defender 110 a reg

mad1

hi all i have been offered a 1984 110 2.25 petrol for literally next to nothing . Does anyone run one and what problems can i expect to encounter i dont mind doing the spanner work at all the thing is its been parked for 12 years and parked in a drive under a tree :oops: first how can i quickly tidy up the paint work so it does not look too bad for when the wife sees it :huh: whats the best stuff to clean the body work up . I am fully expectin to have to do a bit (probably a lot )of work on it but its only going to be used for shootin etc. . Also any advise on what to do before i try to start it for the first time after standing for so long ie turn it over by hand etc. . Any one in or around the north east who would be able to help if need be . many thanks for your expected replys m1 :good:

Well a blast with a pressure washer would knock most of the **** off.

Its battery will be S****** so you would need a new one.

If its been left without much fuel in it will most likley be contaminated with condinsation.

Adderess these problems then hand crank a few times then try the starter.

It will probibily need a lot of other work done, the chassis have a bit of a reputatin, however can be esily fixed witha bit of know how.

One last point it will probibily drink fuel.

You like mig welding?? you will soon... :lol:

good find for next to nothing though!

you will most likely need to weld/replace -

1) Bulkhead

2) Foot wells

3) chassis outriggers

4) Chassis rear crossmember

5) Rear body floor.

6) front hub swivels and seals may be u/s

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

I use Island4x4 for Defender parts. It's a good idea to change the oil in everything too - engine, diffs, gearbox and transfer box. Or at the very least top them up. Most likely all the brakes will be seized up and need hitting/prying/swearing to release them. As mentioned above, nearly everything rusts away on old landies. Once you get it looking reasonable give it a coat of waxoyl on the underside to keep the rot out.

This will definitely keep you busy for some time :lol:

run away from it as fast as you can, simply put it will be a money pit unless you want another hobby to stop you going shooting. The engine is one of the worst they fit a dog to drive and very very thirsty. So bearing in mind you need to swap the engine and do a full overhaul you are talking thousands to get it to a reasonable state

run away from it as fast as you can, simply put it will be a money pit unless you want another hobby to stop you going shooting. The engine is one of the worst they fit a dog to drive and very very thirsty. So bearing in mind you need to swap the engine and do a full overhaul you are talking thousands to get it to a reasonable state

oh Alex you are such a kill joy, you sure you are not part Japanese :lol::lol::lol:

Save the Landy I say :good::good::good:

ps not so sure about feeding a petrol engine though :o :o

oh Alex you are such a kill joy, you sure you are not part Japanese :lol::lol::lol:

Save the Landy I say :good::good::good:

ps not so sure about feeding a petrol engine though :o :o

come on do you really want to stitch the poor guy up with a money pit when he could go out and buy a working landrover with a decent engine for far less than this one will cost to get going.

Its not even my usual lifes too short to own a landrover thought but with a petrol one thats sat that long you will be nearly building a new one

come on do you really want to stitch the poor guy up with a money pit when he could go out and buy a working landrover with a decent engine for far less than this one will cost to get going.

Its not even my usual lifes too short to own a landrover thought but with a petrol one thats sat that long you will be nearly building a new one

From an eccentric hobbyist/motorist point of view I'd say no, it'll only get used for shooting so it doesn't matter if it's a thirsty heap. Getting it going will be relatively simple, but getting it perfect will take a lifetime.

But other than that I agree :look:

A 1984 reg will make it an early 110, with old style door handles and if it has the galv body cappings it's definitely worth saving (especially if you're a landy nut!) Should have as is it not a B reg?

The 2.25 is actually a rather nice engine I think (got one myself) but will not be quick in a 110 to say the least, and with a good tune up you will be lucky to get 20 mpg on a long trip.

Change the engine oil before starting wouldn't go amiss, to save churning that 12 yr old rubbish up which will be full of water, along with all the transmission oils. Bit of know how in the ignition department and maybe a few new ignition components should have it firing up in no time :good:

But yeah may well be rotten underneath, but nothing a spot of welding won't fix B)

Edited by George1990

• 2 weeks later...

i agree paddock will have just about everything you need, door frames will be rotten and doors cost a fortune, look on ebay and you can buy repair sections and fix the frame.

its an old landy and will keep you busy but will go for ever, i run an old b reg 110 and wouldn't get rid for anythin

Does it have the flush grille? my grandfather had 2.25 petrol S3 and changed it for the 2.5 Diesel Turbo 110 in 1990 (just before the term Defender was coined and the 200tdi came in he always said he should have waited 3 months more for new model) there were many odd ball specs that rolled out of Solihull, Was it always Civie spec or is it EX MOD?