This evenings stalk ruined

Beardo

Just popped out for a stalk and it all looked very promising - as i unlocked the gate to the farm, i nice Muntjac buck popped his head up in the first field (unfortunately can't shoot this field).

Drove up to the middle of the land and parked up then had a creep up the edge of some woods.

Got to the corner of two fields and spied a buck and doe out in the next field, so was just getting into position to shoot, when 4 late teens lads of two mini scrambler bikes ride out of the woods making an unholy racket.

Needless to say, all i saw of the Muntjac was white tails dissapearing at high speed.

I gave the little ***** a right mouthful and they left sharpish.

Too dark to continue then, so i headed back - funnily enough the first buck was still there by the gate on the way out though.

There's always tomorrow....

yeh its a real ****** whem it happens nick i was out on saturday evening on my shoot it nice warm great for roe stalking and every loud mouthed friggen rambler in the lothians three woods three time people cocked up a stalk shouting on dogs or kids or just talking through a loud speaker dont they realise they will see more wildlife if they shut the **** up why is it these people see the need to talk to each other at max volume ***** :no:

Edited by cocker3

I know that feeling Nick, I have been faced with the same but by the son of the landower so not much I could do about it.

I will dedicate ths evenings one to you :good:

Thats 3 in 2 days this is another purple patch, they are everywhere at the moment.

P1010497 (Large).JPG

and yesterdays effort

P1010490 (Large).JPG

I know that feeling Nick, I have been faced witht he same but by the son of the landower so not much I could do about it.

I will dedicate ths evenings one to you :good:

Thats 3 in 2 days this is another purple patch, they are everywhere at the moment.

post-2157-0-19883300-1303161660.jpg

and yesterdays effort

post-2157-0-21412000-1303161762.jpg

Nice looking deer mate, they look well graloched ;)

Edited by Dunkield

How did you get on with your Roe head fella?Did you get it into the Shooting Times review?

It was a Muntjac Sako, it made Silver in the end, just shy of Gold by 0.something 3 I think.

As I had it measured on 21st Decemebr it missed the cut-off for this year, but as one of the top 5 Silver medals shot last year he assures me it will be in next February's Shooting Times review.

As it happens a PW member shot one of the best Gold medal Muntjac in the UK last year as well.

It was a Muntjac Sako, it made Silver in the end, just shy of Gold by 0.something 3 I think.

As I had it measured on 21st Decemebr it missed the cut-off for this year, but as one of the top 5 Silver medals shot last year he assures me it will be in next February's Shooting Times review.

As it happens a PW member shot one of the best Gold medal Muntjac in the UK last year as well.

Not good when the margin it misses by is so small but thats the way of it.We dont get them up here but quite fancy paying for the priviledge of shooting a decent one sometime.I think i read you saying they are harder to stalk than the roe,and from what i have watched they do seem a very flighty and unpredictable deer which makes them a good adversary.

There were four of them, I didn't fancy my chances with any aggro so just told them to p off.

we get them as well and to put it mildly they are slightly annoying, have to say have had a few run ins with ones going straight across crops I usually find you can catch them in the truck if you place it carefully round bends ;)

If you have lots of trouble its well worth getting the number for the local rural officer as they will take it up pretty often if they are riding everywhere.

Rascal as they didn't mention it on here I am not going to 'out' them - sorry

Sako, yes IMO they are harder to stalk than roe, others may disagree, but it all depends on how they behaving at the time.

The one last night was walking when I shot it, that is normal, they rarely stand still, in my experience roe stand for ages especially when you want them to move just another foot or so - I waited 20 minutes for one to do that a couple of months ago :oops:

I could easily have shot 2-3 roe last night in the time I waited for that one muntjac.

The one I shot on Sunday with Stealth Stalker was no more than 20 yards from where we parked up, as it had just seen us I had to take it off hand, and quickly.

I pulled that shot slightly and it ran on about 30 yards as a result, all the others have dropped dead on the spot.

While SS was sorting that one out another just trotted along no more that 25 yards away so I shot that as well.

That has never happened before, and may never happen again, they are nothing if not unpredictable.

They have this reputation for being hard to kill but that isn't my experience at all, I would say being so small they are easy to miss and people use that as an excuse ;)

I like stalking them and like eating them even more, one reason I get fed up with people referring to them as pests.

Rascal as they didn't mention it on here I am not going to 'out' them - sorry

Sako, yes IMO they are harder to stalk than roe, others may disagree, but it all depends on how they behaving at the time.

The one last night was walking when I shot it, that is normal, they rarely stand still, in my experience roe stand for ages especially when you want them to move just another foot or so - I waited 20 minutes for one to do that a couple of months ago :oops:

I could easily have shot 2-3 roe last night in the time I waited for that one muntjac.

The one I shot on Sunday with Stealth Stalker was no more than 20 yards from where we parked up, as it had just seen us I had to take it off hand, and quickly.

I pulled that shot slightly and it ran on about 30 yards as a result, all the others have dropped dead on the spot.

While SS was sorting that one out another just trotted along no more that 25 yards away so I shot that as well.

That has never happened before, and may never happen again, they are nothing if not unpredictable.

They have this reputation for being hard to kill but that isn't my experience at all, I would say being so small they are easy to miss and people use that as an excuse ;)

I like stalking them and like eating them even more, one reason I get fed up with people referring to them as pests.

They are easy to kill, but as they are a smaller target you have to be more particular with bullet placement.

Just popped out for a stalk and it all looked very promising - as i unlocked the gate to the farm, i nice Muntjac buck popped his head up in the first field (unfortunately can't shoot this field).

Drove up to the middle of the land and parked up then had a creep up the edge of some woods.

Got to the corner of two fields and spied a buck and doe out in the next field, so was just getting into position to shoot, when 4 late teens lads of two mini scrambler bikes ride out of the woods making an unholy racket.

If they're now late teens I take it they wont be bothering you again.