More cartridge price rises coming

fenboy

Been to top up my cartridge supply today and have been told they are on the up again I have been using Winchester GB 30g 6.5 fibre for a while now and found them a great cartridge at the £188 a 1000 I had been paying though they were decent enough value ,the dealer said that the next lot have gone up to around £230 a 1000 so he will no longer be getting them in,even gamebore are going up a average of another £14 per 1000 ,where do you think this is going to end two years ago I was paying £110 1000 for a reasonable shell, makes me wonder if to start trying steel !

Edited by fenboy

Never tried steel, not even on clays, I just don't like the fact that you have to stick with half choke max. Saying that, I have 1/4 and 1/2 in so shouldn't be a problem. The only way is to try them and see how you get on!

Who said you have to stick to half choke? For most steel clay shells you can go up to full choke thats with Gamebore shells

Edited by MJT

Who said you have to stick to half choke? For most steel clay shells you can go up to full choke thats with Gamebore shells

Yeah, but that's just Gamebore saying that. They're in the market to sell steel shells.

All the major gun manufacturers recommend 1/2 choke or less.

I have just yesterday bought 3K Cartridge for our small clay club,

1K Eley First, 1K Hull Comp, 1K Kent Velocity all #7.5 - 28 gram fibre,

I am a bit suspicious as they are all at exactly the same price £154 per 1K total bill £462:00, Think the whole clay pricing needs investigating as it does look like a possibility that some pricing **** is going on, the competition from abroad, that used to be a cheap source, seems to have caught on with importers hiking prices up on the cheaper ones from abroad.?

I just looked at my records and I bought 3K for the clay club on 18/12/2010 all Eley First for £420:00. my supplier tried to cheer me up, when I grumbled at the extra by saying, " there are more price rise in the pipe line" and he's been told his next purchase will be dearer again. He assured me he only make's £5 per thousand on them, and he is one of the cheapest in our area.

I was in quite a good mood before I wrote this. Short and Curly and got ya springs to mind.

Guest cookoff013

loading steel will only got the price down to 180/k. i did a price check ages ago, so dont quote me.

25grains A0 (£17 per .5kg)

24grams shot#5 or #6 (24kilos per 1000shells)

primer 3p

wad 4p

should be quick enough for the job of pigeon.

i do think steel is a viable option. but not many will be that bothered about loading them.

there is a steel shot limit of +3mm in chokes tighter than 1/2 (whatever that is)

and smaller shot can be shot in tighter chokes. although i would only use max 1/2 anyway.

the information is available from the cip. who regulate cartridges.

the manufacturers just sasy no steel shot above 1/2choke to stop any misconceptions of shotsize.

this is a big problem.

Can't say I blame you. Its got to be better than steel!! :lol:

Yes, my thoughts entirely............until I tried some Gamebore 32g Steel 5's over decoyed pigeons through the 1/4 choke in my Benelli Supersport a few months back, I was killing some long birds, I can honestly say I noticed no difference to using Lead. :no:

Cat