Home Made Moderator

ellebarto

I was shooting at the range last night zeroing a .22 Ruger using subs and a wildcat moderator. It was fairly quiet as you would expect.

The guy next to me rolls up with what looked like a scabby bit of pipe on the end of his gun and I couldnt believe how quiet it was. There was a faint click of the hammer and that was it. Half the noise of my moderator and then when I looked again I could see he was using standard velocity CCI's as well.

I had a quick chat with him and it turns out he makes his own mods from brass tube and claims its good for 50 shots then needs soaking in solvent before you use it again. The moderator was about 2 thirds the diameter of a SAK or my wildcat. It looked pretty scabby but the results were amazing!

I've asked him to make one for me and also think about something for my .17 HMR. Anyone got any expereience of homemade mods? Without doubt the quietest .22 moderator Ive ever heard! I dont hold out for as good results for the HMR but anything to subdue that crack would be good!

There is a limit to the usefulness (For pest control) to the sound reduction of a moderator. After a certain point, the 'Thud' of a bullet striking home will be as loud as the shot, so trying to reduce the sound of the shot more so is pretty impractical.

There's also a weight/size issue. I've fired some home-brew mods, and the results have been extremely impressive, but they always seem to be totally over built, over sized and far to heavy. I can't speak for anything other than the .22lr, but I think I'll stick to my £30 Parker hale mod for now.

You'll also never 'Subdue' the crack on the 17hmr. The 'Crack' is the sound of the bullet going super-sonic (sonic boom) and will not be effected by a Moderator as it happens outside the barrel.

Edited by Bleeh

I was shooting at the range last night zeroing a .22 Ruger using subs and a wildcat moderator. It was fairly quiet as you would expect.

The guy next to me rolls up with what looked like a scabby bit of pipe on the end of his gun and I couldnt believe how quiet it was. There was a faint click of the hammer and that was it. Half the noise of my moderator and then when I looked again I could see he was using standard velocity CCI's as well.

I had a quick chat with him and it turns out he makes his own mods from brass tube and claims its good for 50 shots then needs soaking in solvent before you use it again. The moderator was about 2 thirds the diameter of a SAK or my wildcat. It looked pretty scabby but the results were amazing!

I've asked him to make one for me and also think about something for my .17 HMR. Anyone got any expereience of homemade mods? Without doubt the quietest .22 moderator Ive ever heard! I dont hold out for as good results for the HMR but anything to subdue that crack would be good!

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Standard velocity is Supersonic, I have NEVER heard of any mod that can bring down a supersonic round quieter than a sub sonic round, and HALF the noise of your moderator? Sorry but I don't buy it!:no::no::no:

Apart from the higher pressure just how did he manage to stop the sonic boom!?

Sorry you may have misunderstood! I'm talking .22. He was shooting standard CCI and I was shooting Winchester subs. His homemade and far smaller moderator was massively quieter than me shooting subs.

He suggested he could make me a .22 mod and a .17 HMR mod. The .22 I've seen an heard personally. The .17 HMR, as people have said, I don't think he can do anything with and he hasn't tried to do yet!

Sorry you may have misunderstood! I'm talking .22. He was shooting standard CCI and I was shooting Winchester subs. His homemade and far smaller moderator was massively quieter than me shooting subs.

He suggested he could make me a .22 mod and a .17 HMR mod. The .22 I've seen an heard personally. The .17 HMR, as people have said, I don't think he can do anything with and he hasn't tried to do yet!

If by any chance I was confused before I am more so now? :hmm:

What .22, and you said you had a Wildcat on yours...... "I was shooting at the range last night zeroing a .22 Ruger using subs and a wildcat moderator. It was fairly quiet as you would expect."

Like I said.... "Standard velocity is Supersonic, I have NEVER heard of any mod that can bring down a supersonic round quieter than a sub sonic round, and HALF the noise of your moderator? Sorry but I don't buy it!

Apart from the higher pressure just how did he manage to stop the sonic boom!?"

Can you use smaller words to explain, I am lost somehwere, put it down to old age and a hard day..and I'm just going out to work again! :good:

Lol. No sounds like we are talking about the same thing! I'll try an do I recording next week. It wasn't even a question of 'is that a bit quieter' it was massively quieter. So much so the whole range stopped to take a look!

Standard velocity CCI's quieter than subs through my gun!

I was there mate an even loaded and used the gun myself!

A moderator is easy enough to make if you have access to a lathe, making a small one quiet is a bit more tricky, otherwise all the manufacturers would be doing it.

I saw mention of dipping this mod in solvent after 50 shots and the clue might lie here.

As well as bouncing the bang around through baffles to split it up a bit, an important function is to cool the gases down to reduce their volume.

Adding a liquid to the moderator helps a lot in cooling the gases, special forces use mods filled with gel or grease. I doubt this is very practical for a sporting rifle, and how he slowed the bullet to subsonic speeds is a mystery.

I think you should let him make you one, you could be the next Dyson :lol:

Dangerous is the word that springs to mind!!!

A mod that failed will just split and release the pressure. You would need a lot more than a .22 to do this. To have a dangerous failure would take some size calibre.

A moderator is easy enough to make if you have access to a lathe, making a small one quiet is a bit more tricky, otherwise all the manufacturers would be doing it.

+1 :good:

A moderator will be more effective with a larger volume.

A compact mod is easier to use. Also easier for your sights to see over it! To make it effective needs a bit more engineering.

No idea how he achieved it but what I said straight upfront was exactly how it was. A brass tube, 2/3rds the diameter of say a standard SAK producing reducing the volume of a standard CCI to less than a Winchester Sub through a wildcat mod.

Obviously need to record it and take a pic for you guys when I'm in next Tuesday!

Were does it state that a moderator must be proofed before for you fit it to your rifle?

You only need your fac to state that you can hold a moderator on your fac . mine has make unknown on the ticket.

I have several mods for my.22 rf's inc Parker-hale and sako and none of them are proofed .

I have also made a few mods from both metal inc copper,brass and steel and even used plastic waste pipe and old air gun springs and conduit.

I have being building them for over 20 years for my self as projects and never had one split or explode they will last longer than 50 shots as well.

bob