Where do you eject your spent cartridges?

Are you a discreet 'into the hand - into the bin'' ejector, or do you prefer the 'gangsta style' of invert the gun, aim for the plastic bin and fire 'em into that (and hope you hit it), or do you simply break the barrels, let fly and hope you don't have out the eye of the chap to your stern quarter?

Semi-autos need not apply, unless you have one of those special magnet thingys...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah me too, the thing that gets me is that it involves so much extra effort, often involves a 'miss', looks amateurish and is usually perpetuated by novices learning from other novices. You can bet they'll be the ones waving the gun about at some point too..

A practice ground I use is frequented by a fair few 'posh' game shooters (red trousers, you know...) and you always know when they've been on the stand, bleedin mess everywhere.

Edited by Thunderbird

I have no real idea why clay guns are not made as non-ejectors, in this day and age. I know the odd one can be switched off - Browning etc. Why do you need ejectors?

Good point. I think a lot of clay sporters are made with the thought that someone will at some point use it for game or rough shooting. Mind you many farmers would not appreciate piles of spent carts everywhere anyway. I wonder if all pure competition grade guns are still ejectors - I honestly don't know...?

I go gangsta style, invert the gun and spit them straight in the bin. And they go in every time too. I find it easier, quicker and less amateur looking than trying to fumble around breaking the gun, holding it with one hand and then covering the chamber before they pop out.

If I'm shooting game I pop them up in the air and catch them in my teeth. :good:

quick edit: A guy goes to my local ground - if he hits the pair, he puts the carts in the bin. If he misses, he spits them out on the ground and swears. :rolleyes:

Edited by J@mes

I put my hand over the shells to stop them flying out. I have no real idea why clay guns are not made as non-ejectors, in this day and age. I know the odd one can be switched off - Browning etc. Why do you need ejectors?

That`s an easy one Gordon, not all guns lift the fired shells far enough off the breech face to make removal easy. Even those that do would be a nightmare in winter for instance if you are wearing gloves.

In short ejectors are a definite help in fluid shooting which aids concentration. I think that most people can learn to either catch or slap the empties towards the bin. Also most people tend to use their clay gun for game and pigeon too and ejectors are certainly an aid in speed loading in these situations. I`d rather spend 40 seconds finding empties than rue a lost, pricked bird I may have got with a quick chaser.

Hand :good: .

Though I did go through a brief spate of spitting them into the bin, 'cos it was at the side and easy to do - till I clonked the barrels on the cage :blush:. Now I always eject into hand and then into the bin.

I can't do with seeing spent carts everywhere :no: .

I was told by my gunsmith that firing them into the bin unloads the ejector kicker before it goes off and can result in a broken ejector after a while. The reason being the cartridge starts to fall out the chamber before the ejector fires.

+1 he is totally right :yes::good:

Can't stand watching people turning guns upside down and ejecting them in the bin.

They look like ***** and the effort involved in dicking about like that is about 10 times what it takes to catch them and flip them in the bin.

I suppose they think they look cool. They need to see it in a mirror :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always into hand. Can't stand it when someone twists the gun around and spits them into the bin.

I'm the same, natural now to catch them but novices do the invert the gun bit (no idea why as I have never seen a coach show them to do it) and my dad started doing it (I did shout at him but every time he went to open the gun same thing) I have no idea how i started catching them or when but I did...

Edited by HDAV

+1 he is totally right :yes::good:

Yep, it's also considered bad practice, certainly on a skeet range on stands 5,6 & 7 as the muzzles point at the squad. It also causes premature wear to the gun.

When shooting an O\U I break the gun partially then use my hand to catch the cartridges and put them in the bin.

I mainly shoot an auto and they go on the floor and kicked out of the way then picked up with a pickup stick.

Jon.

I don't like ejaculating cartridges all over the place so usually do it into my hand. If its cold and I'm wearing woolly gloves then I eject them towards my stomach and let them drop to my feet/the bin.

If I'm anywhere other than a clay ground, they go into my pockets.