do i need to carry sgc with me

pigeon-hunter

good idea to have it on you, i have been stopped by police 3 times in 5 years with gun in the car, luckily had licence in glove box each time,so was able to show it straight away saved a lot of hassle i can tell you.

You obviously look a bit dodgy then :lol: :lol: ;)

Edited by spiceychilli57

I got stopped last December in lincs on the way home from duck shooting. Unmarked police car stopping all landrovers due to amount of thefts. Asked for name address etc, then were had I been, when I told them duck shoot he asked if I had a shotgun in vehicle. When I said yes he then asked to see my cert, I only carry a photocopy, to which he then said the chief of lincs police insists cert must be carried when shooting. I told him my there is nothing on the cert (south yorks)to say that, & my FLO said a copy would be a good idea but did not insist on it. Then he changed it to would be better if you carried the original as it could save alot of hassle in future.

A few year ago lamping rabbits with my brother drove round field once got back to gateway to find police parked up, thought it best to park 20yds away & walk up leaving brother in landie with rifle & let them know what we were doing. They were not interested just said carry on were not stopping long, think they were just keeping a low profile on night shift. :rolleyes:

Went to local gunsmith last week to drop barrels off after phoning him up.

His first question was can i have your certificate, hmm not got it only dropping barrels off.

He then went on to tell me why i should have it with me, they wont bother to look up on computer,

they will seize guns.

Told me about game shoot in Oswestry where shooters where asked for SGC not one had them with them,

police took all guns, ruined a days shooting for all of them.

I always have a copy of my SGC , BASC and any written permission letters with me when I am shooting.

I keep them in a separate wallet in my shooting bag.

You don't have to, but its no problem to do so.

+1 Get yourself a 50p ziplock plastic wallet and you're done. Unless you're out shooting in a skirt and have no pockets, you've got the memory of a goldfish and the habit of losing things or you're planning on doing some swimming, why not take your certs with you? :hmm:

If you get an a r s e y copper he might want to check each gun and its serial number, this information is not held on the PNC and if you're shooting out of office hours (and so contact can't be made with the FLD) you'll be losing your guns temporarily. <_< Mind not be so bad if you're stopped close to home, might be less fun if you're at the other end of the country and have to go home for your ticket then back to the force HQ your guns were taken to :oops:

Mark

Yes I always carry copies of the certificate and also my basc membership card. I use 3 guns (one of them a legal power airgun) and have a copy in each of the gun slips. I have had to show it once whilst pigeon shooting - and the copper was happy enough - he had already done a P.I.N. on my car - so the same name and address on my cert confirmed it. :yes: