical target jobby .308 gets a thorough strip down & clean every 1-200 rounds (read once a month) and the barrel re-moly'd. My hunting rifle gets just a pull through with a bore snake. She has been cleaned once since new a year ago. it took 10 foulers through her after the clean to get her shooting where I was pointing. If I cleaned her every use, I'd have to waste loads of ammo just getting the zero back for one shot..... so it's easier not to bother... I don't leave oil in the barrels either! never had a problem with rust, my guns all live in a cabinet with Napier VP10 sachets and a big 'dry-zone' dessicant thing to keet the air moisture free in there!

Edited by Vipa

Shotguns = every time they go out inc my mossburg pump !

Rimmi and FAC Air - never cleaned the inner of the barrel or the mod but externally a wipe over with a oily reg and wnad wood wipped ever time it comes back in from a outing.

Try cleaning your mods, esp on the 17 - you be amazed how much crud there is in there!

Shotguns - every time I use it before it goes away, clean barrel, oily rag wipe down and check lubrication of moving parts, oiling as necessary - never too much.

Rimfire - every few hundred rounds clean barrel and as above really. Wipe down after every use though. I only use lead bullets so no copper fouling.

Air rifle - oily rag wipe down after each use, clean barrel every 500 shots (not always though) or if accuracy suffers. Again, I check lubrication of moving parts but rarely have to add a drop.

Thanks for all the responses, looks like I will be picking up a cleaning kit on the way home from TreeTops today :)

From what I can gather it's worth me cleaning the barrel after every session but the bolt and trigger assembly require less maintenance.

Well all of my O/U's get cleaned every 10ish heavy cart's or after a day on the clays.

My semi on the other hand i try and keep it clean, so it gets cleaned quite often, so it'll keep running as smooth as clock work :good: :good: :good: .

P.S. Haven't put many heavy loads through the semi yet, so then i'll see how often it'll need to be cleaned after running a few through it ;) ;) ;)

Clean regrease and oil my shotgun after every use, sometimes if I haven't used it for a while I'll do it again just because I enjoy it!

The rimfire and air rifle get a wipe over with a lightly oiled rag every time they are used and a bore clean every 500+ rounds or so.