IS IT ALLOWED?

wol the hunter

Evening to all.

i really do feel i have been ganged up on this evening.

will somebody other than people who think they are right please educate me and maybe some others about shooting vermin and pest species up trees with 22 rim.

BASC and FAO are very contradictory and nervous about given me a straight answer.one sais yes if it is half way down tree and other sais you may do so if you are sure about safety if you wre to miss.

please only answer if you are sure and dont have a dig at me because this is the sort of debate that antis love.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOL, first of all i was not having a personal dig at you, sorry if you felt that way.

Now here it is from the firearms act:

13.17 The rifle cartridge most commonly used to shoot ground game and vermin is .22 rimfire. If a combination rifle/shot gun (such as a German “Drilling”) is used, the rifle calibre should be .22 rimfire. More powerful rounds such as .17 Remington and .22 Hornet are suitable for ground game and vermin, and may be considered if the applicant also intends to shoot fox to avoid possession of a furthergun. Expanding ammunition may be granted for shooting vermin.

Ground game and vermin are the key words :/:/ :look:

let me put it this way... how would you like to be shot by a 12ftlb airgun in the head at next to no range. Well a 40grain .22lr projectile is doing 16ftlb at 1000 yards so is carrying more energy than an 12ftlb airgun and doing about 450 fps, so its going to do you no good.

Granted the chances of you actually hitting someone are very slim, and the truth be known the bullet probably wont carry anywhere near this energy if fired straight up. However there have been people killed by the rimfire at 1mile (or 1km.. cant recall which) and the risk isnt worth taking in my honest opinion. If i felt there wasnt a risk then i would do it too. The 12ftlb airgun is a very limiting tool at times (as the .22lr can be as well) but im affraid this or a FAC airgun or a shotgun are all you can safely use.

i would be intrested to see some data from a very powerful fac air rifle using a heavy projectile, as i suspect this would be an eye opener. However as airgun pellets tend not to exceed 20grain and most fac airguns are around 35-50 ftlb this is about half that of the .22lr (although still food for thought :/ )

as far as half way down a tree.... no problem, its a backstop, if you can keep your bullets against this... then i see no difference between this and a bank for a backstop (although the chances of a ricochet would be greater)

just please dont take shots at things high in tree's, if you kill or injur someone you will not only get yourself into some serious trouble but our sport, and most importantly of all you could kill someone.

When night hunting raccoons, the hound will tree the coon. The coon is then shot out of the tree using .22 cal shorts or longs depending on the situation. As Nick has said be sure you have a back stop incase you miss.

The .22 cal is also the weapon of chose for squirrel hunting firing .22 cal shorts or longs again depending on the situation and again being sure that you have a trunk behind as a back stop.

NTTF

wol. i dont think you will get any back up at all on this one from any FAC holder on this or any other site. this last question you have asked shows you dont want to take on the info that some very experienced shooters are giving you.one question you should be asking yourself is, can i be trusted with a firearm.they may be writen rules about what you ask , and they may not.

commen sence is what we are told to use, sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but i dont want to hear you have you have maimed someone with a stray bullet.

wol. i dont think you will get any back up at all on this one from any FAC holder on this or any other site. this last question you have asked shows you dont want to take on the info that some very experienced shooters are giving you.one question you should be asking yourself is, can i be trusted with a firearm.they may be writen rules about what you ask , and they may not.

commen sence is what we are told to use, sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but i dont want to hear you have you have maimed someone with a stray bullet.

Mark ;

Am I to take it that you are saying you should not shoot up into a tree with a .22 cal? or any other rifle?

NTTF

I always wondered about a projectile comming DOWN to earth with speed and weight and how much damage it can do if it strikes someone.

You see these numpties on the news in Iraq firing their AK's into the air.

Those rounds gotta come down somewhere :/

And what about the person UNDER in when it touches down :/

LG

Mark ;

I dont live in a vast wilderness either, but how would you suggest that we harvest the racoons, bears, or cougars that are treed by the hounds?

A .22 cal fired at a squirrel or coon, is perfectly acceptable if fired with a safe back stop. I have heard more bullets ricoche in a field off of hard ground, than I have hitting a tree trunk.

And NO this is not a personal attack....I am just wondering why you are condeming a legitimate shot?

NTTF

I always wondered about a projectile comming DOWN to earth with speed and weight and how much damage it can do if it strikes someone.

You see these numpties on the news in Iraq firing their AK's into the air.

Those rounds gotta come down somewhere :/

And what about the person UNDER in when it touches down :/

LG

As long as our troops keep their tin lids on what difference does it make :look:

Tam.

In sweden they use .222 to shoot Game birds from trees. There was an article in ST a few years back where two brothers were out shooting and decided to go on either side of the valley. Anyway one brother lined up on a bird in some conifers and brought down the bird. The bullet however carried on and killed his brother on the other side of the valley :/:/

Lets not start a Forum War, but can anyone post links to details of people being wounded, or killed by falling bullets ?

I have never heard of this as a fact, plenty of fourth hand stories, but never anything proven.

What about shooting branchers (young rooks) with .22 shorts, thats been going on for years ?

Didn't they use to shoot capercaille out of trees with rifles ?

legitimate shot?

in your opinion , not mine. if the animals you shoot that are stuck up a tree hanging on to the main trunk (which they all do) are safe to shoot then you do it. yanks shoot deer with a .22. i have heard in your place they shoot bears with . 17 hmr.each to there own.

I dont know who you have been talking to but I personally dont know of any "Yanks " shooting deer with a .22 cal and as for shooting bears with a .17 cal you would only do it once :/:/ :look: :D

Now fair enough if you are not comfortable shooting tree shots with a .22 As I would never ask anyone to take a shot they were not comfortable with.

My only point is that we have alot of animals harvested from the trees, and trust me your air rifle is not going to do it, taking an elevated shot at a target in a tree with a solid back stop is an ethical shot when performed properly.

NTTF

taking an elevated shot at a target in a tree with a solid back stop is an ethical shot when performed properly.

this is probably true but how many birds sit in line with a tree trunk.

plus trhe fact that all spent ammo should land on the shooters permission.

good night all , my bed is waiting. :/

this is probably true but how many birds sit in line with a tree trunk.

plus trhe fact that all spent ammo should land on the shooters permission.

good night all , my bed is waiting. :/

If the spent ammo is landing on the shooters permission then he is not using a trunk as a back stop.

NTTF

i shot many a feral cat in oz that my dog had treed. but always with the shot gun. i was never tempted to do it with the 6.5 even though i allways had it in the truck. and i was often shooting 100miles from the nearest tarmac road, thing is that there isnt a cat , rabbit ,,fox ,magpie, squirrel ,crow or pheasant that is worth injuring or killing another person for.

unless you can see where the round is going to end up then dont pull the trigger :

:/ :look: :D