Informing Police before shooting

kyska

Now, I've often publically stated on here that I do not ring the police everytime I shoot..but..after reading the reasoning why some people do on here I've decided its prudent in some cases.

The other night I was going onto our land, out of my force area to lamp from a vehicle (This is the only time I really ring), I have rung this out of force area a few times when I know I am around a sensitive area and generally, its a quick conversation, 'have a good evening shooting sir' and off I go.

This one call

1) My name

2) My address

3) My telephone number... I explained that my shooting partner will just need to get my number as I have a new phone and didn’t know it ‘off the top of my head’, to be told by your operator that I must know it, now, I do believe its really up to me if I wish to memorise my telephone number.

4) What I will be shooting

5) What calibre rifle I am using...to be told that the .17hmr is a 'bit much' for rabbits :huh:

6) VRN, Colour, Make of the vehicle

7) My occupation :look:

8) My ethnicity :blink:

9) How long will I be

10) Names of the people I'm with

This took nearly 8 minutes, on my mobile to tell them that I am shooting rabbits on our farm.

We drive off, and my phone rings..

11) Can they have the landowners name

12) The land owners home and mobile number

13) Then asked me if I'm sure I have permission to shoot!!! :no:

I'm perplexed. :lol:

I've written to this force, not as a complaint per se, but to ask them why on earth on that particular night they needed to know just about everything bar my sexual orientation.

Edited by kyska

Now that's just plain daft, every now and again they throw an extra question in... the most stupid being "Do i have permission to shoot", i'm sure this is just so they can get an easy armed trespass arrest in.

But that list is insane.

Now that's just plain daft, every now and again they throw an extra question in... the most stupid being "Do i have permission to shoot", i'm sure this is just so they can get an easy armed trespass arrest in.

But that list is insane.

I've virtually transcribed the letter I've sent to them, I was most put out being told that the calibre choice was wrong!

lol there ACE arnt they ....

Iv stoped ringing up cause iv had just the same question s as you mate and dont really care if they come im legal

once i rang up 5 mins on phone just got there and ARV pulled up behind said farmer had rung them and i was poaching

To witch i said your lieing mate he has not rang up cause he is sat next to me lol they soon backed down nummptys

just not worth hassle ther new question is good morning sir .....where have you bin

answer shooting

or right have you got a gun

errrr ...yes

any way its good fun

I have the incedent report office number for my area, i ring them for some of the permissions due to being close to properties and public places.

All they ask is what time i will be going and how long roughly will i be, i also ring them when i am done.

They have my phone number and if they do get a call from jo public and happen to need to check up, it saves them calling the AR unit and saves me from being put in what can be a very difficult and worring position.

The police department I ring when I am going shooting are no problem at all, it sounds like you got a bit of a newbie who was trying to be over efficient and knew nothing about guns!

All I get asked for is:

Name

Address

Contact Number.

Location I will be shooting at.

Start & finish time.

Occasionally my vehicle Reg No.

Doesn't usually take more than 2 minutes.

Maybe some forces want to know nore than others or more than they need to but our area are no problems at all!

What a joke i see the point on your behalf of wanting to 'do the righ thing' but thats just shocking. if it got to that point i would of just hung up and switched my phone off so the idiot couldnt rign back cos he sounds like a real idiot not just and idiot but a proper proper idiot. at the end of the day if your legal then i wouldnt even bother. i think its just more hassle informing them than its worth. this thread proving it. at the end of the conversation you should of said. oh and my favorite colour is purple im capricorn and my sock colour today is green. thanks bye lol.

I'm in Cleveland

And there are only 2 places out of the many i shoot on that i inform plod and then only because they back onto a housing estate

the call goes a bit like this...........

I ring ask for control room....... Hi just to let you know i am shooting XXXXXXXX tonight,they usually say is that Mike i say yes (once asked them how they knew it was me told me when i call my mobile number flags up)then get asked anyone with you...........tell them........OK thanks for calling will you let us know when you finish.....OK........have a good night..

And that is it I have had them ring me a few hours later when im back home as i have forgotten to call back... :good: :good:

Once when out with kdubya we were going lamping on a farm near Northallerton and as it was near a fairly busy road kdubya decided to ring north York police and let then know over 1/2 hour later he told them to forget it and hung up they wanted to know the far end of a f a r t and which way the wind was blowing it.. :no: :no:

Cumbria are fine when I ring they know who I am from call records they just ask :

Where I'm Going

Which vehicle I'm using

Start and finish time

Type of firearm

However I have had one numpty ask landowners name,phone number and the dumbest question in my opinion 'Do you have permission to shoot there?' As if I would be ringing to inform them I was heading out shooting without permission.

i used to shoot around stanstead airport and was asked to inform them every time i took my guns out, this was a highly patrolled area and it saved me from being thrown on me back with an ak47 in my face, however all i had to do was ring tell them my name where i was shooting, end of, you must of pulled a rookie, we all gotta start somewhere, cheers matt

But all of this does highlight a lack of training throughout - not being funny, it's not difficult, surely, to have a standard set of questions that you ask when taking a call of this nature. How long would it take to make one? Maybe 5 minutes?

Does my head in!

i dont allways ring as it depends on where im going to be .when i do they just bring my details up and say ring us when you have finished but now and then they ask allsorts one morning i rung in and the opp asked if i was lamping foxes i said no. :no: so are you lamping rabbits i againe said no :no: im shooting pigeons and as its the morning with daylight i don't need a lamp the answer came back arrr OK THEN I HAD NOT THOUGHT OF THAT ok have a good day :lol:

Well, an update, I e mailed the said force yesterday and had two e mails this morning, one from an admin lady, and one from the 'call demand manager' who said that she had passed this onto the Chief Inspector...who rang me this afternoon to discuss.

I'm humbled, the response was fantasic, the CI agreed with me that the 'questioning' was excessive and he will be looking at the protocol for volunteer calls coming in. He told me that I would be getting written feedback in the next week.

He thanked me for the comments, and said that he saw the shortfalls immediately after listening to the actual phonecall. I know he wasn't bulling me as he commented on a mobile phone comment that I didn't put into the e-mail.

Top marks to them. :good: