• to pass the time
    • because I plink a lot
    • all of the above

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't vote because I don't reload.

I don't reload because decent shop ammo works fine in my rifles and I am realistic enough to recognise that the 1" MOA Winchester silvertips give me at 100 yards are plenty enough to shoot everything I need to and whilst I'm sure groupings could be reduced to .5" MOA if I went down the reloading route, however, I'm normally quite busy, reasonably sociable, have a wide spectrum of friends, work to do and a living to earn, a wife and family.... and, ah, yes, that's it, I don't reload because I have a life :lol:

EDIT

Incidentally I have been keeping an eye on the long range willy waving threads. The most telling post was by your man Wymberly - in the field (where I shoot) it's off the top of a 4x4, either me or the target could be moving and more than likely I will be out of breath because I am a fatty. Accordingly, 1" at 100 yards suits me fine all day long and when you are out there and out of breath it's a long way from a bench, a range and ideal conditions.

You just can't get bench / range acuracy in the field and so it's not worth getting that wound up about a gnats cock's variance in groupings on paper - there are soooo many other variables and factors to take into account.

Incidentally, if you are a mad keen bench rest shooter then knock yourself out with your reloading, micrometers and graph paper (insert yawning smiley).

Edited by Mungler

I don't reload because decent shop ammo works fine in my rifles and I am realistic enough to recognise that the 1" MOA Winchester silvertips give me at 100 yards are plenty enough to shoot everything I need to and whilst I'm sure groupings could be reduced to .5" MOA if I went down the reloading route, however, I'm normally quite busy, reasonably sociable, have a wide spectrum of friends, work to do and a living to earn, a wife and family.... and, ah, yes, that's it, I don't reload because I have a life :lol:

Same here, well almost, i'm a lazy bleeder and would much rather spend my time and money on useless tat like helicopters, :good:

so i can crash them :oops:

and buy new guns that actually fit me for a change.

However, it's not a bad idea if you shoot lots of stuff, whether they be targets or vermin/pests, i just don't have the time, i'm too busy elsewhere.

EDIT

Incidentally I have been keeping an eye on the long range willy waving threads. The most telling post was by your man Wymberly - in the field (where I shoot) it's off the top of a 4x4, either me or the target could be moving and more than likely I will be out of breath because I am a fatty. Accordingly, 1" at 100 yards suits me fine all day long and when you are out there and out of breath it's a long way from a bench, a range and ideal conditions.

You just can't get bench / range acuracy in the field and so it's not worth getting that wound up about a gnats cock's variance in groupings on paper - there are soooo many other variables and factors to take into account.

Incidentally, if you are a mad keen bench rest shooter then knock yourself out with your reloading, micrometers and graph paper (insert yawning smiley).

Bit harsh on the paper punchers and reloaders Mungler after all maybe the latter just want to save a little cash?? and TBH for someone who suggests enjoying such an active social life I wonder were you find the time for 12.5k posts on here ?

Incidentally I dont reload myself - just dont see the point on picking on people who choose it as a hobby or skill for that matter.....

I didn't see it as being picked on, rather that he's being a p*** taking ******* yet again. No need to get all offended over it fella. We all have our ways of having fun, and Mungler appears to like making light hearted comments. And he openly admitted being a fat ****er who can't shoot straight, so why would he bother chasing perfection? ;)

I reload because then I can shoot premium ammo for the price of Prvi. I used to load Barnes TSX for my 6.5x55 for about the same cost as the very cheapest SP ammo, and it was pretty accurate too. I, unlike Mungler have all the time in the world and no life what so ever! :lol:

I don't, I just get someone else to do it for me :big_boss:

I've spent hours trying to think of a safe way to create a trick load (like a confetti shotgun cartridge) for a rifle. Luckily for you I haven't got anywhere with it because if I did you'd really hate me! :yp: :D

I do it for a mix of reasons, but not to anal levels once I have it set up and a load that works I just use it. With it set up 20 rounds can be knocked up in 15 minutes so time isn't really a problem, might save money if I shoot for the next 25 years :lol:

p.s mungler do the bigger silvertips work better on deer than the .223 ones? never seen as much internal damage as when I used one of your cheapies :oops:

Reason for you chaps to not reload, 1) your all probably shooting gamo's, still waiting to get a live firing rifle ie Dekers, mungler, kent,dunkeld :lol:

You don't get to shoot much, which is fair enough, and finally ignorance and fear of ones own stupidity.

My answer to the question, I reload because I enjoy it and it means I can shoot for less, I dont target shoot but plink a bit in the fields when not shooting deer. Its very satisfying shooting a deer with your own ammo, to me anyhow. Its a hobby you can pick up and put down whenever you feel like it and it does save you money in the long run. Its a great excuse to get into the shed for some piece n quiet and you learn an awefully lot about the tool you are using.

This group cost me about 22pence per hole.

I would love to know what the break even point is in reloading when *everything* is taken into consideration - the kit, the bits, the manuals, the testing and above all the time (even just valued at minimum wage).

I think you would have to shoot an awful lot before hitting break even when measured against an average run of the mill over the counter round.

Obviously, if you are a range monkey or target shooter then you will hit break even very quickly. The average stalker (deer or fox) is not likely to fire more than what 200 rounds at living creatures (not counting messing about, zeroing or any notion of taking say a .308 to a rabbit for hell of it).

Edited by Mungler

I would love to know what the break even point is in reloading when *everything* is taken into consideration - the kit, the bits, the manuals, the testing and above all the time (even just valued at minimum wage).

I think you would have to shoot an awful lot before hitting break even when measured against an average run of the mill over the counter round.

Obviously, if you are a range monkey or target shooter then you will hit break even very quickly. The average stalker (deer or fox) is not likely to fire more than what 200 rounds at living creatures (not counting messing about, zeroing or any notion of taking say a .308 to a rabbit for hell of it).

Break even point.... pahhh... my reloading gear has cost probably thousands... Reloading, if done with the most expensive (note I didn't write 'best'.... although what I got probably is :rolleyes: ) gear is NOT a money saving excercise.... money 'pit' is more realistic.

I could save money shooting even the best quality factory ammo but.... with my home loads I can shoot 5 rounds through exactly the same hole at 100yds and get most of, if not all of them to fall within a 10" circle at 1000yds... I'd need to buy pretty special factory loads (they are available) to guarantee that.. As I have the gear already for target loads, it makes sense to make my own hunting loads and 'tweak' them to perform exactly how I want them to rather than have to 'make do' with the performance the factory limits me to, especially with the 6.5 as most factory gear is downloaded to make allowances for the large number of old Mausers floating round the states that can't take a modern load.

I also really enjoy doing it... I wish I had the space to have all my reloading gear permanently set up but alas I have to get it out and put it away again each time I have a 'session.'

The final reason is that I like the security of knowing I CAN manufacture my own ammunition rather than having to source factory loads.

Edited by Vipa

Do you need to add time to the equation, do you think about the amount you have saved on an organised stalk when you take yourself out, its about the enjoyment surely. If you don't like doing it then buy some ammo, it won't make any differance to my life. The best ammo my Remmy liked was RWS, think it was over 30 notes a box when I bought some, I'm getting better accuracy now and alot cheaper. Considering this I'm saving a pound a pop and I have reloaded 300 rnds this year,my reloading kit cost me under £200 so I reckon from now on its a saving don't you think.

I must be strange. I don't crave to shoot everything and anything beyond 200 yards and out to atleast 704 yards and I actually dislike the whole testing / zeroing / setting up 'thing' and just see it as a waste of time that could be spent doing something else or out shooting.

I must be strange. I don't crave to shoot everything and anything beyond 200 yards and out to atleast 704 yards and I actually dislike the whole testing / zeroing / setting up 'thing' and just see it as a waste of time that could be spent doing something else or out shooting.

The only thing I crave to shoot beyond 200 yards is paper... The feeling you get after you have pulled the trigger at 1000 yards, to see the target go down and then come up with a red score marker on it (that's a v-bull) is just awesome!

When I was using factory ammo in my 6.5, it wasn't expanding... just not pushed fast enough... I can now get my Nosler Partitions going quick enough so they work efficiently, even on a small beast :yes:

Simply do it to save money.I can load a box of 357mag for approximately £5 while factory stuff is hovering around £18 so the savings are substantial.Im gonna do 303 next which should work out at around £30 per 100 which is atleast £20 cheaper than factory.

I cant put a price on the actual making because i dont mind doing it.

I used to reload for my .222.

Hated doing it... it took me ages to reload 20 rounds.

Sold the kit.

So why, now I have a .223 that shoots straight with factory ammo am I looking at reloading kit again?

Come on Mungler - keep talking down reloading - you will save me some money.

Edited by ian_in_the_midlands

Isnt testing/zeroing/setting up,' Out shooting'.

so making sure your kit is right and you are right is a waste of time :hmm: do you think you should be shooting live animals not knowing what the results will be :no:

I think Ive heard it all now

Edited by Ackley